Was WWII more significant for FBA than the Civil War?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You mean Nazis?

Ultimately, the union didn’t “win” the war. Lincoln freed the slaves because he knew the confederates would have nothing left to fight for. This is why the confederate flag supporters talking about “state’s rights” know they are lying.
The Union certainly won the war. The Confederates surrendered and didn't have the bodies to continue fighting a superior force.

What happened next largely hinges on Lincoln's assassination. If he had lived, Reconstruction would have either gone as planned or sparked another war that the north would win again. Lincoln's successor was a southerner who fukked up Reconstruction. Ulysses Grant, one of the most pro-black presidents ever, defeated him in four years and got Reconstruction back on track. But after his presidency the Compromise of 1877 basically doomed black people by removing federal troops from the south.

In short, Lincoln's assassination and the Compromise of 1877 are probably the most consequential historical events for black Americans after the Civil War.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
The Union certainly won the war. The Confederates surrendered and didn't have the bodies to continue fighting a superior force.

What happened next largely hinges on Lincoln's assassination. If he had lived, Reconstruction would have either gone as planned or sparked another war that the north would win again. Lincoln's successor was a southerner who fukked up Reconstruction. Ulysses Grant, one of the most pro-black presidents ever, defeated him in four years and got Reconstruction back on track. But after his presidency the Compromise of 1877 basically doomed black people by removing federal troops from the south.

In short, Lincoln's assassination and the Compromise of 1877 are probably the most consequential historical events for black Americans after the Civil War.
His successor was a confederate

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I thought the south(confederates) chose him to be vice president to Lincoln

Nah Lincoln chose him to form a unity ticket, to show he didn't hate the south despite the tension/war. Previously he had made Johnson the military governor of Tennessee during the war; basically appointed to keep Tennessee in line and retake rebel parts of the state. Johnson was supposed to be assassinated the same night Lincoln was, but the shooter got too drunk and failed the mission.

There are conspiracy theories that the assassination plot against Johnson was fake, and that the plot was to remove Lincoln and elevate a southerner. But I haven't really seen enough evidence to make me believe that. Southerners didn't fukk with Johnson when he was military governor, I doubt they would have liked him enough to plot to make him president.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Nah Lincoln chose him to form a unity ticket, to show he didn't hate the south despite the tension/war. Previously he had made Johnson the military governor of Tennessee during the war; basically appointed to keep Tennessee in line and retake rebel parts of the state. Johnson was supposed to be assassinated the same night Lincoln was, but the shooter got too drunk and failed the mission.

There are conspiracy theories that the assassination plot against Johnson was fake, and that the plot was to remove Lincoln and elevate a southerner. But I haven't really seen enough evidence to make me believe that. Southerners didn't fukk with Johnson when he was military governor, I doubt they would have liked him enough to plot to make him president.
Still though in my opinion I wouldn’t call it a Union victory

Well it was a victory for the union but a lose for black folks still

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
thats just propaganda from you know who

Hitler and the Nazis generally had the same views on black people as the average white person of the time - not more extreme

he really hated communists. jews and slavics who ethnically cleansed eastern Europe of german elites during ww1/russian civil war

the civil war was much more important to black people

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
WW2 I believe set the stage for the civil rights movement socially to some extent. Think of all the institutions, ideas, and beliefs that took place afterwards related to human rights. If the western world decided it wanted to be the beacon of freedom after WW2 in contrast to the fascists and later the communists, it makes it harder to do so while having an apartheid state in place for black Americans. It made arguments against it easier to permeate the social consciousness if that is the framework of the collective consciousness of western countries operated under. It was a hypocrisy too big to ignore and not address.

But, the civil war was more impactful.