The Root: What books are you reading right now?

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Finishing up The Things They Carrier by Tim O’Brien.

About the mental side of war and how some people process it. Based off Vietnam. Not bad, but would not recommend.

I get the whole dissociation from trauma or foul shyt you’ve been a part of. But I feel like, if you don’t also acknowledge how you had your hand or collaborated in it…it’s absolution. Not that that’s what the author was seeking, he was just describing how it felt. But that’s what I take from it. Insidiously a dangerous mindset.

Edit: not even sure if this even really correlates (and I haven’t watched the movie), but lol, as an example…almost feels like “it was a different time back then”

Last edited:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Finished The African Samurai by Craig Shreve, really good novel. The known factual parts and unknown parts of ‘Yasuke’’s life will allow for a really strong narrative to be crafted around him. Hope the production of the series doesn’t fall short of the book.

I wonder if the level of respect and, I guess, empathy of Oda Nobunaga, the Japan warlord, showed is true to life. Oda’s life and character is interesting in itself, will look up if there’s any decent novels on him.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished The African Samurai by Craig Shreve, really good novel. The known factual parts and unknown parts of ‘Yasuke’’s life will allow for a really strong narrative to be crafted around him. Hope the production of the series doesn’t fall short of the book.

I wonder if the level of respect and, I guess, empathy of Oda Nobunaga, the Japan warlord, showed is true to life. Oda’s life and character is interesting in itself, will look up if there’s any decent novels on him.
Oda I think is on some so long as you do not get in his way he's cool with you but if you do he goes full :demonic:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

I like looking at Japan's take on other cultures.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
dUwGUrW.jpg

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Got this, eventually gonna get around to it.

The Warmth of Other Suns was really well done in terms of balancing narrative/with straight information….easy to read with tough parts to digest. Made me rethink migration…I knew it was a factor for immigration (country to country) but I never considered the self selecting aspect of Black Americans migrating from the south to rest of the country.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
Got this, eventually gonna get around to it.

The Warmth of Other Suns was really well done in terms of balancing narrative/with straight information….easy to read with tough parts to digest. Made me rethink migration…I knew it was a factor for immigration (country to country) but I never considered the self selecting aspect of Black Americans migrating from the south to rest of the country.

Caste has a similar premise…very much a nonfiction book made up of short interweaving real life stories that compares India’s caste system to the America racist infrastructure as well as Nazi Germany.

I remember seeing it on ‘Best of’ lists when it came out in 2020, but it really caught my attention when I learned Ava Duvernay is releasing a film adaptation called Origins later this year. The way the book jumps around in time, I’m curious as to how Ava will tell the story.