Virginia State Legislature holds tribute to Robert E. Lee. Black Lt. Governor says GTFOH

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Virginia’s lone black statewide official sits out Robert E. Lee tribute
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...721ba4-1b4c-11e9-88fe-f9f77a3bcb6c_story.html

8b3ed5bb765c7455be217de41ca0de9b789aa302.jpg

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D), who is a descendant of slaves, sits aside Friday in the Virginia Senate as a member pays tribute to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. (Laura Vozzella/The Washington Post)

RICHMOND — Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax, only the second African American elected to statewide office in Virginia, briefly bowed out of his duties in the state Senate on Friday in protest of a tribute to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Fairfax (D), who normally presides over Richmond’s upper chamber, stepped off the dais and let a Republican wield the gavel while Sen. Richard H. Stuart (R-King George) marked Lee’s 212th birthday with praise for “a great Virginian and a great American.”

“I believe there are certain people in history we should honor that way in the Senate . . . and I don’t believe that he is one of them,” Fairfax, a descendant of slaves, said in an interview afterward . “I think it’s very divisive to do what was done there, particularly in light of the history that we’re now commemorating — 400 years since the first enslaved Africans came to the commonwealth of Virginia.

“And to do that in this year in particular was very hurtful to a lot of people,” Fairfax said. “It does not move us forward, it does not bring us together. And so I wanted to do my part to make it clear that I don’t condone it.”

[Virginia’s only black statewide officeholder bows out of Jackson tribute]

Heaping praise on Lee is nothing unusual in the former capital of the Confederacy. For most of the United States, Friday was the last workday before the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday weekend. In Virginia, it was a state holiday: Lee-Jackson Day.

The General Assembly works through both the Lee-Jackson and MLK holidays, and elected officials from both parties have traditionally used the occasions to tip their hats to the Confederates and King alike. Comedian Stephen Colbert lampooned the Virginia Senate in 2013 for adjourning its MLK Day session in honor of Confederate Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson — on a motion from a Democrat, state Sen. R. Creigh Deeds of Bath.

Such tributes have become more politically fraught in recent years amid the push to remove monuments and rename schools and roads honoring Confederate leaders.

[In the former capital of the Confederacy, debate over statues both painful and personal]

Fairfax, who was sworn into office a year ago and is expected to run for governor in 2021, bowed out last year when a Republican called on the Senate to adjourn for the day in honor of Jackson.

On both occasions, Fairfax’s protest was made without any remark from the dais. He called for a pause in the floor session and stepped down, taking a seat on a bench normally occupied by Senate pages. State Sen. Stephen D. Newman (R-Bedford), the Senate pro tempore, stepped up in his place.

In his speech Friday, Stuart tried to separate Lee from the issue of slavery, noting the general’s efforts to bring about reconciliation after the war.

“I rise to celebrate his birthday because he was a great Virginian and a great American, and not because it has anything to do with slavery,” Stuart said. “I celebrate Lee on his birthday because he was a man with the strength of his convictions and that is a rare trait, either in yesteryear or today.

“He was a man that personified integrity, honor and commitment to duty, a selfless man that devoted his entire life to the service of his country, either in battle or in teaching people to be good citizens, and a man who always did what he thought was right,” Stuart said. “There were few people after the Civil War who did what Lee did to heal the wounds of this country and to try to reunite this country after that horrible war.”

:salute:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...721ba4-1b4c-11e9-88fe-f9f77a3bcb6c_story.html

Stonewall Jackson was my great-great-great grandfather. Virginia should stop ‘honoring’ him.
Joe ShaffnerFebruary 2, 2018
B5AFOTMBMY3ONJ26OSOFWPPDZ4.jpg

A shrouded statue of Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson in Charlottesville. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

I was disheartened to read that Virginia’s state Senate continues officially to honorConfederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson. Members of the Senate — in this case, Sens. Emmett W. Hanger Jr. (R-Augusta) and Stephen D. Newman (R-Bedford) — have traditionally called on the governing body to pay tribute by adjourning for the day. A number of news outlets, including The Post, covered a story that went all but unnoticed by members of the Senate, and got buried in the rapid news cycle: Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax’s (D) quiet protest.

Senator Hanger and I have a lot in common. Our ancestors fought together in the Civil War. Like Hanger, I come from a family line that has upheld traditional family values, revered military tacticians and downplayed both the role of slavery in America’s history and the treatment of slaves at the hands of our ancestors, who had “conflicting views on slavery.” And, like Hanger, I grew up just about as Southern as you can get.

But unlike Senator Hanger, I would ask the state Senate to stop honoring my great-great-great grandfather “Stonewall” Jackson this way — not only out of respect for Fairfax, but also out of respect for the state and country. Whether we like it or not, the Confederate flag, statues, and symbols of a past long gone — but nowhere near forgotten — have become associated with hate, racism and violence.

Continuing these traditions is not honorable, especially given the long and torturous history of what it means to be black in America. The slave trade was only the beginning, a long and brutal beginning “justified” by the boost in the American economy. Jim Crow laws, lynchings, the backlash against the Civil Rights movement, voter suppression, the mass incarceration in which black Americans have borne the brunt and gerrymandered districts that cut through the heart of black communities tell only part of the story.

Senator Hanger, while you speak of “155 years” of paying tribute to our family members, how about paying tribute to the more than 300,000 African slaves stolen from their homes over the course of nearly 250 years, forced to work without pay, beaten, raped and killed? Or paying tribute to some of their descendants who were victims of lynch mobs or beaten during non-violent civil rights protests during the 1950s and 1960s?

Did our great-great and great-great-great grandfathers do all of this themselves? Of course not. But they certainly played a role in fighting to preserve a way of life in which the lives of others were considered less than their own.

Taking the moral high ground here, Senators Hanger and Newman, is not forgetting our history but making a point to learn how that history has affected others — and continues to today. Yes, white supremacists such as those at Charlottesville “have given disgusting voice and vile action to the racism and bigotry that seemingly respectable people have managed to hide in their hearts.”

I’m with you, Senator Hanger; white supremacists make me feel uncomfortable. But when you talk about “respectable people,” what they are hiding in their hearts and the discomfort we feel — therein lies the problem. It’s time to face that discomfort and to think about how symbols, histories and tributes can have vastly different meanings depending on the color of your skin. It’s time for more honest, open dialogue about race relations in this country. It’s time for us to stop dividing on the grounds of paying tribute and to start healing. And it’s high time that we confine our history to history books, museums and discussions about how we can move our country forward — beyond the uncomfortable past.

That is the moral path to take. And I am all too aware of the fact that I am likely to face repercussions within my own family for writing this. But I stand by my belief that this is the right strategy to bring us all to the table and to use the lessons we’ve learned from our past to inform where we must go from here.

We should not be spending our time paying tribute to people such as my great-great-great grandfather on the floor of the Senate, which should represent and amplify the voices of all constituents. We should instead be taking a seat right beside Lt. Gov. Fairfax, join in the silent protest and then get to work to help us heal our country’s battle wounds, bridge our divisions and create the changes in Virginia and across the country we so desperately need. That’s a strategy I could really get behind.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Even in positions of power, we have no power. :wow:

We need some media attack dogs to make this go viral.
The shame of celebrating a slave owner with a descendant of a slave sitting in the state senate.
Just spit in the mans face.
Trampled on his ancestors grave.

Let this have been a Jew though and they would have shut the whole thing down.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
"Hey guys, i know he was fighting to continue the most evil institution in american history, but besides that, he had integrity and blah blah blah blah blah." the hypocrisy and mental gymnastics of these white b*stardS on full display here. they truly are the worst evil ever witnessed on this planet.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
I’ll never understand how treasonous generals get celebrated 200 years later in this country by supposed patriots. The US Government should’ve hung each and every one of those losers
white people have the ability to ignore any atrocity committed by another white so long as that atrocity is done against a black person. that's why they honor people like columbus and jefferson and others who were scumbags. you're dealing with an evil people who never wanted slavery to end or were fine with it existing.