The Theory of Everything

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I went in expecting a over-sentimental, romanticized biopic about the famed physicist Stephen Hawkins. But it was raw, funny, poignant, and touching. They didn't pull any punches about the flaws of his marriage and personal struggles. And the acting was :banderas:. If Redmayne doesn't get nominated for Best Actor I will be shocked. Dude literally transformed himself and disappeared completely in this role. The director is crafty too. The way the last 10 minutes was shot was a brilliant tribute to Hawking's life.

5 out 5 stars. I think this will rearrange my top 5 list for the year.

Dragonfly Jones

Siiiiiiiilence Punk!!
Daps
Reppin
KungFu Fighting & kicks that are fast as Lightning
Is this ur typical cac romantic/comedy/drama bullshyt or does this do something different and unique ala "Mr Nobody"/" Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind"?

dragonfly-jones-kicks-o.gif

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Redmayne has been one of my favorite actors on the come up since I saw him a few years ago in a very slept on picture called Black Death (you all should pick it up ASAP)...ever since then, I've enjoyed his performances in almost everything. Dude has serious talent. I haven't seen this yet, but I'm going this weekend to the indie theater to check it out.

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
I went in expecting a over-sentimental, romanticized biopic about the famed physicist Stephen Hawkins. But it was raw, funny, poignant, and touching. They didn't pull any punches about the flaws of his marriage and personal struggles. And the acting was :banderas:. If Redmayne doesn't get nominated for Best Actor I will be shocked. Dude literally transformed himself and disappeared completely in this role. The director is crafty too. The way the last 10 minutes was shot was a brilliant tribute to Hawking's life.

5 out 5 stars. I think this will rearrange my top 5 list for the year.

Thats exactly what it was. Over-sentimental and romanticized.

What didn't you like about it?

Where to start.

First I will say, although my review will be highly critical, I dont think the film was THAT bad. Based on like an IMDB scale...I would give it like a 6.3. Do I think it should be nominated for any awards? Maybe for cinematography...or sound. Thats about it.

Stephen Hawking is a world renowned cosmologist and astrophysicist. The movie did a very poor job of explaining how that translated to the levels of fame he achieved. I know you dont wanna get TOO technical with that kinda stuff cause the masses are dumb...but you at least have to explain it as a function of the movie because his rise to stardom is essential to the plot. I dont think the movie truly conveyed how groundbreaking his work has been to the science community. I like to walk away from movies about people like this feeling like I learned something. Only thing I learned is that Stephen Hawking is supposed to have a british accent. The intellectualism shown in the film was pandered to 2nd graders.

I couldnt stand the fact that they tried to make Jane out as some kinda hero, nor the fact that they kept injecting God into the movie every 15 minutes. Hawkings work had little, if anything, to do with God yet I felt like I was watching a religious movie.

The acting was good, but lets be real. 90% of acting like stephen hawking involes you sitting in a wheelchair with your head cocked to the side. then you make some retarded smile while your eyes look up at the person talking to you. seems like that was the only thing dude did for the last 30 minutes of the movie.

Anyone who thinks Stephen Hawking is the father to that youngest baby is a fool. Dude is effectively paralyzed from the neck down. Jane been in love with another man for years, while she sees him all the time and they go on vacations together n shyt. Yet we're supposed to believe they're not having sex because they're Christians...and she's only having sex with her husband who cant move any part of his body besides his finger. :camby:

If you're into romance movies that are geared towards women then you'll probably enjoy this movie, though.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Thats exactly what it was. Over-sentimental and romanticized.

Where to start.

First I will say, although my review will be highly critical, I dont think the film was THAT bad. Based on like an IMDB scale...I would give it like a 6.3. Do I think it should be nominated for any awards? Maybe for cinematography...or sound. Thats about it.

Stephen Hawking is a world renowned cosmologist and astrophysicist. The movie did a very poor job of explaining how that translated to the levels of fame he achieved. I know you dont wanna get TOO technical with that kinda stuff cause the masses are dumb...but you at least have to explain it as a function of the movie because his rise to stardom is essential to the plot. I dont think the movie truly conveyed how groundbreaking his work has been to the science community. I like to walk away from movies about people like this feeling like I learned something. Only thing I learned is that Stephen Hawking is supposed to have a british accent. The intellectualism shown in the film was pandered to 2nd graders.

I couldnt stand the fact that they tried to make Jane out as some kinda hero, nor the fact that they kept injecting God into the movie every 15 minutes. Hawkings work had little, if anything, to do with God yet I felt like I was watching a religious movie.

The acting was good, but lets be real. 90% of acting like stephen hawking involes you sitting in a wheelchair with your head cocked to the side. then you make some retarded smile while your eyes look up at the person talking to you. seems like that was the only thing dude did for the last 30 minutes of the movie.

Anyone who thinks Stephen Hawking is the father to that youngest baby is a fool. Dude is effectively paralyzed from the neck down. Jane been in love with another man for years, while she sees him all the time and they go on vacations together n shyt. Yet we're supposed to believe they're not having sex because they're Christians...and she's only having sex with her husband who cant move any part of his body besides his finger. :camby:

If you're into romance movies that are geared towards women then you'll probably enjoy this movie, though.

Couldn't disagree more. They made Jane look naive, conflicted, and very flawed. I don't generally like romantic flicks, but I enjoyed this one. I don't think most people care about astrophysics. That fact that you seem to privilege scientific knowledge over other types of knowledge and call people who don't like or get science "dumb" tells me all I need to know about your perspective. I've taught brilliant math and science kids who can't write a coherent essay to save their lives. There are different types of intelligence, and someone's knowledge and appreciation for physics doesn't make them better or worse than others. Hawking's story transcends his subject matter, and this movie conveyed that perfectly....especially for those of us who aren't interested in his subject matter.

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
That fact that you seem to privilege scientific knowledge over other types of knowledge and call people who don't like or get science "dumb" tells me all I need to know about your perspective. I've taught brilliant math and science kids who can't write a coherent essay to save their lives. There are different types of intelligence, and someone's knowledge and appreciation for physics doesn't make them better or worse than others

I do favor intelligence in science and math has a "smarter" type of intelligence than someone who can write a good essay. But thats not really what I was getting at. When I called the masses dumb I was referring to the fact that Hollywood is so afraid of over-intellectualizing a movie, that they will simplify a script to ensure it can be related to a greater audience. So my criticism is really with Hollywood. I dont think the masses are dumb, but I think Hollywood treats us like we're dumb.

Hawking's story transcends his subject matter, and this movie conveyed that perfectly....especially for those of us who aren't interested in his subject matter.

Whether or not you are interested in the subject matter I think his work is essential to his life story. He's brilliant and he's famous. People also think he has a God-like complex, and he's an a$$hole. So that kinda ties into the type of relationships he had with his wives...at least thats what Jane said in her book.

I'll use A Beautiful Mind as an example. John Nash's personal story also transcended his work. That movie was also built around his relationship with his wife. Yet they actually showed how brilliant he was, without the film coming off as a math lesson. A similar, but much better movie.