The Problem With DC's Heroes

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Vid is too biased, he goes on about how many of the directors don't "get" DC heroes, yet plenty of Marvel directors have admitted to not reading many comic books to begin with. Super heroes come with general outlines, like Batman's parents being killed, or Spiderman being a broke teen/adult from Queens. Keep in mind that they completely ruined Hulk and the OG tv series....so Marvel isn't without fault.DC was reigning with completely inaccurate versions of both Batman and Supes....

Its not that directors don't "get" it, Singer loves Superman, and he made what is probably the worst Superman film to date.Its that sometimes, the story used, the pacing, the producers, etc, get in the way of a really good film. Man of Steel is solid, its multi layered, deep and above all, real. Clark goes through every emotion in the book. From being a lonely, lost and confused child, to an adult alien who has to come to terms with being a beacon of hope for a people that might potentially shun him.

BVS was a hero marketing film, and that part about it was horrid, but the very real Superman moments were nice. Unfortunately, the studios were pushing too hard on the whole Justice League angle....and we lost what could've been a great story told through the lens of Superman.
Just curious, what Marvel Director admitted to not reading the source material?

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
My opinion:

We don't need an Aquaman, Cyborg or Flash movie.... complete waste of time. Flash already has a TV show and that shyt is so-so. I don't know anyone on earth that can say Aquaman or Black Terminator is their favorite superhero. It's just unnecessary. I don't see anyone leaving an Aquaman movie like "omfgz Aquaman is the shyt!"

They need to focus more on new and improved Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman films. They're the Mount Rushmore of this superhero shyt. There's so much source material to work with, especially Batman. Imagine having a solo Joker, Harley Quinn, Deathstroke, Red Hood, Nightwing, Batgirl movies. Teen Titans movie. A Batman movie with Court of Owls as the antagonists.

I'm very okay with Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash just being "Justice League" characters.... solo movies are unnecessary and a waste of time and money.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
So DC superheroes on screen are perceived as one or two dimensional while Marvel superheroes are full fledged living breathing characters
lol where are these living breathing marvel characters?

Spiderman, such a complex character study he climbs on walls, tells jokes AND his uncle died. Brilliant, he's flawed just like us...

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
Haven't looked at the vid yet, but DC's problem is that pretty much all of their main characters are the essential archetypes of comicbooks...the stale, boring template of American hero comics.

They god status and not really interesting..they popular by virtue of being the first. And if they change it up to a modern audience then the template breaks. Both companies have this problem tho, and both comic divisions are running on fumes.

Marvel one upped them with the I see dead people twist in the 60s and its been a wrap since then in the comics.

Now the problem is everyone on marvel nuts for changing the movie game on DC and we're seeing history replay itself there.

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
All I hear here are excuses. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with DC characters. There is no excuse for poor writing and poor creativity. For anyone who reads comics understands that a good writer would work the shyt out of a character regardless of which brand that character is under. People are always overthinking this shyt.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
DC's problem: They made movies people don't like at a time when another company made movies people like.

That's it. If Man Of Steel and BvS were better made films, even if they had the same general story, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Comment from the video:
My problem with the DCEU can basically be summed up as this;

Marvel focuses on the super hero -> i.e. the character is prioritized first, powers usually come second or even third. (This can also result in weak villains due to lack of focus on the plot and/or villain's character, but has not been a major issue so far for me.)

The DCEU (and some DC media/fanculture portrayals) focuses on the super hero -> i.e. the powers/icon/symbol comes first, the character beneath the powers becomes underdeveloped as a result of lack of focus.

I want to care about a DC Extended Universe, I really fukking do, but until they manage to surpass the animated shows from the 90s/early 00s that I watched growing up, I'm sticking close to the MCU. I've never been a fan of edgy, gritty, "realistic" and/or drably colored superhero flicks, and I'm not about to start now that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is going full-on Cosmic on me.

Call me back, when Batman gets to do some actual detective work/act like a human being with emotions beyond angst/learn how to neutralize threats without actually killing them, Superman isn't treated like a god-like figure (seriously, what is it with Americans and overdone Christian symbolism?), and the Green Lantern & Co. is actually portrayed well on film. I'll cheer along with the rest of you when DC finds their feet in live-action on the big screen. Until then, next season of Agents of SHIELD and the upcoming Black Panther movie looks great. :3

Edit.

Last edited:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nolans batman still shyts on anything disney will ever make though

A shytty fighter with a terrible modulated voice? The movies are great but really the villains carry them especially the last two.

You mean the batman that wasnt a great detective, not really all that great with the prep time, nonathletic terrible fighter with his slow ass strikes?

shyt Punisher singlehandly shyts on Nolan Batman who bytched up when he got stabbed wit a knife... unlike any other Ben Batman:mjlol:

Martha

I think he's talking about the quality of the films. Even with the bad action scenes and voice, the Dark Knight is STILL the Goat comic book movie imo. And this is coming from someone who loves the MCU way more than the DCEU. But no film from the MCU has topped the Dark Knight imo.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I think he's talking about the quality of the films. Even with the bad action scenes and voice, the Dark Knight is STILL the Goat comic book movie imo. And this is coming from someone who loves the MCU way more than the DCEU. But no film from the MCU has topped the Dark Knight imo.
Yeah, I agree with that, but to say 'ever make' is a bit presumptuous. Sounds more like a wish than a prediction.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

I didn’t think so but that was the case...... this topic and discussion was never about the films..... it’s clearly about the portrayal of the characters on film.

And I’m not sure how that got lost in translation

Martha

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
You can make a great movie out of any comic franchise. It's not the characters or the publisher. Youngbloods don't remember but OG Superman movies were huge at the time. People like me still love the original I still love the original 89 Batman. I think DC just wanted to jump on the Marvel movie train without taking the time to create a great product. They're even borrowing from the same business plan, individual flicks then the ensemble movie