The Official Dallas,TX DFW Metroplex Thread

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
them pinkston nikkas wasnt doin shyt....

them lincoln n madison nikkas wearing daring other schools to come thru in their lettermans on high school day

only nikkas i have saw give em them nikkas a run for their money was soc n velt...

u was fool if u came thru wearing nwa n raider shyt... iono what it was but them highland hills n south dallas despised the raideres and nwa..lol

n i would go back n try n listen to see what it was...89-96 the fair was active as shyt on disd days...

them nikkas absolutely brutalized the Cowboys parade when they won the SB back in 92. me and my homeboys were there thru all of it. they had free busing that day in Dallas and them nikkas showed up thick as shyt.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
them nikkas absolutely brutalized the Cowboys parade when they won the SB back in 92. me and my homeboys were there thru all of it. they had free busing that day in Dallas and them nikkas showed up thick as shyt.

i got a cousin who was always downtown whenever some bullshyt jumped off he was there for this and he was there when they had them skinheads came downtown around the sametime...the parade album prolly the same yr or a lil bit afterwards

but he was part of that crip set that hung out at that mcdonalds on commerce

he was on that frontline special did back in the day about the drug war in south dallas...

jus click play he is the first person u see interviewed at the mailboxes..lol..

when them skinheads thru downtown...them nikkas was on they ass...him personally was moppin some honkies outside of hl green...into the burger king that was nearby... he had a set of brass knuckles..

he was trained at the oakcliff boys club behind ww bushman by coach herb... whenever i come up to visit or come down to visit he always had 2 mop buckets with big ass bags of rice and tennis balls...he useta throw the balls in the bucket n cover em with the rice n be diggin in the buckets all day...then at nite he punchin the rice..

never understood it until i felt his hands...concrete..so i knew he was doin damage...that day

he fukked a couple of em up inside the burger king....n thru the brass knuckles in the fryers...when he got arrested...which he ended up escaping.....ended up at the greyhound station n headed to houston...hid out until my dad took his ass back n turned him in...n they didnt even take em..lol

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Where to Eat in Dallas for Black Restaurant Week - D Magazine
south-dallas-cafe-677x451.jpg

Where to Eat in Dallas for Black Restaurant Week - D Magazine
Soul food. Smoked turkey legs. Fine dining with globe-trotting cuisines. The annual food event has returned to Dallas and it starts today.

You might remember Black Restaurant Week from three years ago, when it came through Dallas for the first time. H-Town expats in North Texas might recall Black Restaurant Week’s Houston runs, where it all started back in 2016. Whatever your familiarity or lack thereof, you can get (re)acquainted beginning today, March 12, through March 21.

Black Restaurant Week is nine days of dining through the flavors of African American, African, and Caribbean cuisines. Participating restaurants around Dallas (so far) are Vinetti’s, South Dallas Café, Harris House of Heroes, Burger IM, Pangea (one of our Best New Bites in Dallas), Wings World, Turkey D.A.M., and Ten 01 Bistro.

Warren Luckett founded the event with Falayn Ferrell and Derek Robinson to disrupt the systemic barriers faced by Black-owned restaurants. “Most restaurant owners use personal savings and credit cards, and when they are getting loans, interest rates are typically higher,” says Ferrell. That makes matters especially tough “when you already have such a slim operating margin.” Most businesses don’t have PR folks to share news, events, or specials, either; social media can be a chore and a barrier, too. And according to data collected by the University of California-Santa Cruz, 41 percent of Black-owned businesses have shuttered since February 2020 (but have since rebounded a bit), compared to 17 percent of White-owned businesses amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ferrell also says a lot of these places don’t have a formal dining model, but rather casual or counter-style takeout. “That’s kind of why we started. We’re being left of out the conversation of the typical restaurant week,” in which campaigns might run multi-course specials, says Farrell. “We wanted to create a platform for those businesses in those communities.” Plus, Black Restaurant Week doesn’t charge fees or take a percentage of sales. “They keep all revenue and invest back into their business,” Farrell says.

“That’s kind of why we started, we’re being left of out the conversation of the typical restaurant week.”

Falayn Farrell, Black Restaurant Week co-founder
For restaurant owners like Deanna Price, every bit counts. She owns and operates South Dallas Cafe, which was started by her husband James Price in 1996, as well as Addison restaurants Vinetti’s and DJ’s Steakhouse. “When COVID hit, we took a big loss on all of our restaurants, with our employees and bartenders and servers, and everybody.” She hopes Black Restaurant Week will “let people know our businesses are open, that we survived COVID—thank God—and we’re just glad to be here and our food is good.”

