The only game that stood up to GTA was True Crime. Don't @me

Daps
Sleeping Dogs isn't a reboot of True Crime. It was an unrelated game Activision wanted to use that franchise name for.
No this isn’t correct, as a fan of the series I was following the news at the time it was originally True Crime Hong Kong but the IP rights were purchased by Square so it essentially was a reboot. It offered the same good cop bad cop system that True Crime had, but a lot of the archaic mechanics of the original games were overhauled the UI was improved and it essentially looked like a new game but a lot of the core foundations exist.

GTA 3 and GTA 2 are radically different games because of their generation, but the foundations exist and they share the GTA IP name. The same is the case with True Crime and Sleeping Dogs the difference is that When True Crime became Sleeping Dogs they did not keep the IP name because the developer and publishers changed from Luxoflux and Activision to United Front and Square Enix. Who probably decided to modernise aspects of early 2000s gameplay to a more moder 2010s style of gameplay. But the Good Cop Bad Cop mechanic is a major indicator that it IS A REBOOT.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No this isn’t correct, as a fan of the series I was following the news at the time it was originally True Crime Hong Kong but the IP rights were purchased by Square so it essentially was a reboot. It offered the same good cop bad cop system that True Crime had, but a lot of the archaic mechanics of the original games were overhauled the UI was improved and it essentially looked like a new game but a lot of the core foundations exist.

GTA 3 and GTA 2 are radically different games because of their generation, but the foundations exist and they share the GTA IP name. The same is the case with True Crime and Sleeping Dogs the difference is that When True Crime became Sleeping Dogs they did not keep the IP name because the developer and publishers changed from Luxoflux and Activision to United Front and Square Enix. Who probably decided to modernise aspects of early 2000s gameplay to a more moder 2010s style of gameplay. But the Good Cop Bad Cop mechanic is a major indicator that it IS A REBOOT.
No it was a game being developed and Activision wanted to use that franchise name on it. The developers had nothing to do with True Crime. Activision saw similarities in the being an undercover cop so they were pushing that.

The original title of the game was Black Lotus. It wasn’t even conceived as a True Crime game.

Daps
No it was a game being developed and Activision wanted to use that franchise name on it. The developers had nothing to do with True Crime. Activision saw similarities in the being an undercover cop so they were pushing that.

The original title of the game was Black Lotus. It wasn’t even conceived as a True Crime game.
Was Sleeping Dogs Actually A True Crime Game Sequel?

Ok that’s interesting

But even if it started development as a different game Activision still attempted to make it a True Crime Hong Kong reboot because the similarities were clear. It’s like Doki Doki panic being turned into Super Mario Bros 2 US, is Super Mario 2 not part of the Mario IP?

It may be different from what was originally created but it still shares the same core of a Mario game running and jumping, sure Super Mario Bros 2 isn’t a reboot but that’s because the mechanics lasted for one game and didn’t carry onto the sequel.

Here is the key quote from the article above that supports my view “it was reworked to fit into the True Crime series, according to Gamasutra, with a male lead.”

Unless the original True Crime IP gets revived then I will consider it an entirely different franchise to sleeping dogs and sleeping dogs can no longer be thought of as a reboot.

If you think the term spiritual successor is more suited I’m ok with that but Sleeping Dogs was True Crime Hong Kong at one point.

Last edited:

Gee Mello

Pro
Daps
It’s 2021 and Sleeping dogs is still worthy of a play through, aged graphics and all because the gameplay is superior to half of these assassin’s creed games out now.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
The fact that Square never made SD a franchise shows how incompetent of a publisher they are
They permanently deaded that series to focus on fakkit ass white washed Final Fantasy :scust: