The Origin of New Balance in Washington, DC [Documentary Short]

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL

Thorough, short doc on DC's relationship with New Balance sneakers. I didn't know it was a thing until I moved to North Carolina for college in 2008 and saw the kids from DMV rockin em. Like the girl mentioned in the doc, to outsiders it's a "dad shoe". In Atlanta during the early-mid 2000s we were rockin Reeboks, Forces, Jordans etc

But I've seen New Balances grow in popularity in recent years

Last edited:

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
It's hard to know who were rocking New Balance first: Bmore or DC.. DC just like bragging, Baltimore dudes aren't as vocal about what they do. That's why they dont like DC at all. DC swear they started the Nike Boot trend too.

I moved to DC in 2004, the shoe game was superb up here. Pretty much fell off with Foamposites.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
It's hard to know who were rocking New Balance first: Bmore or DC.. DC just like bragging, Baltimore dudes aren't as vocal about what they do. That's why they dont like DC at all.

I moved to DC in 2004, the shoe game was superb up here. Pretty much fell off with Foamposites.
You still a tourist. DC was first. We were rocking them in the 80’s at gogo’s.

SoSoSlick

Still gettin it!
Daps
Reppin
PG County
It's hard to know who were rocking New Balance first: Bmore or DC.. DC just like bragging, Baltimore dudes aren't as vocal about what they do. That's why they dont like DC at all. DC swear they started the Nike Boot trend too.

Nah breh lol. Your history is way off.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Def popular here in Detroit. I only wear 1906r. Don't have to worry about that seude getting dirty

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I loved this lil documentary. What they said is very true, you don't realize New Balances were looked down upon until you left the area. Idc where I end up in life, I'm going to always be loyal to NB. You can take the girl out of DC but you can't take the DC out of the girl

:manny:

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I loved this lil documentary. What they said is very true, you don't realize New Balances were looked down upon until you left the area. Idc where I end up in life, I'm going to always be loyal to NB. You can take the girl out of DC but you can't take the DC out of the girl

:manny:

Also reinforces that the "real world" still matters. Even though the Internet connects us and exposes us to people, styles, things from everywhere, there's still value in connecting in the real world