Unsighted: The Metroidvainia thats better than Metroid Dred

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Know that I see this game it's not even metroidvania, it's more like a Zelda clone

game isn't even comparable to metroid

just because you can move through map screens freely doesn't make it a metroidvania lmao

It looks more like hyper light drifter to me, which I guess yeah, its more zeldavania

Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Master Teacher and @Gizmo_Duck confused on what makes a “metroidvania”

It’s about progression. In that you gain equipment/powers to unlock new areas and shortcuts around the map.

You could do that on Zelda on NES, that's not metroidvania

Now it doesn't, Metroidvania is Metroid and Castlevania put together

There is one metroid game that is a metroid vania, this game in the OP isn't a metroidvania it doesn't play like metroid and castlevania put together

its literally called metroidvania that's exactly what the name means lmao

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You could do that on Zelda on NES, that's not metroidvania
Zelda is different in that you are just unlocking the new areas.

In Metroidvania games there’s new equipment and a new gameplay element usually involving some type of combat or platforming, that by the end of the game you are able to move freeely and quickly around the map.

Now it doesn't, Metroidvania is Metroid and Castlevania put together
No it’s not. You don’t even understand why the term was coined. It’s cause progression is the same in both games. So when you mention one you have to mention the other. There’s no “put together” cause they are one in the same.

There is one metroid game that is a metroid vania, this game in the OP isn't a metroidvania it doesn't play like metroid and castlevania put together

its literally called metroidvania that's exactly what the name means lmao
Have absolutely no idea what you are talking about brehs :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Zelda is different in that you are just unlocking the new areas.

In Metroidvania games there’s new equipment and a new gameplay element usually involving some type of combat or platforming, that by the end of the game you are able to move freeely and quickly around the map.

No it’s not. You don’t even understand why the term was coined. It’s cause progression is the same in both games. So when you mention one you have to mention the other. There’s no “put together” cause they are one in the same.

Have absolutely no idea what you are talking about brehs :mjlol:

Zelda has skill gates also, I’m not really sure what you’re arguing. Metroidvanias tend to be 2d platformers first and foremost. I’ve never heard a game that wasn’t described as one.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Zelda has skill gates also, I’m not really sure what you’re arguing. Metroidvanias tend to be 2d platformers first and foremost. I’ve never heard a game that wasn’t described as one.
So everybody else wrong and @Gizmo_Duck is right :ehh:

Lots of games are described as Metroidvania that are not side scrollers.

I mean you see dozens of gamers and the gamer press describing this game this way, even the devs of the game classify it that way.

The perspective doesn’t matter. The term references the progression and how you open up the map.

Just like you can have a 2d soulslike even though the original souls games are 3D

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So everybody else wrong and @Gizmo_Duck is right :ehh:

Lots of games are described as Metroidvania that are not side scrollers.

I mean you see dozens of gamers and the gamer press describing this game this way, even the devs of the game classify it that way.

The perspective doesn’t matter. The term references the progression and how you open up the map.

Just like you can have a 2d soulslike even though the original souls games are 3D

A lot of people say a lot of dumb shyt in the press and the audience follows suit. Like how everyone calls everything a darksouls of ____ now. Or says every open world game is BoTW. People have a hard time disassociating popularity of a game with the actual genre it falls into.

The progression system that exist in Metroid exist in Zelda also. You know when you get bombs and can now blow up rocks that lead you to another part of the map, or hookshot, or strength gloves. Thats all gated progression and this game has more in common with Zelda and its mechanics than it does Metroid or castlevania.

Once again, i know its cool to include Metroid dread in everything now to get clicks but theres no similarities beyond that

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
A lot of people say a lot of dumb shyt in the press and the audience follows suit. Like how everyone calls everything a darksouls of ____ now. Or says every open world game is BoTW. People have a hard time disassociating popularity of a game with the actual genre it falls into.
It’s a made up word. Obviously it’s defined by the community. Don’t matter what you personally think :stopitslime:

The progression system that exist in Metroid exist in Zelda also. You know when you get bombs and can now blow up rocks that lead you to another part of the map, or hookshot, or strength gloves. Thats all gated progression and this game has more in common with Zelda and its mechanics than it does Metroid or castlevania.
The big difference is that Zelda games tend to be a big (kinda) empty map with specific dungeons that use each new skill. But it’s not necessarily the skills themselves that open the areas. In Metroidvanias the entire map is like a puzzle you will learn/earn your way around. And most powers are based around a new traversal or combat method.

Yes unsighted has some similarities to Zelda. But the progression and the way the map works is purely Metroidvania.

Once again, i know its cool to include Metroid dread in everything now to get clicks but theres no similarities beyond that
Again. @Gizmo_Duck possess wisdom that the rest of the gaming community does not :ehh:

:mjlol: