The one thing I don't get about marriage

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
is how people seem to have a desire to get married but its not because they met a person that makes them want marriage they want marriage for the sake of getting married and nothing more.

to me that seems backwards you should meet a person once you really know them you come to the conclusion that you want to get married because you want to spend the rest of your life with that person.

basically if you desire marriage without having even met a person that makes you feel that way you're setting yourself up for failure.

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
i'd marry thoushallhustle and ive never met her

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
is how people seem to have a desire to get married but its not because they met a person that makes them want marriage they want marriage for the sake of getting married and nothing more.

to me that seems backwards you should meet a person once you really know them you come to the conclusion that you want to get married because you want to spend the rest of your life with that person.

basically if you desire marriage without having even met a person that makes you feel that way you're setting yourself up for failure.

Plenty of people get married for the wrong reasons or before their ready, and it just leads to a divorce and/or a life of resentment towards the spouse

Daps
Reppin
NULL
True, its because society tells us marriage is what you're supposed to do. I think most people get married because they want to have their own kids.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
True, its because society tells us marriage is what you're supposed to do. I think most people get married because they want to have their own kids.

It's the difference between I got married because I met a person and decided I couldn't do without them and wanted to spend the rest of my life with them and I got married because I wanted to get married one day and this just so happened to be the person I got married to but if it wasn't them it would have been someone else. I was gonna do it regardless.

Emperor Sol

Knowledge and Wisdom
Daps
Reppin
CAN
i'd marry thoushallhustle and ive never met her

You'd marry a woman who whores her body out for thousands of unknown men on the internet? TSH is a good person, but I'd have a hard time seeing anyone wanting to marry her after the twerk video. Wanting to have sex with her, absolutely.. But marry her?

:rudy:

Objection

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
People don't want to be alone. Many people also have this fairy tale image of what marriage is. It sounds nice that you are with this person for life and you will share everything.

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
if people only got married for the reasons you think they should....then no one would ever get married.

and thats not even a bad thing.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
People don't want to be alone. Many people also have this fairy tale image of what marriage is. It sounds nice that you are with this person for life and you will share everything.
Very few people are alone as its put they have family and friends and so on. I've realized marriage is like college. Society programs people to want such experiences and people accept it without questioning it. Forcing yourself into marriage as an alternative to fear of being alone which is an unrealistic fear in the first place is just as absurd as desiring a life long commitment with what amounts to a mental silhouette in your mind.

this isn't even an anti-marriage rant as much as its the observation that peoples reasoning for wanting and getting married is at times paper thin for something that's supposed to be a lifelong commitment no wonder so many marriages fail.

Rosie

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They may as well have the number of a divorce lawyer handy....bytches just want a wedding fukked up in the head if you ask me.

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
I agree 100% with the threadstarter.

I'm currently going thru a divorce. Marriage tends to be one of those things on the "to do" list rather than a natural progression in a relationship. Bottomline is that a majority of people marry for the wrong reasons, including myself.

We get to an age when we decide that maybe we should get married, and then we marry the best qualified person who is there at the time. For example, you could have had the most perfect chick in your life when you were 21, but if you weren't ready to get married, you weren't married to her. And at the same instance, you could have a mediocre chick in your life when you're 33, but if you are at the point in your life where you want to get married, you will end up marrying her.

We have to break this cycle.

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

cosign, that and women feel pressure to get married because the stigma is that if a woman is 30 plus and never been married something is wrong with her