Various slave & black to white ratios in the new world + descriptions of plantation sizes during the time of slavery.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@xoxodede

@Supper

USA

7WI9q1W.png

Ailb7fj.png

Haiti

fAzZVsp.jpg

Barbados/Jamaica/Antigua

0a9D9yf.jpg

Jamaica/USA/Haiti

1Ln3wkY.jpg

Last edited:

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I thought 2 million blacks/slaves seemed off but I've seen those numbers in various publications, so I wasn't sure how far off it was. I did some more digging and found this figure:

9RiMk8V.jpg

Only 500,000 enslaved Africans? I think that’s a conservative estimate. Interesting breakdown. Thank you 🙏🏾

timeless

All Star
Daps
It's interesting how a lot of the descendants of slaves in the Caribbean kept their African traditions whereas in the US we didn't. Well, not really, but those traditions/beliefs were/are seen as "evil".

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
It's interesting how in most of states with the largest slave ratios, the inhabitants today still have the highest percentages of African ancestry. In the Sea Islands, I know a big reason why is that the slave population was isolated from the mainland and whites in general and that just carried over for generations.

Screen_Shot_2014-12-21_at_5.01.05_PM.0.png

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's interesting how a lot of the descendants of slaves in the Caribbean kept their African traditions whereas in the US we didn't. Well, not really, but those traditions/beliefs were/are seen as "evil".
African Americans probably kept more traditions than any other group. The Blues are from the Sahel in West Africa. African Americans kept that music alive through slavery and the Blues are the basis of almost all American music.

African American also kept Gullah Geechee Culture alive which is a mixture of a lot of different African cultures. African foods were also kept alive by African Americans and stuff like shouting in African American churches and Dr. Watts songs in Black Churches which are really calls to prayer are right from Muslim of West Africa.

timeless

All Star
Daps
African Americans probably kept more traditions than any other group. The Blues are from the Sahel in West Africa. African Americans kept that music alive through slavery and the Blues are the basis of almost all American music.

African American also kept Gullah Geechee Culture alive which is a mixture of a lot of different African cultures. African foods were also kept alive by African Americans and stuff like shouting in African American churches and Dr. Watts songs in Black Churches which are really calls to prayer are right from Muslim of West Africa.

Thank you! You know, you're right. I guess my own upbringing has skewed my perception a bit. Also, I'll have to look into that blues-sahel connection.

What sort of African foods? It's my understanding that most soul food was created from the leftover scraps during slavery..?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thank you! You know, you're right. I guess my own upbringing has skewed my perception a bit. Also, I'll have to look into that blues-sahel connection.

What sort of African foods? It's my understanding that most soul food was created from the leftover scraps during slavery..?
Stuff like black eyed peas, okra, melons and even rice came to this country with the slaves. The banjo is another thing that was brought here by slaves.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

How strong the African influence is, for the most part, correlates with places who had late(r) african imports

from-african-to-creole.jpg

0a9D9yf.jpg

This is why a place like Barbados doesn't have strong afro-rooted culture and why places like Cuba and Brazil are the exact opposite

Last edited: