Waymo has 7.1 million driverless miles — how does its driving compare to humans?

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I'm torn on this issue.

I do NOT wanna see some driverless car in my roadway.

But I always suspected they would statistically be safer than human drivers. Humans are notoriously reckless.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Where in my original post did I mention Waymo? I was talking about money being wasted in putting money in autonomous vehicles as a whole. Either you purposely misread it looking for daps or you are a real dumbass

But for shyts and giggles I googles Waymo and it's funding sources

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/02/waymo-raises-2point25-billion-in-first-external-funding-round.html

"Alphabet’s self-driving company unit Waymo raised $2.25 billion in its first external funding round. Several Silicon Valley heavy-hitters participated, the company announced Monday.

The external funding is a sign that some of Alphabet’s “Other Bets” companies like Waymo need much more capital than Alphabet is willing to provide on its own Most “Other Bets” companies are funded through revenues generated by Alphabet’s cash cow Google, which makes most of the company’s profits thanks to its dominant digital ads business.

Investors in the latest round include Alphabet itself, along with outside firms including Silver Lake, Andreessen Horowitz and AutoNation
, which disclosed Monday that it invested $50 million in Waymo. A little over a year ago, Alphabet’s life sciences company Verily received $1 billion in a funding round led by Silver Lake.
"

Now who's the dumbass?? :dead: :dead: :laff: :laff: :laff: :russ:
:dahell:
You didn't add anything to the conversation with this post just support my evidence against you. You really are slow.
:dead:

You came in here ranting about "they" wasting time on non essential research instead of prioritizing" then when I told you they was a business (with investment) your respond with a generic post about government funding most research then in this quoted post absolutely demolish all your previous posts by acknowledging this particular research is done by the company named in the title Waymo that you were absolutely not talking about in a thread about it as you claim.... Sigh

Brother did you get a lobotomy?

Last edited:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
You didn't add anything to the conversation with this post just support my evidence against you. You really are slow.
:dead:

You came in here ranting about "they" wasting time on non essential research instead of prioritizing" then when I told you they was a business (with investment) your respond with a generic post about government funding most research then in this quoted post absolutely demolish all your previous posts by acknowledging this particular research is done by the company named in the title Waymo that you were absolutely not talking about in a thread about it as you claim.... Sigh

Brother did you get a lobotomy?

How many times are you gonna edit your post?

Waymo already LOST money and now asked for more from external sources. Which makes my point even stronger

The juelzing has begun on a failed attempted dapfish:deadrose:

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
tenor.gif

Suge Shot Me

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Once they get the tech refined and are able to get approval in most places, I wonder if they will scale up by having people buy the cars and partner with them. I don't think they are interested in owning and maintaining a massive nationwide (or worldwide?) fleet.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
How many times are you gonna edit your post?

Waymo already LOST money and now asked for more from external sources. Which makes my point even stronger

The juelzing has begun on a failed attempted dapfish:deadrose:
I edited to help your comprehension and you still failed at understanding. You didn't end up proving that the government was wasting time on pointless research you proved that it was investors and business as I told you on my first response. :mjgrin:

Now you juelzing profusely but anyone with half a brain can see thru you. You one of the most embarassing Africans on this forum. A perpetual idiot.

Last edited:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Once they get the tech refined and are able to get approval in most places, I wonder if they will scale up by having people buy the cars and partner with them. I don't think they are interested in owning and maintaining a massive nationwide (or worldwide?) fleet.
They will lease the tech and some of the invested partners will get ownership. It's a race for one company to develop what will become the default tool for driverless navigation.

Uber was doing the same thing and it was their initial pitch for investment. A vision of driverless vehicles that eliminate the costs of drivers. Which is something one dumb poster in here can't comprehend.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Waymo says it has doubled its weekly paid robotaxi trips to 100,000 since May​

Published Tue, Aug 20 20241:06 PM EDTUpdated Tue, Aug 20 20242:06 PM EDT

Lora Kolodny@in/lorakolodny/

Key Points

• Alphabet-owned Waymo said it provides more than 100,000 paid robotaxi rides per week to users in the U.S., double the number it announced in May.
  • Alphabet announced in July that it would invest another $5 billion into the driverless vehicle venture.
  • Waymo aims to expand its service beyond the Sun Belt states where it now operates, with its “generation 6” system integrated into Geely Zeekr electric vehicles.

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - MARCH 14: A Waymo autonomous self-driving Jaguar taxi drives along a street on March 14, 2024 in Los Angeles, California. Beginning today, Waymo One is offering robotaxi services in a 63-square mile area of greater Los Angeles including Santa Monica, Venice and downtown with over 50,000 people on the wait list. Waymo is owned by Alphabet, Google’s parent company.  (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

A Waymo autonomous self-driving Jaguar taxi drives along a street on March 14, 2024 in Los Angeles, California.
Mario Tama | Getty Images

Waymo is now providing more than 100,000 paid robotaxi rides per week in the U.S., according to a LinkedIn announcement by co-CEO Tekedra Mawakana. That’s double the 50,000 weekly paid trips the company reported in May.

A spokesperson for the Alphabet-owned driverless vehicle venture told CNBC on Tuesday that San Francisco now “serves the most trips” among the cities where Waymo operates its commercial service: San Francisco, Phoenix, Austin and Los Angeles.

Last month, Alphabet announced that it was investing an additional $5 billion into Waymo, which started as a self-driving project at the company in 2009.

On Monday, Waymo revealed details about its new, “generation 6” self-driving system, which should enable the company to offer driverless services in a wider array of weather conditions and without requiring as many costly cameras and sensors in its vehicles.

Waymo, which boasts around 700 vehicles in its fleet today, operates the only commercial robotaxi service in the U.S., Waymo One.

Waymo previously partnered with the ride-hailing giant Uber in Phoenix to bring its service to the app’s existing users there. In a statement Tuesday, Waymo said that in June it added 90 square miles to its service in Phoenix, making it the largest autonomous ride-hailing “territory” in the states.

This month, Waymo also expanded its San Francisco robotaxi service into three new California areas — Daly City, Broadmoor and Colma — and is now testing its driverless vehicles on freeways around the San Francisco metro area.

While CNBC could not independently confirm the company’s safety claims, Waymo also said that “over 14.8 million rider-only miles driven, the Waymo Driver was 3.5x better in avoiding crashes that caused injuries and 3x better in avoiding police-reported crashes than human drivers.”

Although commercial robotaxi services from Didi and Pony.ai are up and running in China, Waymo currently faces limited domestic competition. GM-owned Cruise experienced setbacks that took its driverless vehicles off the road temporarily, and companies including Uber and Ford have shuttered their efforts to develop robotaxis.

Elon Musk’s electric vehicle maker, Tesla, has been promising it would turn customers’ existing vehicles into driverless cars with a software update for years. However, the company has not yet produced a car capable of serving as a robotaxi. Tesla plans to unveil its CyberCab, or dedicated robotaxi, at a hotly anticipated event Oct. 10.

Last edited:

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
:scust:

who's they and whose money are they wasting...

these companies are funding this through investment and every tech you use had a research phase. ungrateful ass human. you take your efforts and go do the things YOU feel are more important this isn't being funded by the public.
@Artificial Intelligence
:myman:

Belize King

Daps
I'm torn on this issue.

I do NOT wanna see some driverless car in my roadway.

But I always suspected they would statistically be safer than human drivers. Humans are notoriously reckless.
I see fukkery on Atlanta streets and highways EVERYDAY at least 3-5 times a trip.
:damn:
Coming from Tampa and before that South Texas, I would see straight up reckless drivers once every 5 trip.
:salute:
shyt is wild.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I see these cars malfunction and block intersections in SF almost once a month at the minimum :russ:

Literally gets stuck, cant figure it out, and blocks traffics for a hour :russ:

Belize King

Daps
I thought about this. My guess is Google would maintain the system through updates and charge us a subscription fee.
:francis:
You will pay for the right to be able to not have to drive yourself anyway.
:gucci:
Govt will make it mandatory in every vehicle.
:why:
After you finish paying off your vehicle, you will be paying for a feature as long as you drive.
:mjlol:
Uber, Lyft, and other will continue in the taxi business but no longer have to pay drivers, just maintenance of their fleet. They may overtake the rental car companies or rental car will become obsolete.
:russ:
My coworker was just telling me, people will rent their vehicles out when they are at work or home. Once they get to work, an app will know and people will be able to order your car.
:pachaha:
The near future will be spooky.
:patrice:
Truckers beware. Those highway long hauls will be taken away. You might to be the last leg like the contracted out Amazon drivers.
:francis:
Hopefully all the Coli family will be :flabbynsick: by then.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest