☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ers-of-whites-dont-have-any-non-white-friends

Three quarters of whites don’t have any non-white friends

Comments 753

By Christopher Ingraham August 25, 2014

"All my black friends have a bunch of white friends. And all my white friends have one black friend."

That's the memorable punchline of a Chris Rock bit from 2009 on interracial friendships. And according to some recent number-crunching by Robert Jones of the Public Religion Research Institute, there's a good deal of truth to that statement.

Let's consider the average white American and the average black American, and let's say, for simplicity's sake, that each of them have 100 friends. If you were to break down their respective friend networks by race, they would look something like this.

sorting," and it affects everything from political polarization to income inequality to the racial differences in friend networks seen above.

As PRRI's Robert Jones writes in the Atlantic, Americans' segregated social circles have influenced responses to the events in Ferguson, Mo., over the past few weeks. Polls show deep divides between blacks and whites on everything from the role of race in Ferguson to the appropriateness of responses by protestors and police.

The numbers above offer insight into why so many whites have expressed bafflement over protesters' responses to the shooting of Michael Brown. The history between many black communities and the police forces that serve them is long, complicated, often violent and characterized by an extreme imbalance of power. But as Robert Jones notes, most whites are not "socially positioned" to understand this history -- simply because they know few people who've experienced it.

To be fair, the numbers suggest there is plenty of racial self-selection in black Americans' friend networks, too. But focusing solely on black-white relations, there's a pretty big difference between having only one member of a given race in your friend network and having eight of them.

In fact, PRRI's data show that a full 75 percent of whites have "entirely white social networks without any minority presence." The same holds true for slightly less than two-thirds of black Americans.

The implication of these findings is that when we talk about race in our personal lives, we are by and large discussing it with people who look like us.

How PRRI calculated the racial breakdowns of friend networks

As part of their American Values Survey, PRRI researchers asked respondents to name up to seven people with whom they regularly discussed important matters. They then asked a battery of demographic questions about these people -- their relationships to their respondents, as well as their gender, religion and, germane for these purposes, their race. They used these numbers to derive average racial breakdowns of the friend networks of the average black, white and Hispanic survey respondent.

Christopher Ingraham writes about politics, drug policy and all things data. He previously worked at the Brookings Institution and the Pew Research Center.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
I have ONE white "friend" :yeshrug: don't people of the same race/ethnicity/culture usually stick with each other?

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have ONE white "friend" :yeshrug: don't people of the same race/ethnicity/culture usually stick with each other?

Yes, but a lot of black folks don't realize people stick with their own and end up giving everything to everyone except their own and it ends up that they have their money,talent, and resources to work with AND ours. Further holding us back in all facets of life activities.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Yes, but a lot of black folks don't realize people stick with their own and end up giving everything to everyone except their own and it ends up that they have their money,talent, and resources to work with AND ours. Further holding us back in all facets of life activities.

Oh, when I said stick with their own I didn't mean all races BUILD with their own. Notice I said "friends"...when it comes to needing to know someone of importance or someone that can help me get ahead I have plenty of white associates/business partners. But you're right, as blacks we may stick around each other but we don't help each other AT ALL

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Meh, most Black folk have no non Black friends, most Latinos have no non Latin friends, and so on.