Westside Gunn - Pray for Paris (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Lol I'm playing this track over and over and this nikka is not concerned about the beat at all

I actually want a roc-less version of this track
This might be a hot take or not, I dunno.

I liked Roc on the track but there were a few moments where I thought he started to veer too off beat.

He's been getting to the point where he's flowing in and out of the pocket and not staying on beat all the time. Especially on the new Marcielago album. For the most part I like it and I thought it worked really well on there, like on Ephesians. That's a good example of it.

But yeah I agree there were a couple spots on 500 Ounces where I didn't love it.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Just ran through it on youtube, not a bad project :ehh: I don't fukk with WSG's delivery or his adlibs but he did his thing on Allah Sent Me and Euro Step. The features are fire for the most part, Boldy James on Claiborne Kicks :whew:

Honestly didn't fukk with 500 ounces, neither Gibbs nor Roc sounded good on this beat despite it sounding like a Roc Marciano beat. Roc's flow was all over the place and even though Gibbs rode the beat, it sounded phoned in.

The production is fire, Euro Step made for cyphers

O/A this is a 7/10, with a better headliner it would most likely be pushing high 8/low 9 territory. Still a good project though

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
327 though
Good to hear that rapper Tyler has not only never lost a step but might even be better than he was before he "stopped" rapping rapping :wow:

LoMax30

Bokeem Hoodbine
Daps
Reppin
Chopped Cheese & Snapple Iced Tea
im curious what is about westside that some of yall dont like?

i fw hi he may not be a better overall rapper than con, but i aint gotta lie I prolly enjoy his music and find him more entertaining than Con. Now that I thnk about it
I've honestly been trying to give WSG a chance for the past few years but his music just doesn't agree with me :hubie:

The adlibs, the super duper saucey 10x beyond NYC accent he raps in, extreme lo-fi beat selection, the flat yelling-rap style, etc. A lot of it comes off forced to my ear. Yes, I agree that he "curates" projects but I think that's what takes away from them as everything seems a bit too polished, if that makes any sense? It's like, gritty music can't be overcalculated. And from the interviews I've watched there are certain quirks about his personality that has me like mehhh.

I'm sure my opinion is unpopular but I'm just sharing an alternate view :manny:

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
Alright... Allah Sent Me is the One.

Uh, got a hundred thousand in KAWS statues (Hah)
My bytch body like Megan, her shyt is all natural (Talk to 'em)
Ayo, leave you on the yard for a hundred mackerels(Ah)
nikkas know my flow sacred as a hundred chapels (A hundred chapels)
I built another statue up from the gravel (The gravel)
My crib need two more closets and another bathroom
Y'all keep the accolades, I'll take the stacks, Maybachs and things
Every twelve months, my address change

I get a rush just from clappin' things (Boom, boom, boom, boom)
I took the umbrella out the double R, the bullets had to ring (Brr)
My nikka did twenty up north, he don't act the same(Ah)
Take him to Rolling Loud, he tryna snatch a rapper chain
We open traps in the hood and we stack the change (Uh-huh)
Everyday, twenty thousand worth of trafficked 'caine, [\quote]

giphy.gif