The Upper Middle Class Is Ruining America: And I want it to stop

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
"What can we do to break the stranglehold of the upper middle class? I have no idea. Having spent so much time around upper-middle-class Americans, and having entered their ranks in my own ambivalent way, I’ve come to understand their power. The upper middle class controls the media we consume. They run our big bureaucracies, our universities, and our hospitals. Their voices drown out those of other people at almost every turn. I fear that the only way we can check the tendency of upper-middle-class people to look out for their own interests at the expense of others is to make them feel at least a little guilty about it. It’s not much, but it’s a start."

:heh: Seems like a deflection by the executive editor of national review. The real problem isn't the 1%, it's the upper middle class "liberals" who "run universities". Right. They wield the most power collectively. Not those poor Koch's who everyone has been lambasting. Look away from them.
Honestly, I posted this article because it has been very popular this week and yet no one on here posted it. The guy's point is simple, a lot of liberal policies are contingent on a coalition involving the upper middle class and the extent to which the are only liberal until it hits their doorstep is a barrier. This guy is not a liberal, but his point is simply this--gentrification, overqualifications or certain professions, etc., all occur with the tacit endorsement of a predominantly white upper middle class. "White flight" was not a myth. It's worth a discussion, and very few people who are retweeting this article agree with him politically on tax policy, etc.

I expected people to have a lot more personal anecdotes and I thought it'd be an interesting topic in HL for once aside from "OMG this religious guy said this, OMG this stupid conservative politician said this, OMG Putin lost, OMG what would life be like for black people if Hitler won and then made everyone convert to Sufism." shyt is stale. :manny:

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
I expected people to have a lot more personal anecdotes and I thought it'd be an interesting topic in HL for once aside from "OMG this religious guy said this, OMG this stupid conservative politician said this, OMG Putin lost, OMG what would life be like for black people if Hitler won and then made everyone convert to Sufism." shyt is stale.
THE ANGLOSPHERE HAS BEEN TRAINED TO IGNORE CLASS IN FAVOR OF OTHER FORMS OF TRIBALISM, BROTHER!

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The article is an interesting concept but amid news of the Koch's extremely limited group plotting to campaign contributions that eclipse even the RNC, I think it's a tough sell to tell me that the ultra rich aren't the ones having the biggest impact on political motives in Washington.

Also, he seems to paint the upper middle class as more liberal than conservative (at least how I read it) when in my own experience 90% of the upper middle class people I've known are decidedly conservative. That's really nothing to do with the overall though, just something that threw me off a bit.