The Official Thread on Black Revolutionary and Critical Thought

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I feel it is a pretty good time to start a thread (hopefully it will get stickied) that allows a free-flowing discussion of Black revolutionary thought, events, organizations, and theory.

I'll post articles, videos, and discussion questions throughout - and hopefully we can get everyone to avoid specific small-scale ideological fights in this thread - make this a focus on learning and proper criticism.

The first video was a roundtable discussion from 1973 involving Black leaders from across the spectrum (ideologically) - everyone from Angela Davis, Kwame Ture, Fanie Lou Hamer to Representative Louis Stokes, and Cenie Williams Jr.

The discussion they're having in this video is exactly as relevant today as it would be in 1973 - owing to the fact that most material conditions have not changed, the electoral system in the United States has squeezed out nearly all of the routes for Black liberation, and globalization has crushed many of the driving forces in alternative governance.

@ogc163 @Black Panther @Luke Cage @xoxodede @AlainLocke @Poitier @IllmaticDelta @Asante @Booker T Garvey @MischievousMonkey @J-Nice @Rhakim @2Quik4UHoes @African Peasant @Stir Fry

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I’ll watch the video later.

Globalization is a double edged sword, on the one hand you’d think it would be easier to link groups of Black people throughout to collectively work towards one another’s benefit. But as you said, globalization has stifled that due to the increased efficiency of oppressing forces.

I’ll comment further after watching the video.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I'll check this out, thanks for the mention.
I just want to point out that my ideology is more about strategy and how to successfully accomplish your goals.
Just saying that because sometimes people think i disagree with a particular ideology. That's usually not the case, i just question whether or not they will actually be successful in employing it or whether a particular action by followers of that ideology has unintended consequences that make it more difficult to successfully employ it.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Thanks for the mention, I would love to participate.

I think our broad goal should be (1) to create a clearly defined consensus of Black issues, and from there, (2) brainstorm actionable steps to overcoming those issues.

I think most groups like this fail to produce the latter due to not establishing the former. Amongst the Black community our issues may seem clear, but to outsiders we may seem all over the place. Some Black people blame both criminals and police, government and citizens, and personal choice and outside malice with equal fervor. :dwillhuh:

Providing clarity will aid in coming up with actionable steps.

The best way to clarify our positions is with a preponderance of evidence for each assertion, and for that we must agree upon common sources of evidence. (Ex. one poster may feel justified in citing the New York Times, while another won't accept anything that's not on infowars.com.)

Even if it doesn't go any further than this thread--let alone this forum--that's what needs to happen, in my estimation. :ehh:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’ll watch the video later.

Globalization is a double edged sword, on the one hand you’d think it would be easier to link groups of Black people throughout to collectively work towards one another’s benefit. But as you said, globalization has stifled that due to the increased efficiency of oppressing forces.

I’ll comment further after watching the video.
You're entirely right about the double-edged sword of globalization. I think it has shown especially over the last decade, the connectivity and ubiquity of some of its tech areas led to some of the biggest international revolts in history, mostly concentrated in East Africa and the "Middle East," and it hasn't produced the kind of international Diaspora cooperation we all expected it would.

There are so many layers, as well - it requires a lot of thinking.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'll check this out, thanks for the mention.
I just want to point out that my ideology is more about strategy and how to successfully accomplish your goals.
Just saying that because sometimes people think i disagree with a particular ideology. That's usually not the case, i just question whether or not they will actually be successful in employing it or whether a particular action by followers of that ideology has unintended consequences that make it more difficult to successfully employ it.
That is where I think we agree. My ideology is based on the practical application of theory and ideas. I think success is a measure of the planning as well as the accounting of outside variables.

I think on a practical level - the defunding of policing and the reallocation of the funding to social services with training would have seemed insane on a national level just a few years ago - but the catalyst of unending police violence in the midst of a global pandemic changed everything.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I think most groups like this fail to produce the latter due to not establishing the former. Amongst the Black community our issues may seem clear, but to outsiders we may seem all over the place. Some Black people blame both criminals and police, government and citizens, and personal choice and outside malice with equal fervor. :dwillhuh:

Without getting into the logistics or likelihood, this is why I like reparations.
  • Hispanics have immigration.
  • Jews, Israel.
  • Asians and Muslims, just leave us alone and don't notice us.
  • Native Americans, sovereign land.
  • Black people..... until 2015, if not 2017, they would still be going down that list of grievances and demands.

But now, black people can also rally around 1 word: reparations. Easily. And it's automatically specific regardless of country. It makes political demands so much easier.

And because black people have had to deal with external policy creating and fueling internal issues, it's difficult for them to not go after both with equal ferocity. They are both that bad. But getting outsiders who don't deal with those issues to see that is difficult.

Last edited:

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Angela Davis and a few others on the panel had some interesting things to say about the Democratic Party. right here

She must be a MAGA supporter.

:troll:

The one brother at @26 mins mentions no knock warrants and stop and frisk.

Asante

All Star
Daps
Around the 24 min. mark Angela Davis brought up how the white liberal Democrats were not looking out for our people almost 50 years ago! I wonder where that message got misconstrued within that time frame?

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
An interesting follow up conversation 20 years later.

A 1993 roundtable discussion on the current condition of the Black Community and the fight for Liberation. Featuring Derrick Bell, Elaine Brown, Stanley Crouch, Ralph Ellison, John Edgar Wideman, Patricia Williams and Kwame Ture.

Stanley Crouch was c00ning extra hard from the jump. Talking about how "Black Power" was bad for the Black Movement because it scared away white allies. Called Toure' a "race-baiter". Using c00nservative talking points we still hear today.

Some other great points.

"The of fate African-Americans is tied to America"

Derek Bell said some profound stuff starting from 12:36. How "equality" has left us in a worse position than we were pre-desegregation.

Talks about how whites use Bell's personal success to deny systematic racism.

:wow:

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
Ill watch later today. However, I feel like reliving the past too much can also be detrimental. The cocktail that caused the Black Power movement isnt the same as today.
I think we should focus our efforts on economic education and adapting while we wait for the wheels of bureaucracy to spin.