Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
m3X6lzE.gif

Ron Swanson da GOAT :wowjb:

Montez

Superstar
Daps
John Barnes :whoo:

I'm not interested in what happened to Yaya Touré at CSKA Moscow – as far as I'm concerned their supporters can abuse who they want because, for me, what happened in Russia is the tip of a wider issue and, quite frankly, something of a smokescreen. For instance, how many black coaches are there in this country? Very few, yet all we're focusing on isCSKA Moscow, and the more we push for clubs like them to get banned or have their stadiums shut down the more we don't need to look at what is going on here.

The truth is that those at the top of British football do not care about getting rid of racism, they just don't want to hear it or see it. As soon as someone like Touré or Danny Rose gets abused in Eastern Europethere is shock and outrage from players, clubs and the authorities, yet no one is speaking about the people living in inner cities like Brixton who, because of their appearance and their background, have become completely disenfranchised from society. Why don't they care? Because the powers-that-be have enough wealth to not worry about these people.

Black players, in particular, should be tackling these issues because ultimately it will affect them when they retire. There are so many intelligent former black players, guys like Luther Blissett and Cyrille Regis, who never got a chance to become a top manager or a top coach because of the perception that surrounds people who look like them. They are black – which, for many, means they are good athletes but incapable of being anything above and beyond that.

To a large extent this is down to unconscious racism and probably 99% of us are guilty of that – I know I am. We all have preconceptions of people based on what we have been told about them and their race and ethnicity.

I still come across managers of a certain generation, those in their fifties and older, who say to me: "I don't see you as black", and think that is a compliment. So what, I don't walk around with my jeans down by my arse, smoking a spliff, so that means I'm not black? These are the attitudes we need to change if black people as a whole are going to progress, and the only way we can achieve that is through education.

This is what footballers have to do – they cannot directly affect society but what they can do is use their standing in this country to make a wider audience aware of the wider issues surrounding race and stress the importance of understanding that what they have been told about a certain group of people is, in the main, wrong.

That, for instance, the best occupations black people can aspire to is being a footballer, or a runner, or a singer. People look at Barack Obama and say: "See, black people can be President" – no they can't. Any black person who has been successful, particularly Obama, has been lifted out of blackness and stands as the exception.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/04/racist-abuse-yaya-toure-john-barnes

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
:heh:

What the hell is a character guy?

"Hey fergie, save me from Spurs/Leeds!"

"Ach, ahd lavv tae."

A guy who doesn't fukking talk shyt like a crazy person. We already have Rooney trying to leave everytime someone gets paid more than him, we can't have Ibra fighting with coaches, parking foreign sports cars when the coach tells you not to. Motherfukker.

King Theo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A guy who doesn't fukking talk shyt like a crazy person. We already have Rooney trying to leave everytime someone gets paid more than him, we can't have Ibra fighting with coaches, parking foreign sports cars when the coach tells you not to. Motherfukker.

Is this really an issue though. :heh:

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Yeah mate, everyone else in the league is simply ecstatic the moy scouts ultimately decided to play it safe with Fellaini as this season's galactico.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Yeah mate, everyone else in the league is simply ecstatic the moy scouts ultimately decided to play it safe with Fellaini as this season's galactico.

What the fukk are you talking about?

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London

fellaini and giggs in a 2 man midfield :scusthov:

why wont he give fabio a chance, smalling at rb never works