The rise of super fungus that’s quietly threatening the world

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
like agent smith from the matrix said'human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet'
mother nature just doing its job. we have violated her once too many.
nature takes care of its own and we are not part of nature , so eventually it'll get rid of us.
:manny:it is what it is

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Y’all sensationalize everything. Fungal infections generally are pretty hard to get for heathy human beings. If you do get this though it’s hard to treat. Most people aren’t affected by this. Lowered immune system people are at the greatest risk. Those with other infections, or sick people due to other diseases. The first two sentences in the article literally state this lol.

Fungal infections usually in people with weakened or nonexistent immune systems(HIV/AIDS patients, chemotherapy patients, transplant recipients or people undergoing surgery.) This isnt as bad as you guys think it is.

I think you're discounting how easily it seems to transfer and "colonize" entire rooms.

The man at Mount Sinai died after 90 days in the hospital, but C. auris did not. Tests showed it was everywhere in his room, so invasive that the hospital needed special cleaning equipment and had to rip out some of the ceiling and floor tiles to eradicate it.

Or that doctors and other health care workers are afraid to work with any one infected with it because they fear they'll transfer it and accidentally infect someone else, someone who might not be able to fight it off:

Workers who care for patients infected with C. auris worry for their own safety. Dr. Matthew McCarthy, who has treated several C. auris patients at Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York, described experiencing an unusual fear when treating a 30-year-old man.

“I found myself not wanting to touch the guy,” he said. “I didn’t want to take it from the guy and bring it to someone else.” He did his job and thoroughly examined the patient, but said, “There was an overwhelming feeling of being terrified of accidentally picking it up on a sock or tie or gown.”

When you have to basically destroy an entire room, literally floor to ceiling to eliminate a pathogen, and on top of that it's resistant to current anti-fungal medications, that seems like a big cause for concern.

BlackBall

Superstar
Daps
I think you're discounting how easily it seems to transfer and "colonize" entire rooms.

Or that doctors and other health care workers are afraid to work with any one infected with it because they fear they'll transfer it and accidentally infect someone else, someone who might not be able to fight it off:

When you have to basically destroy an entire room, literally floor to ceiling to eliminate a pathogen, and on top of that it's resistant to current anti-fungal medications, that seems like a big cause for concern.
That’s it breh it’s an evolving mess and windborne:sadcam:

yeyeye

All Star
Daps

Noone's saying its not a problem dog, just that it wont be a cause of an apocalypse like everyone in the thread is. It's hospital so it needs to be sterile

86\*/98

Chef Will Equilibrar Òkùnkùn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sparking blunts in the shade.
You live on planet earth dont you :gucci:

Over the past decade there have been several illnesses that have specifically targeted yt’s. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was one of them. I haven’t done a lick of research on this so of course I could be wrong, but still this sounds about white.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps

Well obviously. You sterilize any hospital room after it’s used. This is normal procedure, and fungus is everywhere. The same article could be written for MRSA, or any of the other “superbugs” healthcare workers deal with everyday. Secondly, once anything takes hold of an individual and makes them sick, you are allowing it a vessel where it can thrive and then become a risk to other healthy people. That’s true for any infection that’s hard to treat.

BlackBall

Superstar
Daps

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Well obviously. You sterilize any hospital room after it’s used. This is normal procedure, and fungus is everywhere. The same article could be written for MRSA, or any of the other “superbugs” healthcare workers deal with everyday. Secondly, once anything takes hold of an individual and makes them sick, you are allowing it a vessel where it can thrive and then become a risk to other healthy people. That’s true for any infection that’s hard to treat.

Does sterilizing a room for MRSA for example involve having to replace parts of the wall and ceiling in the room? I don’t work in the healthcare field, so maybe there’s something I’m missing :hubie:

I’m not saying it’s the apocalyptic superbug almost everyone in the thread is making it out to be, but it does seem like the sort of infection that should be a concern.