There Are Fewer than 10 Black-Owned Grocery Stores in America

lib123

All Star
Daps
No organizations track the number, but sources familiar with the situation and some of the remaining grocers suggest that fewer than 10 Black-owned supermarkets remain across the entire country. And the number continues to shrink: In the past two years alone, Sterling Farms in New Orleans, Apples and Oranges in Baltimore, and several branches of Calhoun’s in Alabama have all gone out of business.

In Chicago, food activist Sheelah Muhammad’s father ran a Nation of Islam grocery store that opened in the mid-20th century and partnered with Black producers to set up businesses to supply its food. But, she says, that fell apart in the century’s final decades as society integrated and people gravitated toward large, white-owned chains in a way that earlier generations didn’t.

Why Are There So Few Black-Owned Grocery Stores? | Civil Eats

:snoop:

Edit: It appears that the article is talking about full-scale supermarkets, not smaller grocery stores.

Last edited:

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
"At a now-closed Jewel Osco location on Chicago’s south side, Dara Cooper, co-director of the National Black Food and Justice Alliance, says she used to find rotting vegetables, old fruit, and green meat, whereas Jewel’s stores in more affluent white neighborhoods stock better produce and meats."

I work on 43rd in the Bridgeport area, and I specifically shop in this area after work for this exact reason. Go to Walmart on the far south side on 111th pullman area and them fruits and veggies be looking like they come in the damn store already rotten and beat the fukk up

Daps
"At a now-closed Jewel Osco location on Chicago’s south side, Dara Cooper, co-director of the National Black Food and Justice Alliance, says she used to find rotting vegetables, old fruit, and green meat, whereas Jewel’s stores in more affluent white neighborhoods stock better produce and meats."

I work on 43rd in the Bridgeport area, and I specifically shop in this area after work for this exact reason. Go to Walmart on the far south side on 111th pullman area and them fruits and veggies be looking like they come in the damn store already rotten and beat the fukk up

Yep. They send the refuse and trash to stores in our communities. I got smart a few years back and started driving an extra 15 min to shop at the Walmart in the white area instead of the one in the black area because the one in the white area has fresher and better food :beli:

Icantspell

#freedaguys
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO FOREVER
This reminds me .......I remember there was a big campaign for people to donate to a guy building one...it was on the Shaderoom and all that he was looking to build the biggest black owned grocery store and mad people donated. Does anyone know what happened if it was ever built?
nah

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps

This is true. Even the marianos in bronzeville is ass.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Yep. They send the refuse and trash to stores in our communities. I got smart a few years back and started driving an extra 15 min to shop at the Walmart in the white area instead of the one in the black area because the one in the white area has fresher and better food :beli:
It's always been that way. Until folks start complaining more, it will continue.

Walmart's produce is trash anyway, even the ripe selection.