To Leave Or To Stay? What Would You Do If You Were A TV Star?

What Would You Zdo?

• Stay

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Go

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
Daps
A tale as old as time…You star in a wildly successful show that just wrapped two seasons. Your name carries weight and there are a variety of potential big movie roles with your name on it if you seize the moment. What do you do?

1. Stay with the sure bet in the show that made you famous but run the risk of being typecasted by the time the show ends and never be able to command the offers you do now.

2. Take a chance at becoming a megastar in movies but run the risk of falling flat on your face if the right role comes around. You can tarnish on the good will you built up with your TV show and you may never be able to return to that medium if your movie shyt goes left

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Think it boils down to what kind of actor you see yourself as. Are you doing it strictly for the check or are you picking roles that personally interest you?

#1. I wanna see where my character’s story goes and with it being a wildly successful show, I want to be a part of it when the crew decides to wrap things up.

There’s a caveat to that where the show and the role I’m taking on could overstay their welcome by that point, have my name carry less weight than it did before, but that’s the risk I would be willing to make. If this was real life and this TV role is putting me on the map, I’m more than likely juggling both sides (ie. cast of Atlanta, Euphoria).

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Two seasons is too early to make the jump from a TV show. I would stay another season or two before I make the jump.

If you choose the 2nd option, then you better make sure you have an actual plan in place before you end up like Jesse Williams.
Or Katherine Heigl, who thought she had the juice and ended up falling flat on her face too.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice:

Guess it depends on the type of show and network. Am I on a prestige HBO show?

It's very different than it was even 20 years ago, where majority of tv shows were 22+ episodes and it was hard to find time to film a movie. With 8-13 episode seasons and longer breaks between filming, its easier to juggle both.

But I think with movies, it's tough to be a star now. You're starring in movies of established IPs or sequels where the IP is the star.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Too little information to make a decision on tbh. Am I on a sitcom, soap opera, drama, etc. The difference is am typecast like Jaleel White or David Caruso. And I don't choose from distinction in shows alone...Urkel will be one of the most remembered TV characters of all-time, Caruso has the perception of more serious roles...but they're forgetable in the gramd scheme. But it comes down to preference for what you're remembered for.

Gun to my head, 2 seasons isn't enough jump ship or pursue other ventures simultaneously. And TV is better than cinema for about the last 15 years. Paycheck might not be as good, but longevity is better on TV.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You probably haven’t even made that much money after 2 seasons because you haven’t renegotiated your contract.

Like others said, not enough info, but I would stay I hope that I’m on a stupid popular CBS show. Drama or comedy, it doesn’t matter. Both the NCIS and Big Bang Theory casts made bank.