Waist Beads

Lady.Libra.

~balance~
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
VII
are they supposed to be worn directly on skin? or over clothes, in the pics i looks like theyre supposed to be on your skin, id wear them in a manner similar to a belt
I've seen just a few pics of them worn over clothes but the majority of pics show them worn directly on the skin. I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to wear them on my waist or hips...leaning more towards wearing them on my waist.

Lady.Libra.

~balance~
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
VII
Had a girlfriend from Senegal who wore these, it was my first time seeing it. Is this a West African trend?

What did you think of them when you first saw them on her?

Not certain, I just know it originates from Africa but here's an interesting blurb I found doing research:

What Is the Meaning of African Waist Beads
There is no question that you can find a lot of stories about the traditions and customs associated with African waist beads. These traditions span the centuries. Of course beads themselves have had a huge part in the history of Africa for hundreds of years. They may have first existed in materials like bone, teeth and stone, which may seem primitive to use. They expanded to include glass, ceramic, and even gemstones.

They were also used to trade and even to pay for slaves, gold, property and other valuable items throughout North and Western African for many years. The African variety appear to have their origin with the Yoruba tribe in Africa. This tribe has migrated to Nigeria. Ghana, however is pretty much attributed to be the bead production capital of the world. Yoruba women consider theirs to be "of the earth", even the source of life. Some believe that they will help protect pregnant women or even provide birth control as did their ancestors many years ago.

There are names associated with different types of beaded chains for the waist. Some of the names are: Giri-Giri, Yomba, Jigida, Jel-Jelli, Bin Bin, Ileke idi and Djalay Djalay.

African women still wear them today to protect themselves from negative energy. They are steeped in the old traditions that attribute the beads to having healing properties. The colors of the rainbows are considered to have balancing properties when used in the crafting. Special powers have even been attributed to those who wear them by the Orb of Djenra. If you know what you are doing, adding certain semi-precious stones can help you heal particular ailments.

Waist beads are created to be worn below the belly. You can find them made with just about any kind of shell, gemstone, glass, plastic, pearl or even clay or wood. Women of all shapes and sizes wear them.

Some women even use them as an instrument in losing weight. When the strands start getting tight it's time to do something about your weight. This practical idea has also filtered down from the early African tribal women - and it is one that still works today.

While you will find many tales that are steeped in tradition, certainly modern culture has adopted the wearing of them. Some prefer to wear them under their clothing only to be see by themselves or their spouses. Others flaunt them on bare bellies or even over their clothing.
What Is the Meaning of African Waist Beads

MoonGoddess

Packing All The Flavour You Need
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fantasy.
That page :whew:.
her body is goals for real :wow:

Anyways I wanted to make some this weekend but my car is out of order. hopefully be fixed by next weekend and I can go to Michaels or Joanne's and buy some supply's. I'm gonna order off of amazon too I'm sure I can get more bang for my buck. I can't wait.

Last edited: