Was CRAZY TAXI the last great new arcade game?

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
Like, a new type game that was CLEARLY designed for the arcade environment, other than fighting games, that everyone can pick up, learn in 1 try and enjoy repeatedly?

I can't think of another arcade smash hit like that since. Correct me if erroneous. And show love to CRAAAAAAAAAAAZY TAXI!

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
More proof that SEGA never gets the props that they deserve. Not following their example made gaming into a chore.
the original thread was going to be "Did Sega's demise lead developers to fear taking risks?" but I just felt like throwing some love to Crazy taxi..i knew the conversation would get there anyway lol

you're dead right. The fact that the VMU and playcalling off screen has not been adopted yet is criminal and that was 13 years ago...and thats not even a BIG DEAL

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
the original thread was going to be "Did Sega's demise lead developers to fear taking risks?" but I just felt like throwing some love to Crazy taxi..i knew the conversation would get there anyway lol

you're dead right. The fact that the VMU and playcalling off screen has not been adopted yet is criminal and that was 13 years ago...and thats not even a BIG DEAL

SEGA and Nintendo are the main innovators of this gaming shyt. People don't want either of them to exist nowadays because their original ideas are too much for their stagnant tastes. Crazy Taxi could never be made by ano other developer because they be too busy trying to be super-realistic physics that kill the joy.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
SEGA and Nintendo are the main innovators of this gaming shyt. People don't want either of them to exist nowadays because their original ideas are too much for their stagnant tastes. Crazy Taxi could never be made by ano other developer because they be too busy trying to be super-realistic physics that kill the joy.
Playstation 1 era sony was QUITE innovative. The catalog of games on the platform and the way they embraced 3rd party developers was unlike anything the other two had ever done. I can't imagine the wide variety on sega or nintendo that was on PSX.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Playstation 1 era sony was QUITE innovative. The catalog of games on the platform and the way they embraced 3rd party developers was unlike anything the other two had ever done. I can't imagine the wide variety on sega or nintendo that was on PSX.

After PS2, Sony had to compete with the American-centric gaming biz and threw away all the major titles that didn't have guns or realistic physics in it. Only good games were downloads that few people actually played.

SEGA, in Japan, still do their best to make great gaming experiences in the Arcades. They, and Nintendo, are the lifeblood of the industry. In America, everything has to be super realistic or have a gun in it :smh:

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
After PS2, Sony had to compete with the American-centric gaming biz and threw away all the major titles that didn't have guns or realistic physics in it. Only good games were downloads that few people actually played.

SEGA, in Japan, still do their best to make great gaming experiences in the Arcades. They, and Nintendo, are the lifeblood of the industry. In America, everything has to be super realistic or have a gun in it :smh:
I think you're making the issue too simple.

Nintendo is just as guilty of pumping out the same ol' stuff as Electronic Arts and Activision IMO. EA just does it at a faster rate. They have been pumping out the same IPs for 20 years. Same games just 1 or 2 additional features and better graphics. Argue if you can but its a fact. Super Mario 3D World is outstanding..but its just Mario Galaxy spliced with Mario 2 and some new suits.

lets not villify American developers when we all know the next nintendos release schedule 5 years before the console is even announced.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I feel we're seeing a lot more of that in the Indie/Kickstarter/etc. scene nowadays. People creating games that are fun to play without all this modern "cinematic rollercoaster" shyt. I mean, that's fine for some games, but sometimes you just want to pick up a game and play without all the other shyt.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Sega stayed dropping arcade piff....but truthfully outside of fighters, the OG virtual on cabinet was pure piff.

vo_cab_3.jpg