The Walking Qur'an of West Africa

Karb

Veteran
Daps
The Walking Qur’an of West Africa: Scholarship, Liberty & the Abolition of Slavery

History shapes the present and influences the future, but what if that history was turned on its head? What if we were to learn that African Muslims in the 18th century were pioneers in abolishing slavery and monarchy? Or that the intellectual tradition in West Africa has a chain of authenticity actually more faithful to the practice of early Islam than some of its Middle Eastern counterparts often deemed more authoritative? Or that the flourishing of Islam throughout sub-Saharan Africa was predicated more on the personal piety and pacifism of "walking Qur'ans" than political state power?

In this episode, Dr. Rudolph Ware, professor at the University of Michigan and author of the book, "The Walking Qur'an", discusses a history of Islam and Africa that hasn't been taught in the history books — or our religious communities. These insights revolutionize our concepts of self and play a crucial role in the spiritual and social world-view and approach for Muslims of all backgrounds, in America and beyond.

Ep. 9: Walking Qur'ans of Africa: Scholarship, Liberty & the Abolition of Slavery - Dr. Rudolph Ware

The Walking Qur’an of West Africa: Scholarship, Liberty & the Abolition of Slavery | ImanWire

Karb

Veteran
Daps
I haven't listened to it yet, but have been interested in the professor's book for some time. Hopefully I'll get around to reading it sometime soon.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
The level of Islamic scholarship in West Africa, historically speaking, is quite astonishing to be honest.

Read about guys like Sheikh Uthman Dan Fodio, a renowned Fulani scholar from the 18th century.

Most Muslims, including us African Muslims, are extremely ignorant of this history. West African scholars are actual heavy weights in several sciences :ohhh:

Dan Fodio had mastered not just one, but several of the Sunni Madhabs (legal schools of thought) as well as Quran and the science of Hadith. He was also a spiritual guide in the Sufi Qadiri tareeqah. I don't think you guys understand how rare and extremely difficult that is.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Interesting podcast. BUT

Although the growth of Islam in West Africa was largely not driven by war, those circumstances changed through the Fulani jihads of the 18th and 19th centuries. In addition, the Sokoto Caliphate (a product of the Fulani jihads - Usman dan Fodio) was one of the largest slave-holding societies in the world when it was finally conquered by the British in 1903 and although it had been founded by a cleric who opposed the enslavement of Muslims, millions of non-Muslims across Western and Central Nigeria were enslaved by Sokoto Caliphate.
:yeshrug:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
The level of Islamic scholarship in West Africa, historically speaking, is quite astonishing to be honest.

Read about guys like Sheikh Uthman Dan Fodio, a renowned Fulani scholar from the 18th century.

Most Muslims, including us African Muslims, are extremely ignorant of this history. West African scholars are actual heavy weights in several sciences :ohhh:

Dan Fodio had mastered not just one, but several of the Sunni Madhabs (legal schools of thought) as well as Quran and the science of Hadith. He was also a spiritual guide in the Sufi Qadiri tareeqah. I don't think you guys understand how rare and extremely difficult that is.
Breh you're just touch the TIP repeat TIP of the iceberg. Give this thread a look through.
Lets Talk African History:"Sahel" West African Civilizations

Muslim West Africans always been intellectual powerhouse WAAAAAAAAAAY before the 18th century. I would say since the foundation of Timbuktu 11th century AD. Its always been culturally like that and its still felt today but sadly West Africa fell off. What if I told you that West African Muslims had vaccines for smallpox well before the Europeans? Would you believe me?

I think only Baghdad rivaled Muslim West Africa in the libraries/universities they had at the time.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Interesting podcast. BUT

Although the growth of Islam in West Africa was largely not driven by war, those circumstances changed through the Fulani jihads of the 18th and 19th centuries. In addition, the Sokoto Caliphate (a product of the Fulani jihads - Usman dan Fodio) was one of the largest slave-holding societies in the world when it was finally conquered by the British in 1903 and although it had been founded by a cleric who opposed the enslavement of Muslims, millions of non-Muslims across Western and Central Nigeria were enslaved by Sokoto Caliphate.
Not trying to cape. But I highly doubt the Sokoto Caliphate was the largest slave holding society in the world. That seems like bit of a stretch. I even doubt so in Africa. Especially with kingdoms/empires who's economies were solely based on slave trading like Kanem-Borno, Dahomey, the Ashenti, Kongo Kingdom, Zanzibar and others.

But either way the Fulani people were always an aggressive pastoralist people. Like the Tuaregs. Muslim West Africans like the Mandinka were more liberal from what I read.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Not trying to cape. But I highly doubt the Sokoto Caliphate was the largest slave holding society in the world. That seems like bit of a stretch. I even doubt so in Africa. Especially with kingdoms/empires who's economies were solely based on slave trading like Kanem-Borno, Dahomey, the Ashenti, Kongo Kingdom, Zanzibar and others.

But either way the Fulani people were always an aggressive pastoralist people. Like the Tuaregs. Muslim West Africans like the Mandinka were more liberal from what I read.

I never claimed that it was the largest. Just one of the largest before their rule was extinguished by the British in 1903.
They apparently had more than 2.5 million people enslaved in their caliphate at that time.