To The Victor Go The Spurs - The Official 2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
@AlbertPullhoez @duckbutta @lightskin jermaine

Do we have anything with Sidy Cissoko?

What's the upside here?
He's worth developing but he needs to show he's worth the investment by leading the summer league team and balling out in the g league. He had some moments when he got some playing time last year but as we go into year 2 of Wemby, these young guys gotta prove they belong by playing well consistently.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
Here's my current "entering the offseason" outlook of the roster. I'll link this in the OP too for easy reference.

STARTING LINEUP:
PG: Chris Paul
(joins the Spurs about 8 years too late, but finally provides some much-needed vet leadership/accountability for the non-Vic youngins)
SG: Devin Vassell (entering year 5. Entering true prime but needs to show he can stay healthy (yet to play more than 71 games in a season))
SF: Harrison Barnes (the big summer 2024 acquisition? Career 38% 3 point shooter offers an overall upgrade at SF from last year)
PF: Jeremy Sochan (the numbers tell you he's one of the better defenders in the league. Really needs to develop his jumper)
C: Victor Wembanyama (already a top-10 player. Should be unlocked offensively with a true point guard setting the table for him)

BENCH:
PG: Stephen Castle
PG: Tre Jones
SG: Blake Wesley
SG: Sidy Cissoko
SF: Keldon Johnson
SF: Malaki Branham
SF: Julian Champagnie
PF: Sandro Mamukelashvili
C: Zach Collins
C: Charles Bassey

Draft Picks: Stephen Castle, Juan Nunez, Harrison Ingram
Key Additions: Chris Paul; Harrison Barnes
Key Losses: Devonte Graham; Cedi Osman
Future First Round Draft Picks: 2025 (Spurs; Hawks; Bulls Top 10 protected; Hornets Top 14 protected); 2026 (Spurs; Hawks swap); 2027 (Spurs; Hawks); 2028 (Spurs; Boston swap (top 1 protected); 2029 (Spurs); 2030 (Spurs; Mavs pick swap; Wolves pick swap top 1 protected); 2031 (Spurs; Wolves; Kings swap)

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Here's my current "entering the offseason" outlook of the roster. I'll link this in the OP too for easy reference.

STARTING LINEUP:
PG: Chris Paul
(joins the Spurs about 8 years too late, but finally provides some much-needed vet leadership/accountability for the non-Vic youngins)
SG: Devin Vassell (entering year 5. Entering true prime but needs to show he can stay healthy (yet to play more than 71 games in a season))
SF: Julian Champagnie (Walmart Danny Green. I don't see Keldon unseating him due to spacing issues with Vic, and Castle won't start early on)
PF: Jeremy Sochan (the numbers tell you he's one of the better defenders in the league. Really needs to develop his jumper)
C: Victor Wembanyama (already a top-10 player. Should be unlocked offensively with a true point guard setting the table for him)

BENCH:
PG: Stephen Castle
PG: Tre Jones
PG: Devonte Graham (likely waived/traded)
SG: Blake Wesley
SG: Sidy Cissoko
SF: Keldon Johnson
SF: Malaki Branham
SF: Cedi Osman (free agent, likely won't return)
PF: Sandro Mamukelashvili
C: Zach Collins

Draft Picks: Stephen Castle, Juan Nunez, Harrison Ingram
Key Additions: Chris Paul;
Key Losses:
Future First Round Draft Picks:
2025 (Spurs; Hawks; Bulls Top 10 protected; Hornets Top 14 protected); 2026 (Spurs; Hawks swap); 2027 (Spurs; Hawks); 2028 (Spurs; Boston swap (top 1 protected); 2029 (Spurs); 2030 (Spurs; Mavs pick swap; Wolves pick swap top 1 protected); 2031 (Spurs; Wolves)​
Malaki Branham might be on his way out.
Blake Wesley has better odds of hanging on for the moment.

Neither is looking great.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Malaki Branham might be on his way out.
Blake Wesley has better odds of hanging on for the moment.

Neither is looking great.
If my research is correct, both club options for the 25-26 season have to be exercised by 10/31/24. I think you're correct in neither being likely to have their options exercised. Maybe Wesley for defensive purposes but I'd rather shoot for more upside (especially if they pick twice in 25).

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man I'm starting to get my hopes up about a pursuit for Lauri. :mjcry:
I'm not.

The asking prices that I've seen people float around are insane.
I'm not in favor of giving Danny Ainge a goddamn thing.

People talking about multiple first round picks for a guy who will be a free agent at the end of the year.
The Spurs can package their draft picks for a hell of a lot more than Lauri Markkanen. He's a good player, and I'd like to have him. But why would you give up a bunch of 1st round draft picks for a guy who really only gives you shooting?

The Spurs get Markkanen, they win more games. He goes into free agency and leaves, and then where are you? Literally in the same position you're in now -- needing a reliable Power Forward who can shoot and play defense -- only now you're out 2 or 3 or 4 valuable draft picks in the deepest draft in several years.

If Ainge wants to move Markkanen, he'd have to accept 2 picks at best, and then some players. And at least one of those picks ought to be in 2027 or something.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
I'm not.

People talking about multiple first round picks for a guy who will be a free agent at the end of the year.
The Spurs can package their draft picks for a hell of a lot more than Lauri Markkanen. He's a good player, and I'd like to have him. But why would you give up a bunch of 1st round draft picks for a guy who really only gives you shooting?

The Spurs get Markkanen, they win more games. He goes into free agency and leaves, and then where are you? Literally in the same position you're in now -- needing a reliable Power Forward who can shoot and play defense -- only now you're out 2 or 3 or 4 valuable draft picks in the deepest draft in several years.

If Ainge wants to move Markkanen, he'd have to accept 2 picks at best, and then some players. And at least one of those picks ought to be in 2027 or something.
My guess is there would likely be some kind of handshake guarantee that LM stays (a la Siakam). Most I'd be willing to pay if an impact player is not included would be Collins/Wesley/Nunez draft rights/SA 25/CHI 25/SA 27. With LM in the fold, you assume you're at least a play-in team and our own pick wouldn't be great. And we're still in the lottery in 27 in any capacity, Wright will be out of a job.

I don't think Keldon moves the needle for Ainge, but if he or say Sochan was included, then I think we hold onto our 25 pick.

Not optimistic a deal gets made though. Feels like Golden States recent moves are setting them up to part with Kuminga.

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
I'm not.

Scared money don't make money though. I'd do it, risk outweighs the reward. I mean do we want talent around Victor or not?

Pacers did it with Siakim and they made it to the ECF and he re-signed. I'm pretty sure if SA traded for Lauri and threw him a bag to re-up he would