Essential The Official Photography Thread

richtree

Top Shotta, None Hotta!
Daps
Reppin
At the top.
When did y’all know it was time to upgrade from a Kit? Pretty sure I’m not there yet, but curious :pachaha:

when I discovered that I couldn’t accomplish looks I
Was going for.
When I was transitioning from street to more portraits, my crop sensor was nasty past 800 iso so shooting later in the evening was a no go. Then the focal length (only had a 50mm) was like 85mm all the time and it was no bueno.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
when I discovered that I couldn’t accomplish looks I
Was going for.
When I was transitioning from street to more portraits, my crop sensor was nasty past 800 iso so shooting later in the evening was a no go. Then the focal length (only had a 50mm) was like 85mm all the time and it was no bueno.

Night photog will probably be what does it for me too. I can already see the cracks forming trying to get my exposure right while keeping the noise and whatnot out when the light is either too harsh, or too dark. I definitely wanna get into some dark shooting

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
When did y’all know it was time to upgrade from a Kit? Pretty sure I’m not there yet, but curious :pachaha:

Soon as I rented and borrowed better lenses I knew I had to get some good glass for the results I wanted. Hell I bought the 50mm f/1.8 and it was really a wrap for the kit after that, seeing how tack sharp it was and the image quality was really good for a $120 lens.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Soon as I rented and borrowed better lenses I knew I had to get some good glass for the results I wanted. Hell I bought the 50mm f/1.8 and it was really a wrap for the kit after that, seeing how tack sharp it was and the image quality was really good for a $120 lens.

Did this become your default? My kit is15-45mm f/3.5-5.6. Best thing going for it from what I see is it’s lightweight and versatile.

I got a Fuji X-T200 idk if I ever put that in here.

When I started shooting weddings I bought a canon 6d and a 24-105mm

I took a class last yr and was the only one in there with a Fuji. Everybody else mostly had Canon’s and the instructor was saying that was the easiest one to learn the controls on. The only thing that is annoying for me is I don’t have a dial for ISO. I have to go into the menu, and either set my auto, or touch through it every time. It’s usually the last thing I touch so it’s not too bad, but it would be nice to have one more dial.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Did this become your default? My kit is15-45mm f/3.5-5.6. Best thing going for it from what I see is it’s lightweight and versatile.

I took a class last yr and was the only one in there with a Fuji. Everybody else mostly had Canon’s and the instructor was saying that was the easiest one to learn the controls on. The only thing that is annoying for me is I don’t have a dial for ISO. I have to go into the menu, and either set my auto, or touch through it every time. It’s usually the last thing I touch so it’s not too bad, but it would be nice to have one more dial.

Yes, at the time it did. I started off with a Canon Digital Rebel with the kit lens. 1st lens I bought was the 50mm, I was heavy into portrait photography at the time so this lens was miles ahead of what the kit could pull off, this was back in 2003. Ontop of that with the Rebel being a crop sensor, the 50mm worked out to be around 80mm. I still think the 50mm f/1.8 lenses are must in every photographers bag, for the money they are hard to and can be quite useful.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Just copped the EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS

I hate zooms but I need it for streaming at church and didn't want to spend double the price for the 2.8 I'll probably never use.

Since 99% of the time I'm 35/85 going to work on upgrading those lenses next

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Yes, at the time it did. I started off with a Canon Digital Rebel with the kit lens. 1st lens I bought was the 50mm, I was heavy into portrait photography at the time so this lens was miles ahead of what the kit could pull off, this was back in 2003. Ontop of that with the Rebel being a crop sensor, the 50mm worked out to be around 80mm. I still think the 50mm f/1.8 lenses are must in every photographers bag, for the money they are hard to and can be quite useful.

its crazy how you go from :lupe: should i spend that 150 on a nifty fifty

to :lupe: should i spend that 1,500 on a lens

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland

I hate zooms but I need it for streaming at church and didn't want to spend double the price for the 2.8 I'll probably never use.

Damn homie, wish I would have known you were looking, I would have sold you my EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L at a nice Coli price a little over a month ago. How much you pick up the f/4 for?

its crazy how you go from :lupe: should i spend that 150 on a nifty fifty

to :lupe: should i spend that 1,500 on a lens

No lies told, breh, so my photog fam that now lives in ATL, we grew up together and he got me heavy into photography. I can remember starting out he was looking at a Canon 10D, I asked him "why you wanna spend $1,500 on a camera? :mindblown:" He pointed me to dpreview and photography on the net with sample images, had me like :ooh::whew:. I was a Sony head back in the day from the A/V industry, picked up they 828 camera. He told me, you gonna be returning that for a Canon D-Reb watch. Sure enough, only had the Sony for a weekend, it went back due to horrible CA. $1,100 later came home with a brand new Digital Rebel. He told me the same as you mentioned, at 1st you gonna look at lenses like $300!!! :damn:, after a while you gonna be like, that f/2.8 is only $1,700 :manny:. No lies told. Happened the same way with the drone, I merely mentioned I was interested in one, he had the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, after some footage he shot and bunch of encouraging YT links from him, $1,700 later I had one coming. Got tired of fukking with the phone/tablet to control it, friend sold me on the $800 Smart Controller like "you could be up in the air in 30 sec, not messing around with usb cables and mounts and what not".

Not gonna lie, photography is the 2nd most expensive interest I have, love it tho.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous

i shoot fuji, fukk all them other cameras :pachaha:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang

You might want that 2.8 breh especially being indoors :patrice:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Damn homie, wish I would have known you were looking, I would have sold you my EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L at a nice Coli price a little over a month ago. How much you pick up the f/4 for?

No lies told, breh, so my photog fam that now lives in ATL, we grew up together and he got me heavy into photography. I can remember starting out he was looking at a Canon 10D, I asked him "why you wanna spend $1,500 on a camera? :mindblown:" He pointed me to dpreview and photography on the net with sample images, had me like :ooh::whew:. I was a Sony head back in the day from the A/V industry, picked up they 828 camera. He told me, you gonna be returning that for a Canon D-Reb watch. Sure enough, only had the Sony for a weekend, it went back due to horrible CA. $1,100 later came home with a brand new Digital Rebel. He told me the same as you mentioned, at 1st you gonna look at lenses like $300!!! :damn:, after a while you gonna be like, that f/2.8 is only $1,700 :manny:. No lies told. Happened the same way with the drone, I merely mentioned I was interested in one, he had the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, after some footage he shot and bunch of encouraging YT links from him, $1,700 later I had one coming. Got tired of fukking with the phone/tablet to control it, friend sold me on the $800 Smart Controller like "you could be up in the air in 30 sec, not messing around with usb cables and mounts and what not".

Not gonna lie, photography is the 2nd most expensive interest I have, love it tho.

paid 520usd
how much you sold the 70-200m f.28 L for ?

and yeah minus travelling photography chews up the most for me