Video Game Addiction Being Classified as Mental Illness?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
It's all bullshyt.

On average American adults spend a 3rd of their waking hours in front of an hdtv and no interaction with it.
the interaction is the difference though, and what makes video games more 'addictive' than just watching TV

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Of course video games can be an addiction. Just look into how the brain works, any behavior can become compulsory and morph into an addiction.

Besides drugs, video game, internet (youtube etc) are really potent generators of dopamine because they designed to do just that, provide pleasure in high quantities and intensity. Plus they are introduced pretty early in our childhood in the years when our brains are the most vulnerable and susceptible to create detrimental neural connections.

Good thing they finally realize it. But the U.N. Health Agency and the world in general aren't ready for what's to come. When the babies we're raising right now grow up and phone/tablet/screen addiction hit full force, we're gonna see interesting stuff and takes on technology and how it affects behaviors. Parents' laziness will be fully exposed and a lot of people are going to regret how much they thought an electronic device could raise an human being. shyt's going to blow up in their faces.
I was just talking to my wife and mother in-law about this...

Basically, in like 15 to 20 years, the people who advance and progress the most in their careers are going to be those with the fundamental skill of speaking to people in person. Society is growing individuals up who don't know how to interact with people face to face. With tech advancing and being so instant, the physical human interaction is taking a major hit.

People are inclined now to type up a review of an experience for something that happened to them, than talk about it as it happens. This shyt crazy.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
As opposed to now? Take away all electronic devices/the Internet and let's see how the average person fares for a week.
Oh don't get me wrong, it is bad now. But we weren't born in it. We got it in our childhood.

There are babies right now who try to swipe images on books. Tablets, phones, ipads are stuffed in their hands when they can't even talk. If we are already deep in it, imagine how it's going to be when they hit adult age.

Society will have to make a choice. Either accept that social norms and conventions have changed (watch how people on the streets walking are glued to a screen), or fight back like it happened with cigarettes and so on. My bet is scientific world is going to dissect the fukk out of the phenomena, studies after studies, then it's going to get to the mainstream and "anti" screens movements are going to emerge, promoting screen-safe spaces or new ways to educate people. That's the good scenario.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I was just talking to my wife and mother in-law about this...

Basically, in like 15 to 20 years, the people who advance and progress the most in their careers are going to be those with the fundamental skill of speaking to people in person. Society is growing individuals up who don't know how to interact with people face to face. With tech advancing and being so instant, the physical human interaction is taking a major hit.

People are inclined now to type up a review of an experience for something that happened to them, than talk about it as it happens. This shyt crazy.
Couldn't agree more. Society is going to experienced huge changes. This virtual world shyt isn't a joke, and the craziest thing is that it is unfolding right now under our eyes as we speak, but it seems almost inevitable.

When videos surfaceabout how phone developers design their material as to mess with the brain's reward system and create cravings, this is brushed under the rug. But these are the people that define our lives and how the dinners of tomorrow will happen, just like the creators of TV did.

Addictologists are going to have a field decade with that. They see it unfolding right now with huge growths in screen addictions. And that's only the beginning :lupe:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Oh don't get me wrong, it is bad now. But we weren't born in it. We got it in our childhood.

There are babies right now who try to swipe images on books. Tablets, phones, ipads are stuffed in their hands when they can't even talk. If we are already deep in it, imagine how it's going to be when they hit adult age.

Society will have to make a choice. Either accept that social norms and conventions have changed (watch how people on the streets walking are glued to a screen), or fight back like it happened with cigarettes and so on. My bet is scientific world is going to dissect the fukk out of the phenomena, studies after studies, then it's going to get to the mainstream and "anti" screens movements are going to emerge, promoting screen-safe spaces or new ways to educate people. That's the good scenario.
I have a 15 month old, and I refuse to let this happen to her. We don't let her play with our phones, or tablets because I already know how addictive that shyt can be for adults... let alone a kid with their brain still developing.

It's a damn shame when I go out to eat and I see babies glued to their parents phone screens just so they can be quiet.

Audemar

Superstar
Daps
Either accept that social norms and conventions have changed (watch how people on the streets walking are glued to a screen)
Agreed regarding the fact that people are glued to screens in just about every setting. However, we've long gone beyond the stage of accepting that norms/conventions have changed. This is especially true with the "younger" demographic, where people without any social media presence, for example, are seen as weird. Society determines what is "normal." Adjust or be ostracized, as has been the case throughout history. I'm sure there are those who remember when spending time on a computer was "a weird thing to do." Look at everyone now.:francis:

Spaceman Piff

Superstar
Daps
people have died while playing games.. parents have let their kids die while they played games.. can't tell me they weren't addicted.

mobile gaming is like 99% preying on people's addictive behavior. the whole concept of "freemium" is giving people a taste for free and then charging them money when they want more :francis:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
there was a thread on this. and the overall thought was...cut us a check if that's how they pushing it. But there was a story about a 9 year old girl who was REALLY addicted to Fortnite where she used her parents credit card on a bunch of micro transactions, and even when her parents took her Xbox away, she snuck late at night and played it. The worst part is that she even pissed herself just so she could sit there and continue to play the game. She in rehab now.

So if that's the type of addiction they talking then by all means.

A 9 year old is in rehab
tenor.gif