Website cost?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Just curious, how much do y'all think it costs to run a website like this?

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
With the issues this place been having, I've been giving more thought to starting a forum. I just have no idea how to do it.

May not really competing with thecoli...I was always wanted to start my own website and discussion forum really.

another problem I have is I'm really busy all these next couple of months so I don't know when I have the time to learn.

Already have a domain name but that's about it.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
For some reason I was expecting more.

I would guess at least $250-500/month for hosting alone, let alone SSL Certs and Firewall:huhldup:

The coli is fukking huge between all the smilies/gifs being hosted in the media section, threads, and thousands of active posters...it’s definitely not cheap when you’re at this scale

EDIT: just saw your other post regarding starting your own forum. You could definitely do it for much cheaper at a small scale but once you get a certain amount of active users you’re gonna have to pay for better hosting in order to have the sites performance still be smooth for everybody

Last edited:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
@Pete Wrigley
I would guess at least $250-500/month for hosting alone, let alone SSL Certs and Firewall

EDIT: just saw your other post regarding starting your own forum. You could definitely do it for much cheaper at a small scale but once you get a certain amount of active users you’re gonna have to pay for better hosting in order to have the sites performance still be smooth for everybody

Nah it ain’t that much unless you expecting traffic like the Coli. I would just get a dedicated or vps server based on your traffic. I pay only $60 a month for mine
Run banner ads and you’ll make money with the right volume :myman:
So what would be the best way just to get started...

Pete Wrigley

Twerk, Petunia, Twerk!
Supporter
Daps
@Pete Wrigley

So what would be the best way just to get started...
Find a host and talk to them about what you want to do.

The company I work for uses Liquid Web and they have been great with helping us admin our web servers.

But there is a lot of hosting companies out there so you may have to just research a bit...maybe even find out what other forums are doing for hosting.

From there, you'll have to find a forum software
/platform to use. Part of this decision will have to do with what backend language you plan on using (PHP, nodejs, etc.). Again, another thing you'll have to research and this will possibly involve a web developer to guide you along. Your hosting company may be able to help here as well.

This is your starting point and once you're set here, then you can start the web design process.

I know it sounds like a lot but really, most of it is just research.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else or if you have any more questions.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Coli uses Xenforo, i would just got someone to install that for you or follow a tuorial for that... what kinda forum are you making :lupe:
Something like this one.

Just curious, what's your forum about?

Find a host and talk to them about what you want to do.

The company I work for uses Liquid Web and they have been great with helping us admin our web servers.

But there is a lot of hosting companies out there so you may have to just research a bit...maybe even find out what other forums are doing for hosting.

From there, you'll have to find a forum software
/platform to use. Part of this decision will have to do with what backend language you plan on using (PHP, nodejs, etc.). Again, another thing you'll have to research and this will possibly involve a web developer to guide you along. Your hosting company may be able to help here as well.

This is your starting point and once you're set here, then you can start the web design process.

I know it sounds like a lot but really, most of it is just research.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else or if you have any more questions.
Thanks. I'll get started on research.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
With the issues this place been having, I've been giving more thought to starting a forum. I just have no idea how to do it.

May not really competing with thecoli...I was always wanted to start my own website and discussion forum really.

another problem I have is I'm really busy all these next couple of months so I don't know when I have the time to learn.

Already have a domain name but that's about it.
DM me I work with sites/forums/funnels