This fan made 3D Sonic game "Sonic Project Hero" looks crazy

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Even though the it's a demo, the areas look pretty sparse.

How would you design levels around those gameplay mechanics? With it be a free roaming open world design or a more guided and linear experience?
It would be like Sonic Adventure.. idk why people think the sandbox shown is the actual level design.

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
It would be like Sonic Adventure.. idk why people think the sandbox shown is the actual level design.
It's because the move-set shown for each character lends itself to a more open level design.

Does an open world sonic really work? Because Adventure 1 & 2 was as linear as platformers come.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's because the move-set shown for each character lends itself to a more open level design.

Does an open world sonic really work?
Well the creator wrote in their description box that this isn't even a finished level and things exist/don't exist because this is really nothing.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
I mean it looks good and could use some major polish....but it really doesn't look any better than sonic adventure, conceptually, does it :manny:

Sonic just doesn't work well in an open world. Semi 3D or isometric is great, but not this.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
This makes no sense either. This isn't a level or anything at all, it's literally just Sonic moving around and jumping. this is just a demonstration of how Sonic would move around. The "level" even if "fully textured" isn't even a level. It's literally nothing, it's just physically a space, an empty space with no logic, no "obstacle" or anything. Saying it looks like a Mario 64 clone doesn't make sense because Mario 64 is a complete game, this isn't even a level yet.

From the YT video itself:
Q: Some other features are missing (e.g. Jump Pads, Vaulting)...What happened to them?

A: Most "missing" features are scrapped.

Q: Is this an "engine"?

A: No...For now...Well at this point I'm not even sure what it is or isn't. Seems to me like an amalgamation of mechanics and features that have little reason to even be there, as well as little relation and contribution to each other.

Q: Are you going to disappear again? A: Nope... I'll try to post stuff more frequently.

Q: When can we expect a release?
A: When I manage to make an actual stage.

Q: Wait...is that it? I'm underwhelmed...
A: Have you even bothered to stick 'till the end?

This isn't even a stage lol.

Your title says it looks crazy, it doesn't.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
3D Sonics were always most fun with linear stages like the Day Stages in Sonic Unleashed.

I can't see a sandbox Sonic being much fun once the novelty ends.
yeah that's what i meant when i said sonic isn't meant for 3D.

game shouldn't really be about exploration, that just defeats the purpose of the game in my opinion. it's about going fast, collecting rings and getting to the boss/end of level while maximizing both speed and rings IMO.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
It still doesn’t look good to me, even with full texture mapping.

It looks like another Mario64 clone instead of fast paced crazy scrolling like the og Sonics and generations.
OG sonic games werent fast paced

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Sega needs someone like a Cory Barlog to come in there and build a team that is really serious about post-Dreamcast Sonic. They need to sit down and really figure what the hell is Sonic and how that looks in today’s world and craft a game around it. Obviously this is a tough thing to do but to see how Sony was able to reboot God of War into such a freaking masterpiece gives me hope that it can be done for Sonic.

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
id cop :whoo:
Sega swallow your pride and pay this man:childplease: