The Surge - Sci Fi Souls- May 16th - PS4,XB1,PC

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh and I still don't understand the story. From what I understand, dude agreed to work for a mega Corp, they messed up and didn't put him to sleep during the procedure, after the procedure they deemed him defective so they try to toss him to the bushes, he wakes up to fight his way out of the mega corp. Is that correct?

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
ACG - Wait For Sale

This is a 'Wait for Sale'. I liked a lot of this game, a ton of it, but the repetitive just overall look as well as the way, even though the enemies were very fun to fight, the fact that it was the same-y feeling of fighting those enemies over a long period of time just the way was designed, sort of hit and miss for me.

SelectButton - 9/10
The Surge is without a doubt one of the best Souls-like titles to be released. Decker 13 has certainly proven that they have listened to the feedback from their previous game, and has crafted an epic sci-fi action RPG. While boss encounters are vastly unique, the journey to their location is the highlight in The Surge. Even so, The Surge still puts up quite a challenge, but rewards players that equip gear and implants that match their play style.

Polygon - 8/10
The Surge successfully builds on its inspirations and finds its own voice. Still, the frustrating boss fights and the mediocre plot are blemishes on what is, by and large, a much better game than I ever would have expected. When I reviewed Lords of the Fallen in 2014, I said it was "a surprising show of skill and hopefully a sign of much brighter things to come." By building on its more obvious inspirations with a more unique vision, Deck13 has fulfilled even more of that initial promise with The Surge.

Gamereactor - 8/10
While it proudly wears its influences on its sleeve, this strictly single-player affair manages to break free from the shackles of being just another Souls-like video game. The body harvesting looting mechanic and chilling setting of a machine-dominated dystopian future help it to hold its own, and its relentless difficulty even rivals that of its greatest influence. A few of its mechanics do admittedly feel clunky and the difficulty is quick to skyrocket, but if you're after a solid action RPG to help you pull through the untimely demise of the Souls series, you should look no further than The Surge.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10
Bugs and a weak narrative aside, The Surge is a much more confident take on the emerging Soul-like gameplay style. It takes the known tropes of being challenging and having progression dependent on learning attack patterns while adjusting your play style to accommodate, but it also has some fresh ideas that not only make perfect sense, but could shape future games. It’s nice to see a developer give a gameplay style a second shot and Deck13 have almost nailed it here.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4/5
The Surge's unique spin on combat and customization coupled with some tried and true gameplay mechanics from the Souls series coalesce nicely for what feels like a familiar experience in an entirely new setting.

IGN - 7.9/10
The Surge makes good use of its detailed sci-fi setting and provides an engaging experience throughout the 30 to 40-hour campaign, mostly thanks to its widely customizable inventory and wickedly fun combat system. It may struggle to keep the action moving and tell a strong story amid the chaos of battle, and its weapon progression plateaued early, but it offers some interesting ideas and delivers a solid new take on a familiar genre.

Game Informer - 7/10
Deck13 infused a number of excellent ideas into The Surge, but repetition ends up being more of a killer than an enraged robot roaming CREO. The need to farm experience is taxing at times, but thankfully combat remains entertaining, even if it is against the same foes. Battle-hardened Souls players should give it a look for the innovative contributions to the genre (namely the way weapons and armors are obtained), but this isn’t a science-fiction universe rich in lore or setting.

CGMag - 7/10
The Surge is an admirable riff on the Souls formula, with its novel setting and new mechanics making its mechanical and narrative blemishes easier to swallow.

We Got This Covered - 7/10
It’s very tough trying to imitate something as seminal, as influential and as exceptional as its crystal-clear inspiration. A lack of compelling boss encounters, some ropey animations and some underwhelming level-design hold it back, but as a whole, it’s a fine addition to the Souls’ sub-genre that nails the majority of the core tenets set forth by what’s come before it. Ultimately, it’s by no means a counterfeit, but it’s not the genuine article, either.

God Is A Geek - 7/10
My time with The Surge was filled with mixed feelings, but the positives do outweigh the negatives. Despite the combat issues and awkward (mostly absent) direction, I had fun exploring the dystopian future of Deck13’s world, battling its bloody violent denizens, and meeting its various survivors. It’s not going to win any awards, but it’s got a certain dark charm that Souls fans might just enjoy.

USGamer - 7/10
The Surge gives a lousy first impression with it bland sci-fi setting and grab bag of obvious influences. Given time, though, there’s an unrefined gem in here for those willing to put up with its quirks. If this is Deck 13’s next step to building something truly great, it’s solid, if flawed one.

Metro - 7/10
An even better Dark Souls clone than Lords Of The Fallen, but there are too few unique ideas and the difficulty often undermines the rest of the gameplay. Combat is almost as good as Dark Souls, as is the level design. Targeting limbs to gain new armour is a great idea, that makes every fight a series of difficult decisions. The amount of déjà vu is at near toxic levels if you’re a Dark Souls veteran. The overly strong enemies unbalance the exploration element. Dull story and locations.

Push Square - 5/10
The Surge had potential, but its excellent combat systems are baked into a game that can’t do them justice. The repetitive and drab environments are a huge hindrance, and when combined with a confusing network of corridors, hallways, and ledges, it’s easy to become frustrated, misled, and lost. You may find some fun experimenting with your attack options and the smooth framerate on the PS4 Pro does help to make that a better experience, but expecting anything more than that will only set yourself up for disappointment.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
I've played about an hour so far and I must say the combat and lock on mechanics were easier to get into than expected. I spent that hour grinding the first 5 guys you fight to craft the full rhino set and get my rig to level 16. :pacspit:breh that comes charging at you after you open the second door.

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
About 4 hours in and got the dual claw things. I'm quick af and ain't shyt touching me right now. I'm enjoying it alot. My only problem is that the first boss was a lil too easy

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
This is made by a Western developer idiot.

You and the guy who dapped you are fukking idiots, and I hope your future daughter gets gang raped by thugs.

Dark Souls was made by a Japanese developer.

"Lots of Dark Souls clones"

Meaning all of these clones (whether they're made by Americans or Martians) are attributed to a Japanese developer.

Hence, "Japan innovates again"

You god damn dumb mother fukker.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Game looks corny and bland to me.
Corny? Nah, far from it.

Bland? Probably in comparison to DS3 or Bloodborne if you've played those before.

I'm enjoying it and apparently so did everyone that's reviewed it so far. It's only getting pinged on not being as diverse with the enemies and environments from what I see.