U St in DC

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
got a chance to see the end game of gentrification this past weekend in DC. For those of you who arent familiar, U Street (near ben's chilli bowl) is a couple of club and bar filled blocks geared to the 21 and up crowd. Now i dont know how long its been the way it is now because i havent been here in over a year, but ive been coming to this area for damn near 10 years and have seen it go from an all black party area to the "friends" esqe environment it has become today.

Its crazy, cause on first glance it looks live as shyt in the area now...........but once you get in the midst the area is weak as shyt. Alot of drunk whites who be in their own world, corny negroes and thats basically it............no real quality. We were literally sitting on the block looking for quality chicks to walk by to get at and saw none..........it was crazy cause this area used to be russeling with some nice joints.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Well, whenever gentrification pushes out one thing, it doesn't go away. It just moves somewhere else. Where this is now, I don't know. Maybe downtown Silver Spring, SE DC.

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
Meaning, it's grown in popularity. It's been brewing for the last couple of years, but seems that over the last year it exploded.

this is my point..............

years ago it was already popular, but only in regards to black people...........

now the whites have taken it over and basically made it their spot..........

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
this is my point..............

years ago it was already popular, but only in regards to black people...........

now the whites have taken it over and basically made it their spot..........

Not too sure, ironically the only people that have really told me about U Street over the last few years have been black people. :manny: I haven't been there in forever.

I remember going there like 10+ years ago to watch a random DJ battle in some spot that was no bigger than a walk-in closet.

Luchini

Not here for you.
Daps
I was there last weekend and saw mostly black people. There were some white people but they do there own thing and a lot of them travel from other parts of the city to hangout there. In the day time all I saw was black people

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
Not too sure, ironically the only people that have really told me about U Street over the last few years have been black people. :manny: I haven't been there in forever.

I remember going there like 10+ years ago to watch a random DJ battle in some spot that was no bigger than a walk-in closet.

ive been going there since before repbulic gardens changed its name to the Republic so i have a frame of what it was like then and what it is like now.....and its different. This past weekends crowd looked like an episode of friends........

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
I was there last weekend and saw mostly black people. There were some white people but they do there own thing and a lot of them travel from other parts of the city to hangout there. In the day time all I saw was black people

im not speaking of the daytime.......im speaking on the night life

Last edited:

nls743

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Dmv area
Smh yeah, its kinda sad. Ive been in the DC area for over 3 years. Even when I moved here there wasnt as many white ppl as there are now. Busboys and poets use to be one of the good spots on U street, especially if your into open mics. Now its basically trash and the soul has been sucked out of the place.

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
ive been going there since before repbulic gardens changed its name to the Republic so i have a frame of what it was like then and what it is like now.....and its different. This past weekends crowd looked like an episode of friends........

Republic Gardens, that's bringing back some memories :whew: