There hasnt been a better time to be a kid gamer.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Nah, the AAA obsession now is really different from what 90s babies like me had. Remember all those AA and B tier games for Playstation and N64? Now it's either indies (which I still love, but there's so many it's hard to tell what is quality and what isn't) or a handful of AAAs per year which are safe as hell due to dev and marketing costs

I miss the jank and risk-taking of yesteryear :mjcry:
The AAA games in every category except fps were better, because they could take more risks
Nintendo shyt has kept the same quality
But look at the fall off of JRPGs and the Final Fantasy series specifically

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gaming is in the same state as music now but worse.

As a Kid growing up in the 80's seeing the leap from nintendo to sega and super nintendo then the rugged and crazy times at the arcades to the 64 and playstation and sega saturn...to the dreamcast then ps2 and xbox to the ps3 and 360 and VR.

Its nuts, if you are a 80 baby you had peak gaming experiences.

As kid in the 90's getting a game was a pure leap of faith and if you liked it was squarely based on your opinions and thoughts not years or months of pre hype or video sneak peaks or people telling you to be on the look out for the amazing game coming. Most time you picked up a game because of word of mouth, the arcade ver or a demo disk or station in a store.

Now if a B tier game drops before release it's reviews are up and all over the internet with a score of a 7, the games flaws are headliners and before you can even play the game for yourself you have preconceived notions of the game.

Now as far as being 10-17 and just having access to play games yeah its nuts. But there is something different.... I wouldn't trade places with kid now that for sure. The 90's-0000 were the GOAT gaming experience years.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
i dont think there's been a bigger leap than VR.

How so, VR still isn't real yet, until you can load into the game and move the character with your mind, it's not VR, you can't interact with the environments, you can run jump etc and feel it your physically doing it, it's not VR, it's just first person mode where you can move the camera with your head, that's it

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
We had Blockbuster and late fees. Kids today have Gamepass and PSNow at the cost of a monthly fee that would only give us two games for five days. :wow: Wouldn't trade it, though. Nothing beat the feeling of walking into a Blockbuster at 7 - 14 years old on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon. Grabbing the game you wanted, moms asking if you wanted candy at the checkout, and then deciding she wanted to pick up pizza on the way home.

:mjcry:

It was the little things.
:skip: My mom ain't do none of that shyt.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Gaming is in the same state as music now but worse.

As a Kid growing up in the 80's seeing the leap from nintendo to sega and super nintendo then the rugged and crazy times at the arcades to the 64 and playstation and sega saturn...to the dreamcast then ps2 and xbox to the ps3 and 360 and VR.

Its nuts, if you are a 80 baby you had peak gaming experiences.

As kid in the 90's getting a game was a pure leap of faith and if you liked it was squarely based on your opinions and thoughts not years or months of pre hype or video sneak peaks or people telling you to be on the look out for the amazing game coming. Most time you picked up a game because of word of mouth, the arcade ver or a demo disk or station in a store.

Now if a B tier game drops before release it's reviews are up and all over the internet with a score of a 7, the games flaws are headliners and before you can even play the game for yourself you have preconceived notions of the game.

Now as far as being 10-17 and just having access to play games yeah its nuts. But there is something different.... I wouldn't trade places with kid now that for sure. The 90's-0000 were the GOAT gaming experience years.
That didn't just start, it's been going on for a while now. Before metacritic took completely took over people was using ign, gamepro, x-play, etc.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
All facts. My kids spoiled as fukk.

They don’t know nothing about picking the wrong game and still having to play that mufukka for months cause you ain’t getting a new game till next Christmas:mjcry:
You really feel they have it better than you did back then? I got so many great games installed on my PC and PS, but I can't settle on any one of them

I gotta play like 5 of them simultaneously and I just can't figure out which one I like best

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You really feel they have it better than you did back then? I got so many great games installed on my PC and PS, but I can't settle on any one of them

I gotta play like 5 of them simultaneously and I just can't figure out which one I like best
You playing decades worth of games and there’s only 5 of them.

Living through it gaming in between those games was wack. My kids got access to those games and more literally at their fingertips.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
You playing decades worth of games and there’s only 5 of them.

Living through it gaming in between those games was wack. My kids got access to those games and more literally at their fingertips.
Idk, maybe it's because I almost exclusively play 30 hour narrative driven games that I feel overwhelmed by my backlog. But you're right, for people who play multiplayer games and other more laid back games it must be a blessing to have something like a Game Pass you can just pick up and play with your friends :ehh:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
these kids definitely be spoiled. coming up we had one TV in the house, so you couldn't play video games whenever you wanted. I would have to play late at night, with the volume basically off. I actually learned a lot about audio cables rigging up some shyt to use my headphones. shout out to Radio Shack :salute:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Shout-out to Sony and Nintendo for not changing their ports and being able to use the same rfu adapters across multiple generations. :wow:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
back in my day we had to put the channel on 4 just to turn the damn system on!
What you know about your folks telling you the game gonna mess up the TV :laugh:

Handhelds at that time was like crack. When I got my DS I was like :wow:. shyt was basically a portable N64 to me. I think the DS Lite had to be my favorite handheld system(tied with the PSP) back in 2004~2007. I was a little older then but still young(high school.)