The Trip-Hop Thread

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
let me help yall out. hard for me believe i first heard he word "trip hop" 17 years ago, got me feeling old.

anyway, this is the stuff i started off with on vynil, im also gonna upload a dj mix i did for a college radio show last august (vynil only).

the problem i encountered when i got into this stuff in high school...is that nobody else cared to hear it, it was when i noticed that there was a rift between myself and everyone else in terms music. not that i was special, but my tastes were being characterized by record shops and import catelogues.

also, i am devastated that mo' wax no longer exists theyre catelogue was incredible.

quick story, i recently sent some stuff over to ninjatune productionwise and i was told that if it was the early 2000's id have gotten an album deal, but my stuff is too "loopy" and "underproduced" had me feelin sad as hell. ima keep tryin though, ill find a label someday.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vjqjy96bxzlm2cc
tracklist

Dj krush-Intro
Portishead-Cowboys
Mos Def- the future
DJ Krush-Jikan no Hashi
Madlib-for my mans
MF DOOM-Absolutely
DJ Cam/DJ Krush-Le Temps
Madlib-andrew hill break
DJ Shadow- meiso (rmx) feat the roots
Madlib- Comeup
Steve Spacek- Dollar
Dj Krush- real feat tragedy khadafi
dj krush-duality

DJ Cam- no competition

[YOUTUBE]MSZHcdG5s3Y[/YOUTUBE]

DJ Krush Crimson

[YOUTUBE]GtimGytVuF0[/YOUTUBE]

Attica Blues-Abstract original

[YOUTUBE]VRSo4RmSvms[/YOUTUBE]

troublemakers-awake

[YOUTUBE]t9Rfw79yF6M[/YOUTUBE]

troublemakers- everyday is an extension of yesterday

[YOUTUBE]0WwnQwI4WIs[/YOUTUBE]

that last song by troublemakers i listened to for nearly 9 hours straight on a drive home, i was so frustrated and depressed i was going off the deep end. it was the worst drive i ever had after a horrible experience, its one of the few moments where i could say a song conveyed how i felt. anger, frustration and despair.

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
The cinematic orchestra = DOPE as well as El michaels affair

Cinematic Orchestra is pretty fly.

I listen to the DJ Shadow station on last.fm all of the time. You get guys like DJ Cam, Nightmares on Wax, Thievery Corporation.

Blockhead's first album was one of my favorites.

[YOUTUBE]qKBR8S7RCwA[/YOUTUBE]

Also stumbled upon Berry Weight last year sometime. Amazing album as a whole.

[YOUTUBE]ElRiSLDj7nQ[/YOUTUBE]

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Happy someone mentioned DJ Krush and Cinematic Orchestra in this thread.

I never listened to stuff that would be directly classified as "trip hop", but I def. like some stuff that trip hop fans would appreciate:
The Black Dog (Spanners and their Peel Sessions)

the Autechre albums "Incunabula", "Amber", and their first "Peel Session" (any other Autechre records will be *way* different, fair warning)

the Arovane album "Tides" (this record is damn near perfect in every way, good stuff to put on when women are around...)

Boards of Canada

There's a ton of stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting, I'll post more when I can think of it.

Roger Sterling

Senior Alias
Daps
^ Tried to get into that Autechre stuff. Couldn't do it.

-edit. Having said that, this "Incubula - Doctrine" stuff has helped me greatly along my way while drinking.

I'd rep if I could!

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hehe yeah, gotta be real specific on what Autechre album you're checking. Everything I listed was their earliest stuff, they got *very* experimental after that. I stopped caring about material they did after 2000.