UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, isn't as popular as he could be due to racism -Joe Rogan

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/joe-rogan-ive-misquoted-left-163607647.html

jon-jones-joe-rogan_crop_exact.jpg

Monday, UFC color commentator Joe Rogan wondered aloud on his podcast whether the sport's No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, isn't as popular as he could be due to racism among part of MMA's fan base.

By Tuesday, Rogan's comments gained traction and kicked up an online storm. As is usually the case, the debate varied from those who looked to have an honest discussion of racism in the sport to trolls who are always trying too hard to portray the worst fringes of the MMA subculture as if they were the norm to everything in between.

By Wednesday, Rogan took to Twitter and claimed he was taken out of context.
"I've been misquoted left & right about Jones lack of popularity," Rogan tweeted. "I said ‘I wonder how much of it is racism' key words WONDER & HOW MUCH."
Moments later, he added, "I didn't say Jones isn't more popular because everyone who dislikes him is racist. It's a subject for debate and discussion, that's it."
Rogan, a standup comedian by trade, is no stranger to making comments which have caused backlash. The most infamous such incident came in 2011,
when he referred to a female MMA reporter by a vulgar term.

Here are Rogan's podcast comments on Jones:
"I don't know why Jon is not more loved or popular than he is. I don't understand it. In my opinion, I will never miss a Jon Jones f-- pay-per-view. I've heard people say, 'Oh, he's cocky. He's this and [that].' I wonder what the f-- is going on with that and I'm going to throw this out there, I'm just going to say it: I wonder how much of it is racism. I really do.
"You know why? Because I think they look at him as this cocky black guy and I think a lot of people have an issue with that. I think that if he was a white guy and he was doing the same thing, a la a Chael Sonnen, I think he would be way more popular. Chael was never the successful athlete that Jon is, but I think Chael was way more successful as a promoter than Jon is. Jon has not been nearly as cocky or outwardly braggadocious as Chael was."

"I just always found it odd when everybody would get upset at him and say that they didn't like that 'he's cocky.' He's 25 and he's the UFC's light heavyweight champion. He's the youngest ever UFC champion. He destroyed Shogun [Rua] to win the title and I mean destroyed. He threw a flying knee and hit Shogun in the chin five seconds into their fight. I mean, Jon Jones is a motherf***er. He's a motherf***er, but for whatever reason people have had an issue with that. I know I'm going to get a bunch of hate tweets. 'F**k you and your f***ing bulls**t. What do you got? White guilt? Calling out racism?'

"I'm probably going to get an equal amount from 'the Aryan race,' mad at me for defending Jon Jones, 'The cocky negro.' I really think there's something to that. I think people want a guy who is so physically gifted and young and brash and black and rich, they want him to have more humility or fake humility, as it were. I think Jon's trying that a little bit and that's one of the reasons Daniel Cormier was like, 'You are so fake.' Cormier was saying that to him because I think he's trying to counteract how people feel about him."

Last edited:

LeVraiPapi

Redemption is Coming
Daps
Joe Rogan was like a brother to Dave Chappelle and he grew up watching black comedy and called lotta cacs out on their BS. He called out Carlos Mencia and other popular comedians for biting Pryor and Cosby and getting away with it. DUde's a G and he always tries to call out UFC fans who like Chael so I m not surprised here at all. I m shocked Dana ain't fired him yet

MacNCheese

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Bull-shyt, the frat crowds loved Silva and he doesn't even speak English. People just don't like Jones, fans need to stop making excuses.
If you go on their forums, you'll find out a lot of those guys don't consider Silva to be black, or are in denial about it. White MMA fans like black fighters to be non docile and "humble" like Cormier or Rumble or a complete sambo like Rampage or Sapp. If you're black, confident and not a negative stereotype ( Jones, Rashad, Bendo etc) they'll hate you.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you go on their forums, you'll find out a lot of those guys don't consider Silva to be black, or are in denial about it. White MMA fans like black fighters to be non docile and "humble" like Cormier or Rumble or a complete sambo like Rampage or Sapp. If you're black, confident and not a negative stereotype ( Jones, Rashad, Bendo etc) they'll hate you.

I'm on Sherdog and I have never seen anyone say this :why:

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps

Nah, they love Rampage too. Jones is just an a-sshole. Hey it happens.

concise

Veteran
Daps

:dwillhuh: They hate Rashad Evans?