Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Are we sure those were slaves and not just the people they conquered?

Likely slaves since they were found within the Sokoto Caliphate performing uncompensated labour like plantation farming, apparently.

However, I posit that a number of their slaves were from recently subjugated territories in Yorubaland, Nupeland and areas of the Jos Plateau which resisted conquest - but was still a source of slaves.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
European sources should be taken with a huge grain of salt.. Especially the British. They weren't exactly the most neutral observers.

They tend to exaggerate the Muslim slave trade to minimize their own.

I find it hard to believe that the West African slave trade was anywhere near as extreme as they claim. The East African slave trade we can all agree was almost on an industrial scale. In West Africa, I would imagine it was more "traditional", i.e. most slaves would have been captives of war from hostile tribes, which means there were probably muslim slaves as well.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
European sources should be taken with a huge grain of salt.. Especially the British. They weren't exactly the most neutral observers.

They tend to exaggerate the Muslim slave trade to minimize their own.

I find it hard to believe that the West African slave trade was anywhere near as extreme as they claim. The East African slave trade we can all agree was almost on an industrial scale. In West Africa, I would imagine it was more "traditional", i.e. most slaves would have been captives of war from hostile tribes, which means there were probably muslim slaves as well.

DING! DING! DING!!!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I meant. What I notice about the Islamic Slave trade in that while it was brutal and disgusting it has been used as a tool for people with agendas. Whites trying to ease their guilt and blacks who are anti-Islamic.

No way was the West African slave trade that large. Especially NOT larger East African coast as you said.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
DING! DING! DING!!!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I meant. What I notice about the Islamic Slave trade in that while it was brutal and disgusting it has been used as a tool for people with agendas. Whites trying to ease their guilt and blacks who are anti-Islamic.

No way was the West African slave trade that large. Especially NOT larger East African coast as you said.

We'll never truly know