“Villanova Dogs and a Domesticated WildKAT... Make It Make Sense..." Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

KnickstapeCity

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
New York
:mjlol: Brehs, who exactly is this Worldwide Wes nikka? I just saw a picture of breh talmbout he cried when he called Quickley to let him know he got traded.

:mjlol: This nikka is overweight, bald and clean shaved. Why nikkas be hyping him up and nikkas like Jay Z and Drake shouting him out on songs?

:mjlol: Talk to me, brehs. Who is this nikka and what does he do exactly?

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
:mjlol: Brehs, who exactly is this Worldwide Wes nikka? I just saw a picture of breh talmbout he cried when he called Quickley to let him know he got traded.

:mjlol: This nikka is overweight, bald and clean shaved. Why nikkas be hyping him up and nikkas like Jay Z and Drake shouting him out on songs?

To understand World Wide Wes, watch the HBO documentary “The Scheme”. The protagonist of that documentary is a lesser version of Wes, but if I could put it into a few words he is a customer service rep of a sports agency, while the agent is the lawyer on record. The agent deals with the paper work and the other lawyers, while the rep recruits the client and then helps the client with all the incidental/off the books services that a agency like CAA handles.

WWW job is to be well liked by the client and recruit them to the agency, while Leon’s job was mostly to make negotiate the deals with the team reps. There is a race aspect to all of what they do and even a step further the idea that “lawyer really only respect other lawyers”. Like Leon wouldn’t cry over Quickley even if he wanted to because of his image but WWW does that and who knows maybe a couple of seasons from now IQ comes back to NY on Free agency…..

Anyhow, honestly watch “The Scheme” though it’s an amazing documentary that shows you who WWW is because that is what he does.

KnickstapeCity

Daps
Reppin
New York
To understand World Wide Wes, watch the HBO documentary “The Scheme”. The protagonist of that documentary is a lesser version of Wes, but if I could put it into a few words he is a customer service rep of a sports agency, while the agent is the lawyer on record. The agent deals with the paper work and the other lawyers, while the rep recruits the client and then helps the client with all the incidental/off the books services that a agency like CAA handles.

WWW job is to be well liked by the client and recruit them to the agency, while Leon’s job was mostly to make negotiate the deals with the team reps. There is a race aspect to all of what they do and even a step further the idea that “lawyer really only respect other lawyers”. Like Leon wouldn’t cry over Quickley even if he wanted to because of his image but WWW does that and who knows maybe a couple of seasons from now IQ comes back to NY on Free agency…..

Anyhow, honestly watch “The Scheme” though it’s an amazing documentary that shows you who WWW is because that is what he does.
:leon: I’ll check that out. But more specifically, what does he do for the Knicks?

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas

Chill dawg. :mjcry: Too soon

draymond-green-rudy-gobert.gif

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:leon: I’ll check that out. But more specifically, what does he do for the Knicks?
WWW goes way back as a power player behind the scenes in the NBA without direct affiliation with any team. He's the GOAT networker, and spun that into a key role getting CAA a bunch of clients. Look at this shyt from 2010. The introduction is ridiculous.

Over five decades ago, American sociologist C. Wright Mills famously wrote The Power Elite, which asserted that a minute sliver of the population—the elite—held a tremendously disproportionate influence over the decision-making in the military, corporate, and political realms.

Now, you may or may not entirely agree with the validity of Mills’ thesis. But if we apply Mills’ notion to the world of sports, the type of person he had in mind was William Wesley.

Or maybe you know Wesley simply as World Wide Wes.

Likely you don’t know him at all.

But despite his relatively low profile, you can safely bet that all 30 NBA owners are keenly acquainted with Mr. Wesley, and they are keeping a close eye on his movements.

Even if nobody is quite sure what he does or why he is so damn powerful.

Here’s what I gather—through the smoke and mirrors—derived in part from an uncommonly insightful and foreshadowing GQ profile on Wes, as he is affectionately referred to, from three summers ago.