Farrell says the event exists to “be that conduit” for restaurants. “That’s the beauty of it. It’s a blessing to be a blessing—even now, it’s very important as people are still recovering,” she says.

“This year has been an unfortunate year. I lost my father-in-law in the pandemic; it was hard,” Price says. “I hate that COVID had come and just ruined everything—most businesses didn’t even come back and survive from it, and I hate that. So when people say, ‘Well, how dare you open 100 percent or 75 percent,’ they just don’t understand that we have bills, too. We have families, we have lives. We have employees that need us, that depend on us. Don’t discredit us for wanting to make a living. This is our way of life.”

DJ’s, which stands for “Deanna” and “James,” has been open just six months, built through the pandemic with no PPP loans, all with the Price’s own money. “My husband is a steak man and he always wanted him a steak house,” says Price. There’s of course steak, but Price’s favorite items on the menu are the lamb chops, side of dressing, and Cajun-spiced cabbage—”it does have a little kick to it,” she says. Vinetti’s is great for pasta, stiff martinis, and live jazz music.

As for South Dallas Cafe, you have to stick with the stick-to-your-ribs classics like smothered pork chops or smothered turkey legs, homemade dressing, mac and cheese, and hot water cornbread. “Everybody don’t have hot water cornbread, we were the first to do the signature hot water cornbread,” she says. Well, there you go. The cornbread flag has been planted.

For the Dallas-born-and-bred Price family, hospitality is their legacy. David Sing, one of James Price’s sons, has branched out onto his own to open two new Uptown restaurants, Turkey D.A.M. and Ten 01 Bistro, the latter of which replaced Nickel & Rye on McKinney Avenue. Turkey D.A.M. opened last October with, you guessed it, smoked turkey legs (upwards of 1,500 per day).

Sing says they’ll be serving fresh Louisiana crawfish every day through March and April. Ten 01 Bistro, which opened last month, is part lounge, part restaurant that serves both Southern-style comfort food as well as vegan fare. Eventually, Sing wants to open his spaces for other people of color across all industries—food, art, you name it. “My ultimate goal in this is to have this be a platform… I’ve never been a person to make it alone,” he says. “We have to support each other.”

On that note, you can support these restaurants during Black Restaurant Week (March 12–21). Of course, Dallas has many Black-owned restaurants—bakeries, pop-ups, food trucks, too—that you can always support. Revisit our recently updated list here.

shopthatwrecks

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Probably a test run.

Never understood why those popular restaurants in htown don't open up in Dallas. I think Pinkerton's just opened a spot in SA.
low key politics..

carl moore..who is also my lawyer..he owns a piece of turkey leg hut...

he said its hard...when u got rivals...near by

black restaurants buisnesses are corrupt they will smile in ya face...n stab u in the back...calling health inspectors.. pay good money to keep drama goin

turkey leg had to shut down often...for the last 3 yrs.. because u had rival ppl "secret dining" coming in n leaving complainin reporting dirty kitchens food uncooked not temp right etc..

he said now since they have cheapest n biggest crawfish in the city.... they got customers sayin they selling dead crawfish....

so coming to dallas...i already know how they did alot of the places in dallas...n dallas health inspectors dont be playin...they would have to come n be in the suburbs somewhere...

or go uptown like shoals, true kitchen...ellens...off the bone and all the other places...its gone cost but its a peace of mind...

shopthatwrecks

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Man if they opened up a Breakfast Klub in Dallas :banderas:
i remember when they opened up franks... in oak cliff...

it was where the old pizza inn payless n kfc useta bee on lancaster road...by tds...they were open for a good 10yrs...then it dried up n left...

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
That stimulus $ wilding

Gunman sought after killing 21-year-old woman, wounding 7 other people inside northwest Dallas nightclub
Police said the shooting at Pryme Bar occurred during a disturbance between two groups.
AB2J4YXJMJGFTH2JTL7ZXSLW2U.jpg

Pryme Bar nightclub is on Technology Boulevard, just south of Northwest Highway and between Loop 12 and Interstate 35E.(Kelli Smith)
By Kelli Smith

8:57 AM on Mar 20, 2021

One person was killed and seven others were wounded when a shooter opened fire early Saturday inside a crowded northwest Dallas nightclub, police said.

