Weighted Vest Runs

Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood
I’ve used a 20lb vest a few times. A lot more strain on my knees. I had the vest as close to my body as possible as well. I’d rather use em doing calisthenics than on a run.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Years ago I lost 50 lbs in 6 months, mostly by hiking on hills in a 40lb vest.
I was perfectly fine with hiking with all that weight, I never had problems until I started trying to run on the beach with the vest on.

Interestingly, everyone told me that I would have knee problems, but my knees never bothered me at all. What started giving me problems was my heels (my achilles tendon, I assume).

So, I'd definitely recommend walking/going uphill with the vest on, but not running. At least, not with the vest fully loaded.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Looking for a way to make my runs a little tougher/different? Anyone ever mess with weighted vests?
weight vest is a terrible idea for running

if you want to make the runs more challenging

1)get a set of small coated hand weights
products-4715NX_neoprene_weights_3.jpg

use the lightest ,set carry them in hands during your runs
you'll feel the difference instantly

2)if you're running on a track, switch the pace , faster on straight aways..slower on curves..100 meters each

use a visual marker on one side of the track......the other side will have the straight away marked

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O
Running with hand or ankle weights may do a bit more to target arms and leg muscles, but could also leave you more prone to injury. It may be safer to run with a weighted vest, which will distribute the weight more safely. This will help you build aerobic strength without as much added risk of injury.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Just try a whole bunch of stuff (weighted vests, lighter sized weighted vests, light weights, ankle weights, a big backpack with weights).

Whatever works for you works for you. All these 'experts' on the thread will tell you one will be better or worse than the other.

Just take it easy to begin with and work out which one works best.

FWIW Errol Spence runs and works out with a cheap 20 lbs everlast weighted vest in camp.

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O
Just try a whole bunch of stuff (weighted vests, lighter sized weighted vests, light weights, ankle weights, a big backpack with weights).

Whatever works for you works for you. All these 'experts' on the thread will tell you one will be better or worse than the other.

Just take it easy to begin with and work out which one works best.

FWIW Errol Spence runs and works out with a cheap 20 lbs everlast weighted vest in camp.
Exactly
They say start with 10%of your bodyweight

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O
Running with a weight vest might increase your bone density
When training with a weighted vest carrying the extra weight requires your muscles and respiratory system to work harder. Plus, the heavy the load you are carrying the more the muscles have to work and adapt. Running with extra weight will build a muscular endurance which will help long distance runners
Running with a weighted vest will increase the intensity of your workout, along with your heart rate. Those two advantages bring additional benefits with them: improved leg and core body strength, increased stability, more fast-twitch muscle fibers are activated and endurance is improved.

Read this

The Benefits of Training with a Weight Vest | BoxLife Magazine

Nasty_Nate

Each one, teach one...
Daps
Reppin
I’d say not worth it, if you’re talking about long runs vs sprints. Like what’s already been said, eventually you’ll mess up your knees doing that constantly. It might not be a bad idea for occasional use though, when doing sprints or some other HIIT type workout.