This Is Now The Number One Country To Visit In South America

#BOTHSIDES

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
There is a country in South America that has been getting a lot of attention among American travelers this year. The music, the beaches, the food, the people… Colombia has it all!

After simplifying entry requirements during the pandemic and this year during Easter, the Latin country broke multiple records in hotel and flight bookings. And now, new studies and international recognition are increasing Colombia’s popularity.

colorful street in Cartagena, Colombia, south america

According to a recent press release, Colombia is now the number 1 destination in South America for globetrotters. From the practical airplane routes to the amazing local nature and biodiversity to its appealing culture, there are many reasons why Colombia is leading tourism in South America, and over 2 million international visitors traveled to this destination in August.

backpacker admiring the view of the Colombian valley, south america

Gilberto Salcedo, Tourism Vice President of ProColombia—the government tourism agency— said: “According to data from ForwardKeys, bookings to Colombia for the mid-year season exceeded the 2021 record by 148%, and the country has experienced a solid recovery thanks to its safety, work hand in hand with the airlines, tour operators, travel agents and the awakening of a demand that is looking for meaningful travel.”

Caribbean beaches, spectacular Andes mountains, a part of the Amazon rainforest, and so much more! Here’s why this destination has been getting so much attention in 2022:

Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
Travel Off Path Recommends These 5 Fast and Easy Travel Insurance Plans To Sign up For Now
Plans starting at only $10 per week
National Park in Colombia, south america

International Recognition

This year, Colombia ranked in third place in Forbes’s list of the 50 most beautiful countries in the World, based on a study performed by money.co.uk. The research considered its beautiful landscapes, from the coasts to its borders with Brazil and Venezuela.

A female hiker having fun in the Paramo de Oceta in Boyaco, Colombia

The World Travel Awards—the Oscars of the travel industry— also made special recognition to different destinations in Colombia. Cartagena was mentioned among the leading destinations for honeymoons, San Andrés as a leading beach destination, Medellín as an emerging destination, and Cali as a leading cultural city.

Aerial View Of Guatape Rock, Colombia

Also, digital nomads across the world have Colombia on their radar since the country’s new Digital Nomad Visa is one of the easiest to apply for. The government is joining the trend in South America—initiated by Brazil and Argentina— and launched their own digital nomad visa that requires only a minimum monthly income of $684. With the new digital nomad visa, travelers get to explore the territory for up to two years, and there’s so much to see in Colombia.

Top Destinations In Colombia

Medellin Cable Car Pictured Against The City's Backdrop, Colombia

There are 8 airlines offering non-stop flights from the US to Colombia, and many places travelers can visit during their stay in this country. Colombian gastronomy has so much to offer and can provide different flavors depending on the location, but great coffee and delicious meals—like the bandeja paisa and the delicious pan de bono— are guaranteed!

Colombian Flag in Tayrona park

Colombia has a great destination for every traveler, from those who only want to relax in the Caribbean to those who want adventure and jungle to those who want to learn more about its history, and even those who just want to learn how to dance salsa. Here’s a quick review of the top destinations in this beautiful country:

• Bogotá: The beautiful capital has fascinating museums like the Botero Museum and the museum of gold, as well as worth visiting landmarks like Monserrate hill and the Plaza Bolivar.
  • Cartagena: If you want beautiful beaches, colorful and unique architecture, and great nightlife, this is your destination.
  • Medellín: Once known as a dangerous city, Medellin has made huge efforts to change its reputation and is currently one of the tourists’ favorite spots.
  • San Andrés: This Colombian island in the Caribbean has gorgeous beaches and spectacular flora and fauna. It was named UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in 200. Even though it can be a little more expensive than on the mainland, visitors assure that it is worth it.
  • Cali: Salsa dancers will love Cali, and it’s popular for salsa lessons. This location has a vibrant nightlife, interesting museums and churches, and great hikes.
woman admiring Cartagena

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
I'm probably one of the few people in my friend/professional group(s) that hasn't been or isn't planning a trip there in the near future. Most of them are single so I really can't blame them.

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
Colombia & Costa Rica are my two favorite Spanish speaking countries in Latin America I've visited so far.

My wife wants to hit up Costa rica. What part of the country should we visit? What are some things to get into??

Mega

Superstar
Daps
My wife wants to hit up Costa rica. What part of the country should we visit? What are some things to get into??
I usually hit up the southern part of the country. In particular this town called Uvita. Real chill and relaxing area. I stay at this resort called Kura.

Costa Rica overall is great place to vacay.

Koli_Kat

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Makes sense. The got everything, beaches museums, dancing, nature, beautiful scenery and artwork - pretty much anything a tourist could ask for.

& Some other things too if you're about that life :lolbron:

Daps
I swear they have a holiday every other week.

=====

Their government starts taking applications for digital nomad visas this week.