Watching TENET for the first time. This movie was slept on.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
It’s a vibe movie as I heard a YouTuber say.

The actual dynamics of the story leaves a lot on the table.

We are just watching the protagonist do his job but he has no investment in its outcome. Contrast that with Kill Bill and the bride is chopping people up as revenge cause that’s all she has.

The twist that his friend cares about him that much to go to his death willingly falls flat cause we no nothing about them as friends.

Kat has the strongest emotional arc and her husband’s nihilism at his own death is cool but the movie says she’s not the protagonist. It’s like the Bond girl is the hero in the Bond movie.

Plus the whole moving forward and backwards physics is sus.

It’s a weird movie.
Yeah, people will accept a confusing story if we empathize the protagonist. We had no reason to root for the protagonist.

Also, I think the movie was wildly miscast...and I like JDW, but everyone didn't fit in their role from the Protagonist, to the girl, Sator...hate to say it, but I felt like Robert Pattinson felt like he should've been the protagonist.

It had the elements to be a great movie. Cinematography and practical effects. The feeling and stakes were there. Action was probably the best in any Nolan movie, which is saying a lot.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
the idea of this movie being slept on is pure cap.

this was like the ONLY movie dropping at the height of covid and somehow managed to still make $360M with theatres being mostly closed. I don't think anyone slept on it to be honest.

Nah, it did decently vs. a covid outbreak for sure but it came and went because covid continued to rage on and people forgot it existed.

Look at the people in here saying they never got around to seeing it.

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
We have to be honest though,Denzels son isnt a star. This movie needed an actor of the real Denzels caliber.

They needed a more charismatic actor. If this was Jonathan Majors or Damson Idris, it would have been so much better. shyt, Will Smith would have killed this role.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They needed a more charismatic actor. If this was Jonathan Majors or Damson Idris, it would have been so much better. shyt, Will Smith would have killed this role.

They wouldve killed it:whew:

Yeah, people will accept a confusing story if we empathize the protagonist. We had no reason to root for the protagonist.

Also, I think the movie was wildly miscast...and I like JDW, but everyone didn't fit in their role from the Protagonist, to the girl, Sator...hate to say it, but I felt like Robert Pattinson felt like he should've been the protagonist.

It had the elements to be a great movie. Cinematography and practical effects. The feeling and stakes were there. Action was probably the best in any Nolan movie, which is saying a lot.

And maybe this is correct too. Maybe he was given a harder task because they didnt really give him that "reason". But James Bond doesnt always have relateable reasons,hes just an agent. But thats when you really need a charismatic and naturally likeable/charming actor in the role. But I saw JDV in that Spike Lee movie and didnt feel him in that either. Technically hes a really good actor,just not lead calibre for certain movies.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
They wouldve killed it:whew:

And maybe this is correct too. Maybe he was given a harder task because they didnt really give him that "reason". But James Bond doesnt always have relateable reasons,hes just an agent. But thats when you really need a charismatic and naturally likeable/charming actor in the role. But I saw JDV in that Spike Lee movie and didnt feel him in that either. Technically hes a really good actor,just not lead calibre for certain movies.
I like JDW, but he just doesn't have that it factor. I mean the script here didn't help, but at least with someone like a James Bond, we know his character traits; he's an orphan, player, drinking, gambling, killer who has a touch of sophistication but will kill you just the same. They didn't give JDW any motivation or backstory.