Wesley is like a modern-day sports’ Forrest Gump, magically popping up at championship celebrations from Cowboy Super Bowls to Miami Football National Championships, to Team USA practices in 2004, to the floor during the infamous Malice at the Palace.

It's a long article, so I'm just snipping a few highlights but it's worth reading all of it.

Perhaps Wes’s biggest connection, however, was made around the turn of the century when one LeBron James was bursting onto the national prep scene as the prodigy to top all prodigies.

GQ writes that Wes buttered up Eddie Jackson, a former boyfriend (and ex-convict) of LeBron’s mother, Gloria, gaining access to the King's invaluable inner-circle.

In fact, Wes introduced James to Jay-Z.

According to the GQ piece, Wes moved into an apartment across from James during Lebron's rookie year in 2003. He steered LBJ to agent Leon Rose—yep, the Leon Rose from Cherry Hill, N.J.—when James separated from his original professional agent, Aaron Goodwin.

There are indications that Wes was instrumental in Calipari, and Memphis, signing both Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans.
It wouldn’t be overly surprising to hear Wes had a similar role in recruiting John Wall and Brandon Knight to Kentucky.

But no direct links or wrongdoing has ever been proven. And as far as I can see, no explicit accusations are thrown around.

I've seen heads say his influence is overrated, but only after he went to the Knicks. WWW was half-urban legend when I younger. This article even mentions another key player in the CAA to New York Knicks story a decade before it happened...His Rolodex seems to be chocked full of a veritable who’s who in basketball—the players, coaches, executives and corporate big-wigs.
What's clear is that Rose, Wesley’s Cherry Hill friend, has represented Wes as an attorney for over two decades, and that Rose’s client list went from low-profile to "my goodness" status pretty quickly early in this decade.

Currently, Rose’s stable of clients includes Carmelo Anthony, Andrea Bargnani, Jonny Flynn, Rip Hamilton, Allen Iverson, and, of course, LeBron James.
The most recent news regarding these various linkages involves newly-tabbed Bulls’ head coach (and current Celtics’ assistant) Tom Thibodeau. Thibodeau is a freshly signed CAA client, a highly influential Hollywood talent agency—a firm that features Leon Rose among its agents.

The speculation is that Thibodeau’s CAA signing was a gesture to Wesley, and, as a direct result, to LeBron James.
But you see all these Lebron references? That's because Wes was supposed to bring Lebron to New York according to the urban legends. So after "The Decision," i remember a lot of heads saying Wes was more hype than reality. But it is kinda crazy in retrospect.

KnickstapeCity

Daps
Reppin
New York
WWW goes way back as a power player behind the scenes in the NBA without direct affiliation with any team. He's the GOAT networker, and spun that into a key role getting CAA a bunch of clients. Look at this shyt from 2010. The introduction is ridiculous.

It's a long article, so I'm just snipping a few highlights but it's worth reading all of it.

I've seen heads say his influence is overrated, but only after he went to the Knicks. WWW was half-urban legend when I younger. This article even mentions another key player in the CAA to New York Knicks story a decade before it happened...His Rolodex seems to be chocked full of a veritable who’s who in basketball—the players, coaches, executives and corporate big-wigs.

But you see all these Lebron references? That's because Wes was supposed to bring Lebron to New York according to the urban legends. So after "The Decision," i remember a lot of heads saying Wes was more hype than reality. But it is kinda crazy in retrospect.

:mjlol: Yeah, very impressive but fukk wanting LeBron back then or now. Sure the 2010-2014 Heatles could’ve been the Knicks but who knows how that would’ve turned out. Nikkas could’ve been the Harden, KD, Kyrie Nets.

:salute: You and the breh @Wargames broke it down for a nikka.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City

A lot of this was delivering stacks of money in black plastic bags to player’s parents, but the game was the game and people trust WWW.