We are getting all the wrong technological improvements

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Battery powered motors exist and they are much quieter than gas powered and don't leave you smelling like fuel. You might need to have multiple charged batteries on hand, but it's worth it.

The ego mower is great.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
When are we going to create a lawn mower that doesn’t wake up the entire fukking goddamn fukking fukk neighborhood? Are you kidding me? We have cars now that are practically silent on the road. Why are we still putting up with this bullshyt?
Fun fact. An elctric car is just as loud as ford f150 when on the highway. Do you know why? Most of the noise of a car comes from the movement and friction of the tires on the ground . When a car goes by this is what you are typically hearing .

This is also the issue with lawn mowers. You will never have a silent mower or even a quiet one because you must deal with the friction of the fan blades moving around at 200 rpm. much like an electric car, electric mowers are quieter at a standstill, but are still loud when you use them on motion, in grass. The only way around this is to cut grass in a vaccuum much like those moon landers you were describing.

However, we did get a magical space age invention shortly after the space shuttle that may help you with your grass cutting needs. Have you ever heard of turf? :troll:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
A quiet lawnmower is a benefit for other people and people don't care about that :mjlol: :heh:

People ain't going to shell out for a more expensive lawnmower, that does a worse job but is "quieter".

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
im still angry they discontinued the concord. We Efectively doubled the time it took to get everywhere. You could fly from jfk to heathrow in just 3 hours in the 90s, but that same trip costs you 6 hours in 2023. Make it make sense? :beli:

Yeah I know, amazing engineering. I wish I would have been able to fly on one

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Battery powered motors exist and they are much quieter than gas powered and don't leave you smelling like fuel. You might need to have multiple charged batteries on hand, but it's worth it.

The ego mower is great.
If you're having to keep multiple charged batteries on hand, then how is it worth it? I say that as someone that has been using electric lawn equipment for years.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Yes.

In 2023 we have phones that can get us information on almost any topic in any subject in a couple of seconds.

Airplanes can go from New York to Los Angeles in 6 hours. That used to take 30 years.

Farming and shipping has gotten so good that we don’t even know what is “in season” anymore because everything is available all the time in supermarkets now.

It has even been 50 years since we landed a man on the moon.

But,

When are we going to create a lawn mower that doesn’t wake up the entire fukking goddamn fukking fukk neighborhood? Are you kidding me? We have cars now that are practically silent on the road. Why are we still putting up with this bullshyt?

:mad:
:stopitslime:

71H-ydE1D5L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

lawn-mower.png

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
im still angry they discontinued the concord. We Efectively doubled the time it took to get everywhere. You could fly from jfk to heathrow in just 3 hours in the 90s, but that same trip costs you 6 hours in 2023. Make it make sense? :beli:
Yeah I know, amazing engineering. I wish I would have been able to fly on one

Why they discontinue it?

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Why they discontinue it?
I can't speak for air France, but British airways did some calculus in the accounting room. They tried gambling against the faster than sound concept.

They took a gamble that they could charge folks more for a longhaul comfortable flight, than a short loud one. I won't lie to you, that you basically had a rocket engine behind you on the Concorde, and it was very very loud and and caused a lot of vibrations to passengers. It had similar afterburners to what you see on fighter jets. And yes, you totally felt it when you broke the sound barrier.

Furthermore, it was a very small plane, much smaller on the inside due to padding, fuel, and engine equipment. To give you an idea, keep in mind that the Concorde was 1.5 times longer than a 737 max but could hold half the people, while burning twice the gas.

So British airways decided to scrap the idea for higher profits. They then padded the 1st class on a bigger, slower plane with more rich people, rather than have a few businessmen on a fast jet. The rest is history :wow:

@MikelArteta had a good point about the sound from the ground. The sonic booms were nuisance. This was skated at the time by letting the jets fly at subsound speeds toward the deep ocean, and then turn on the afterburners a few miles out to sea. This was another accounting room nightmare cause planes are most efficient when they immediately reach cruising altitudes at the start of the flight.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fun fact. An elctric car is just as loud as ford f150 when on the highway. Do you know why? Most of the noise of a car comes from the movement and friction of the tires on the ground . When a car goes by this is what you are typically hearing .

This is also the issue with lawn mowers. You will never have a silent mower or even a quiet one because you must deal with the friction of the fan blades moving around at 200 rpm. much like an electric car, electric mowers are quieter at a standstill, but are still loud when you use them on motion, in grass. The only way around this is to cut grass in a vaccuum much like those moon landers you were describing.

However, we did get a magical space age invention shortly after the space shuttle that may help you with your grass cutting needs. Have you ever heard of turf? :troll:
No such thing as never homie. It doesn’t have to null the noise completely. It can transmute it into a more tolerable sound.