There are only 2 black owned grocery stores in the United States?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I can't believe this is true.

I went and did a search and found an article (from last year) saying there were only three: http://www.contracostatimes.com/con...a-residents-reflect-legacy-martin-luther-king

http://www.bbnomics.com/2015/06/only-2-black-owned-grocery-stores-left/

ONLY 2 BLACK OWNED GROCERY STORES LEFT

It turns out, in the US, we only have 2 grocery stores left. Count them 1…2… to feed 42 million of us! What a shame!

Study found that living in a poor, mostly black neighborhood presented “a double disadvantage” in grocery stores or supermarket access. Unsurprisingly, poor black neighborhoods had fewer supermarkets than wealthier black neighborhoods.

In addition, they also had fewer grocery stores or supermarkets than poor white neighborhoods, suggesting that race still played a role apart from poverty. In fact, the study showed that black neighborhoods with little poverty had fewer supermarkets, on average, than high-poverty white areas.

Calhoun Foods Grocery
204 W Lee Street in Tuskegee, AL
Phone: (334)-727-3410

Meet the Calhoun, owner of #CalhounFoods grocery chain in Alabama! 1 of very few #blackowned grocery stores left in the US. After calling several other (previously) black owned grocery stores it became apparent that many had to close due to competition. That said, we really have to make an effort to become loyal/repeat customers. Can you imagine how difficult it is to compete against your Pathmarks, Whole Foods, etc? If you’re in the area please visit their location!

Apples & Oranges Fresh Market
Fruit and Vegetable Store
Address: 1900 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21213
Phone:(410) 235-2900

Residents in east Baltimore were excited about the opening of a new grocery store in a community that’s been asking for one for a long time. Apples and Oranges Fresh Market is on North Broadway off North Avenue.

Not nearly enough attention has been paid to the damage that the continuing Great Recession has done to black Americans. It’s true that jobs and homes were lost across a wide expanse of ethnic and income groups. It’s true that white businesses as well as black-owned firms have failed. But African American communities were particularly vulnerable, and the downturn swept through them like an invading army, destroying wealth that had been painstakingly accumulated over decades and, in some cases, generations.

Last edited:

TheBeigeBomber

#Fukkery
Daps
smh. theres at least 10 in my city alone. and im not from london just another city in england.

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Thread is dumb as fukk so imma just leave this here

lisamorales.jpg