There’s a giant owl terrorizing a small Dutch town

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
By Elahe Izadi February 25 at 3:29 PM
Agence France-Presse reported.

On Tuesday night, the owl attacked a trainer and an athlete who were out for a run, Dutch public broadcaster Nos reported. One of the victims was left with head wounds that required stitches, AFP reported.

The owl had attacked other members of the athletic club just the night before, in what's become a weeks-long problem. The owl is also thought to be responsible for 15 attacks at a nearby home for the intellectually disabled, AFP reported.

"During the day there's no problem, but at night we now only venture outside armed with umbrellas, helmets and hats, anything really, to protect ourselves," the center's spokeswoman, Liselotte de Bruijn, told AFP. "The problem is that you don't hear the owl before it strikes. Its claws are razor-sharp."

"We hope the city will soon catch this rogue bird," she added.

In a statement, the town council said the owl may have once been kept in captivity. And that makes sense; the bird may be used to being around humans and associating them with food.

The European, or Eurasian, Eagle owl, is one of the world's largest owl species, with a wingspan of more than six feet. The animal feasts on small mammals such as rats and rabbits, as well as, in some instances, young deer.

The town will seek an exemption to catch the bird, given that it is a protected species, Nos reported. The bird's status, however, is ranked as"least concern" by conservationists.

"We want to catch the owl as our city's residents are in danger," the town's statement read."These procedures can still take some time. Meanwhile, we are advising people to stay away from the owl."

According to the nonprofit Peregrine Fund, a conservation group focused on birds of prey, eagle owl populations dropped during the first part of the 20th century, with humans hunting them. The bird's numbers have improved since then, but they are still subject to electrocution and getting hit by cars.

imrs.php

A Bengal eagle owl. (Emily Goodall)
imrs.php

A Turkmenian eagle owl (Jeff J. Mitchell/Reuters)
imrs.php

An eagle owl is pictured at a zoo in Mulhouse, eastern France. (Sebastien Bozon/AFP via Getty Images)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...owl-terrorizing-a-small-dutch-town/?tid=sm_fb

False flag?

I'm pleasantly surprised they're not calling it the Africanized Owl.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
there's an owl who comes outside my window on the roof once every several weeks.

it's weird, b/c he doesnt come til like 1-2am and only when it's really cold outside......but he's LOUD as f.

And b/c it's really cold and still in the night, it really loud when he does his "whooooooo, who who whooo" And when he does it, EVERY dog in the neighborhood goes CRAZY barking.

I haven't seen what he looks like but he sounds huge.

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
there's an owl who comes outside my window on the roof once every several weeks.

it's weird, b/c he doesnt come til like 1-2am and only when it's really cold outside......but he's LOUD as f.

And b/c it's really cold and still in the night, it really loud when he does his "whooooooo, who who whooo" And when he does it, EVERY dog in the neighborhood goes CRAZY barking.

I haven't seen what he looks like but he sounds huge.

That's not an owl. You're visited.

http://alienabductionhelp.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=168

Last edited: