Thoughts on kettlebells?

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Depends on what your goals are. I personally love them because, like someone else mentioned, they build/strengthen the posterior chain. Swing intervals are also an EXCELLENT fat burner. It's a tool just like any other type of fitness equipment (dumbbells, medicine balls, etc) that is very versatile and can give you good results if used consistently.
Just want to lean out some and further burn fat. Not looking to be mr. Olympia or nothing. :ld:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Everything in fitness is a "fad" at some point if it is discovered to be an effective form of exercise.

Bodybuilding was a "fad" at one point, "plyometrics" was a fad as well. Eventually these things became very common. KB's will too.
Well, bodybuilding isn't a fad. It's a sport that's been going on for decades. Plyometrics isn't a fad either. Olympic athletes and pro sports atheles still do them. The amateur athlete may have done them in the past when it was all the rage. If you want to improve your jumps and sprints, you can still do them.
Kettlebell exercises were popular a very long time ago. Someone just happen to bring them back. You can still do all the kettlebell exercises with a dumbbell.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Well, bodybuilding isn't a fad. It's a sport that's been going on for decades. Plyometrics isn't a fad either. Olympic athletes and pro sports atheles still do them. The amateur athlete may have done them in the past when it was all the rage. If you want to improve your jumps and sprints, you can still do them.
Kettlebell exercises were popular a very long time ago. Someone just happen to bring them back. You can still do all the kettlebell exercises with a dumbbell.
i never said body building and plyo are currently fads. I said they started out as one, much like every other effective form of fitness. At one point it was relatively "new" and a lot of people started doing it (ie a "fad) and it eventually caught on as a common thing due to effectiveness.

I was just making a point to say that being a "Fad" is irrelevant...

You don't need to school me... I'm certified 3 times over in a few concentrations...

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I see nothing wrong with kettlebells if you are working out at home and need as little equipment as possible. 2 kettlebells, one heavy and one not as heavy, thats all you would need.

But if you are using them at the gym it doesnt make any sense when there is other superior equipment available.

Furthermore, and I may be wrong on this, but havent studies shown that cardio combined with resistance training is inferior for building muscle? So really kettlebell routines dont seem too usefull except for weight loss and muscle endurance (which may be some peoples main goal)

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
no real top athletes have gotten where they have gotten using kettlebells.

Maybe not doing kettlebells alone, but a lot of athletes incorporate them into their workout. I've ever used them, but I used to watch different pro athletes' workout videos on YouTube to get ideas for new routines, and I saw a few NFLers using kettlebells.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
i have a 35lb kettlebell at home i use. swings help strengthen my core and posterior chain. i dont rely on them for muscle building tho. if i didnt get a chance to do shoulders at the gym because it was packed i might go home and do some shoulder presses with it but thats about it.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Kettlebells are the GOAT piece of weight equipment for the average gym goer.....too many dudes are in the gym wasting their time trying to be Ronnie Coleman...nikkas got big arms but big guts too

I'm starting a kettlebell website that will have all you haters hating on the KB's :jawalrus: