The Origin of New Balance in Washington, DC [Documentary Short]

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
DC’s fashion scene has always stood out and IMO tried to distinguish itself from NYC.

Not many cities have had local, successful fashion brands that were pretty much exclusive to that region. DDTP, Vonteff, Madness, Solbiato, etc all thrived based on the popularity within a 50 mile radius.

Besides NBs, high top America’s Cup Pradas, Nike acg boots and foamposites also were popular in the area

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
DC’s fashion scene has always stood out and IMO tried to distinguish itself from NYC.

Not many cities have had local, successful fashion brands that were pretty much exclusive to that region. DDTP, Vonteff, Madness, Solbiato, etc all thrived based on the popularity within a 50 mile radius.

Besides NBs, high top America’s Cup Pradas, Nike acg boots and foamposites also were popular in the area
Good post, but I don't think it was a conscious effort to distinguish itself.

Every city and region has distinct style and culture. DC just never allowed trendy national styles to supplant what they do.
Agree with you about local designers being successful and staying in business based on area support.
The Bay Area's music scene was structured that way. Where locals support and buy content to the point that artists can support themselves just from regional fan base.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
New Balance been coming hard as shyt over the last couple years with so many fire releases and color ways. The 9060’s are crazy and probably the most comfortable sneaker I’ve ever owned. The 1906r & 2002r both have some nasty joints too. Obviously the 990’s are traditionally hard. Now that I live out here in Dallas I’m even starting to see these becoming more and more popular outside of DMV & Baltimore. The 9060’s are my absolute favorite sneaker right now.
Joe-Freshgoods-New-Balance-9060-Penny-Cookie-Pink-Release-Date.jpeg

Last edited:

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
all i know about new balance is that they were the brand cacs flocked to after they started burning their nikes over Kap

for that alone i wont rock them.. that and theyre ugly lmao

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
all i know about new balance is that they were the brand cacs flocked to after they started burning their nikes over Kap

for that alone i wont rock them.. that and theyre ugly lmao
I love the brand. Havent seen a brand at their lev pump out so many colorways. Legit can find kicks to match any outfits. Their SKUs must be off the charts. Unique look shoes and alot of basic styles. I used to hate them back in the day but they became my go to brand the older I get.