There are no TV shows for Blacks on TV...

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
besides reruns or niche reality tv shows on black/cable stations...other tv networks dont have shows dedicated to the positive enrichment of black folks...

and even if, there are black tv characters mixed in, there is some sly comment...or racist kkkrakkker editor, adding prejudiced commentary - yup even by such edits..

heck in addition an adult observations its affecting black kids...

Television for most of us means relaxing and being entertained. But have you ever wondered how the images you see, or lack thereof, affect you how you feel about yourself?

A new study about youth found that watching television lowers self-esteem in Black children and white girls. Ironically, white boys' self-esteem remained high.

The survey participants were made up of almost 400 boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 12; 59 percent were Black and the rest were white. Researchers from Indiana University tallied the time each child spent watching TV and compared it to the level of self-esteem each child possessed, which was determined by an 11-page questionnaire. ABCNews.com reported:

The study authors said that while white male TV characters tend to hold positions of power in prestigious occupations, have a lot of education and beautiful wives, the TV roles of girls and women tend to be less positive and more one-dimensional. Female characters are often sexualized, and success is often measured according to how they look.

Black men and boys are often criminalized on TV, the researchers said, which can affect their feelings of self-worth.

According to the study, self-esteem has significant behavioral and emotional ramifications, and it is often correlated with motivation, persistence and academic achievement, particularly among children.

Nicole Martins, an assistant professor and co-author of the report, told Psych Central, “If we think just about the sheer amount of time they’re spending, and not the messages, these kids are spending so much time with the media that they’re not given a chance to explore other things they’re good at, that could boost their self-esteem.”

And despite networks claiming they have been improving portrayals of people of color and women, this study shows it isn't enough and has consequences.

The findings are particularly important because Black youth watch a lot of TV. Last year, researchers from Northwestern University found that children of color spend more than half their day consuming media content — an average of 13 hours a day using mobile devices, computers, TVs and other media, which is about four-and-a-half hours more than white kids. The study also found that African-American teens are more likely to have a TV in their bedrooms (which can have a negative impact on sleep), and they are more likely to eat meals in front of the TV.

Watching TV Lowers Self-Esteem in Black Children | News | BET

concise

Veteran
Daps
I only watch sports and the occasional doc.
If I didn't, I wouldn't watch TV at all. It disturbs me.

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
Looking to black entertainment to enlighten our people is like the stupid broad continuing to go back to the boyfriend who beats her.

Apart from a few exceptions, entertainment has worked it's ass off to do the complete opposite for us. Because we don't own our entertainment...Jews and Cacs do.

We'll be better off complaining about the lack of conglomerates owned by us instead of complaining about them not giving us anything. We handle that 'small problem' and everything else falls into place.

SecretLover

iMAThugsDOLL ♥
Daps
Reppin
Pluto
Kevin Hart or Mike Epps need a show someone naturally funny :gag: at those BET/Tyler Perry sitcoms.

Boondocks all we got & they take forever.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:aicmon: What the fukk is Black Entertainment? Dont let the next man tell you what you should enjoy.

fukk that noise, do what you like. :manny:

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
I only watch sports and the occasional doc.
If I didn't, I wouldn't watch TV at all. It disturbs me.

This...

My co-workers always ask me if sports is the only type of TV that I watch.
I could never get into reality shows and the occasional black or minority shows have way too many cheesy cliches.

1970s HeRon Flow

Takin Penitentiary Chances
Daps
Reppin
Down Slauson Ave
Hopefully it gets them to stop watching TV as much :manny:
If it wasnt for sports or Boxing PPV's I'd have no need for a TV,when ever i have free time i watch a movie or doc on netflix :ehh:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
“Rich people have small TVs and big libraries, and poor people have small libraries and big TVs.”
― Zig Ziglar

Read a book. There is a lot of "black entertainment" in the pages.