Police were called about 1:30 a.m. to Pryme Bar, at 10333 Technology Boulevard West, just south of Northwest Highway and west of Interstate 35E, and found eight people shot — four men and four women, all in their 20s, police said.

Officers determined that a disturbance had broken out between two groups inside, and that after a witness tried to intervene, someone pulled out a gun and began firing.

The gunman, described as a Black man in his early 20s with dreadlocks and a blue shirt with a hat and jacket, remained at large, police said.

X65PL3BTFVBMDGY3QWXN2S5E6Q.png

Daisy Navarrete, 21, of Plano died after the shooting. Conditions of the seven others who were wounded ranged from good to critical, police said.(Judith Gonzalez)
All eight victims were taken to hospitals. Daisy Navarrete, 21, of Plano died, and conditions of the others ranged from good to critical, police said.

Navarrete had just turned 21 Monday and was full of life, said her mother, Judith Gonzalez, also of Plano. She was born and raised in Plano and worked at FedEx but hoped to one day go to nursing school.

“She was a beautiful, happy girl,” Gonzalez said. “She had a lot to live for. But not anymore because now she’s gone.

“This has been very, very hard,” Gonzalez added. “We need the police to get the person that did this. This cannot be left like this.”

Gonzalez said Navarrete had gone to the club “just to have fun.” She said it was the nightclub’s responsibility to make sure the environment was safe, and she expressed anger at both police and Pryme Bar for not taking steps to prevent the violence.

“How did a person get in there with a gun?” Gonzalez said. “The police needs to look at all those details. If they were more careful, we won’t be going through all this nightmare.”

‘I don’t want to die alone’
Piles of blood-stained rags and clothes, shards of glass and bottles of alcohol were still scattered around the two-story club later Saturday morning. A light pink heel that employees said belonged to one of the victims sat near the entrance by a pile of stained clothing.

It had been a busy Friday night with hundreds of partygoers, many of them young women, staff members said.

NGX2ZEMB35BFBCUX4AF7D2B6DY.jpg

Crime scene tape and debris littered the Pryme Bar in northwest Dallas on Saturday morning. The staff was cleaning up.(Kelli Smith)

“There was a lot of mayhem,” said employee Jeromy Skinner, who was at the club overnight and came back early Saturday to help clean up.

Skinner said he was near the back of the club when the shooter walked in through a side door and came to blows with another man near the front. The two fought near the entrance, then nine to 12 shots rang out, Skinner said. The music was cut off, and people started frantically shoving one another in a scramble to get out the back doors.

“If anything, it’s weird that I’m alive, because I saw a lady get shot,“ Skinner said, adding that that was the moment he thought, “This is real.”

Police arrived within minutes, Skinner said. He said one wounded woman stumbled toward the bathroom before telling him, “Please help me, I don’t want to die alone.”

FDEFKM4YWFGELOLNLN2DIVX4AU.jpg

Dallas police provided images of a witness and the man believed to have opened fire.(Dallas Police Department)
“That’s going to kill me the rest of my life,” Skinner said. “I was just like, ‘Damn.’”

Skinner said that employees were devastated by the shooting and that he couldn’t sleep after getting home about 5:30 a.m.

Greg Adams, 41, was one of two people cleaning outside the bar Saturday morning. He said he had been outside the building when the shooting happened and saw hundreds of people pile out through the back entrances. People also fled nearby businesses, he said.

Adams said he saw one officer pick up a woman who’d been shot in or near her leg and sprint toward an ambulance.

“It was pandemonium,” Adams said, adding that he had noticed a pool of blood dripping out a side doorway as police poured onto the scene.

A history of violence
Skinner said the shooting wasn’t the first violent incident at the Pryme Bar, though he called it the worst he’d seen recently.

Saturday’s bloodshed followed the fatal shooting of a man early Monday in the parking lot of XTC Cabaret, a nightclub on I-35E near Regal Row and Harry Hines Boulevard and not far from Pryme Bar.

In that case, Gregory Chandler was shot multiple times and pronounced dead at the scene. David McMillian, 43, was arrested on a murder charge and remained in the Dallas County jail in lieu of $1 million bail.

Police ask anyone with information on the Pryme Bar shooting to contact Detective Boz Rojas at 214-681-1786 or boz.rojas@dallascityhall.com and refer to case #047116-2021.

Crime Stoppers has offered a reward up to $5,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment in the case. Tips, which can be offered anonymously, can be provided at 214-373-TIPS