Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
In the past couple of years we've seen an influx of stats and KPIs that try to quantify the beautiful game, especially for players that don't record goals/assists. When I first started following the game it was primarily goals, assists, clean sheets and depending on where you went, tackles and blocks. Now we have chances created, aerial duels won, xG, progressive passes, pass accuracy (short and long), dribbles, passes in opposition 3rd, shot to goal conversion %, sprint speed, progressive runs, touches etc. I think on one hand, yes, it's good to get some more metrics to try and assess performance, but at the same time we might get to a point where we try and force fit statistical models into the game.

One stat/KPI I wouldn't mind seeing, is a "critical contribution" metric for strikers/forwards/creative players. Why? Goals tally alone doesn't illustrate the full picture.

Take for example Icardi. Since dude moved to PSG he's been banging in goals left and right. But if you look at his goals, most (at least from what I've seen) come when PSG is up 3-0 and the game is in the last 10 mins, essentially a garbage time goal that has little bearing to do with the outcome of the game. It'd be different, than say Icardi scoring the only goal in 1-0 win in the SFs of the French Cup.

Just my musing (been looking at spread sheets all day).

Solomon Kalou whole Chelsea career was made on this.

Icardi in the CL scored the first goal in 3 games and had the winner in 2 of them.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Also Pereira is :trash: can't be from Brazil or Belgium, came on and added nothing...:hhh:

Mata & Matic both with no legs :flabbynsick: been carrying this team for a week.

This Bruno Fernandes saga gotta end with a happy ending....right?:francis:

Pereira might be going the other way as part of the deal. As much as I don't think Pereira isn't Man U quality, sending a midfielder with Premier league experience isn't the best idea. At least Pereira is good for a couple good passes, assists and attempts on goal. Plus he's younger than Mata and Matic

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
This is true. I was more alluding to his performance in Ligue 1. Dude had been critical in UCL.

Icardi has already done it in a better league prior to joining there. Also he scored the opening goals vs Marseille. What more bigger game in Ligue 1 than that?

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Icardi has already done it in a better league prior to joining there. Also he scored the opening goals vs Marseille. What more bigger game in Ligue 1 than that?

He definitely is a proven striker and again, I alluded to saying in the games I've seen. Le Classique is as big as it gets in French football. I'm just more so making an observation of a stat that I think would be interesting to see.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
He definitely is a proven striker and again, I alluded to saying in the games I've seen. Le Classique is as big as it gets in French football. I'm just more so making an observation of a stat that I think would be interesting to see.

Do you include a stat of a forward running towards the goal, never touching the ball but takes defenders away from the ball. With movement that opens up space for the ball carrier to have a shot or passes it to another player to have a shot that leads to a goal? Does the shot/goal even happen without the forwards contribution of movement, which created the opportunity in the first place?

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London

"That back fired" -
Y2ckrqi.jpg

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
In the past couple of years we've seen an influx of stats and KPIs that try to quantify the beautiful game, especially for players that don't record goals/assists. When I first started following the game it was primarily goals, assists, clean sheets and depending on where you went, tackles and blocks. Now we have chances created, aerial duels won, xG, progressive passes, pass accuracy (short and long), dribbles, passes in opposition 3rd, shot to goal conversion %, sprint speed, progressive runs, touches etc. I think on one hand, yes, it's good to get some more metrics to try and assess performance, but at the same time we might get to a point where we try and force fit statistical models into the game.

Facts