These 3 Surprising Workouts Are the Best For Your Health, Says Harvard

YaBoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But aren't humans designed for long distance running. Are we sure its the running itself thats bad for you & not poor equipment, technique, biomechanics, surface, etc

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
How were you working out that you tore your knee up brehette? What exercise was it that did it? :picard:

Nah, just a lot of running. Lots during my time in the military (when I was off the clock) and even more when I got out. It was tied into just having poor body image in general - the drive to just keep running, long distance but at sprint speeds, to stay thin, even when my body was screaming.

If I had just taken that time to practiced controlled resistance and build endurance, maybe thru walking or swimming, I would have been healthier then and now.

It's funny looking back, I used to play Capoeira for a year in my 20s with a group but stopped because it didn't "hurt" like my typical workouts (so I thought that meant it was ineffective). It was probably the best workout for my body as well as my mind though.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I'll never be a swimmer, well maybe when I hit 50 or some shyt.

But I started walking this year as an "added workout" a few times a week, love it. Someone asked me why I don't run the lake, I was like damn my body needs to recover at some point.

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Nah, just a lot of running. Lots during my time in the military (when I was off the clock) and even more when I got out. It was tied into just having poor body image in general - the drive to just keep running, long distance but at sprint speeds, to stay thin, even when my body was screaming.

If I had just taken that time to practiced controlled resistance and build endurance, maybe thru walking or swimming, I would have been healthier then and now.

It's funny looking back, I used to play Capoeira for a year in my 20s with a group but stopped because it didn't "hurt" like my typical workouts (so I thought that meant it was ineffective). It was probably the best workout for my body as well as my mind though.

Military women, I seriously love y'all. I know it's the uniform, but it's something else too... :banderas:

Capoeira not hurting though? Honestly Capoeira was one of the martial arts that took the most out of me. It required a lot of dynamic and energy and ability to push aching muscles to the extreme. I have yet to find an activity in my life that was as demanding as Capoeira.

But I do realize some Capoeira instructors teach it as if it were Yoga instead of a fighting Art. Capoeira is meant to hurt...you are right that it's the best work out. I've been working out recently but I don't feel nearly as nimble as when I used to train Capoeira.

I could move my whole body in slow motion with just my hands on the ground. Which I can't do anymore. Honestly I wanna get back into it when I'm 30 or so, it's a great Martial Art.

Hagendas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What brands do you recommend? Or what brand do you use?

It’s not about brands, ideally you need to go to a proper professional running shop to find out your gait and what kind of foot type you have, over pronated under pronated or neutral from there they will advise you on the right type of shoe you need. Also would be good to get a off road or trail shoe and a road shoe