Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

teacher

All Star
Daps
14906965_10101092946543872_8083199955817030691_n.jpg

14947567_10101092946563832_3016741415000690319_n.jpg

:mjlol:
What's that from? Looks like uncanny avengers what issue?

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone keeping up with Moon Knight? If they can reel in the fukkery experienced in the last three issues with the next one, I will be quite impressed :pachaha:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Finally finished up the last issue of Nighthawk. :wow: It's so clear from here that David Walker wanted to write way more after this.

This ended as a single arc but projecting itself into the next one. It wasn't written like a standalone one-shot. That's how strong his intentions and hopes were for NH that he'd thought he'd make it past 6 issues. This really sucks.

Clearly we never see how Chicago recovers from everything happening in the city. NH only marginally "protects" the city but it's pretty much a lost cost. The only thing that ends conclusively are
Hanrahan's and the Revelator's death
which admittedly were the only things NH was concerned for from the beginning. It sort of mirrored the same way Supreme Power NH ended. In fact there was a lot narrative call backs to that miniseries through this whole arc (for instance, NH's villians always including city officials/businessmen and serial killers).

Anyone wish the Revelator had a bigger monolgue before
just falling to death anticlimatically?
He was hyped to hell as the 2nd villian and I actually believe he had a compelling and righteous philosophy, that I believe should have been contested agains NH's beliefs and moral compass (which are not that different) that could have easily made for an awesome moral dialogue and rhetorical battle.

I mean NH is not that far off from the Revelator in terms of the shyt they do -- besides NH pretending he's striding on the legality of law -- and I found it a bit lackluster nothing was truly and intensively explored between them. A missed opportunity. I was sure Walker was making a purposeful metaphor that NH and the Revealtor are one and the same.

I was a little bit afraid NH was going to be softened up towards the end, but alas... :lupe:

"I didn't come here to save you... I came to watch you die." :damn:

Cac finally got what deserved. :pacspit::salute:
Made Nighthawk continue being the true savage that he is supposed to be. :myman::salute: Couldn't have been a more perfect note to end his characther on.

A good sending off to a compelling, bold and intense story arc that will probably be the last we'll get of a solo NH until another 10 years when Marvel feels like putting on one of its obscure heroes in rotation again.

I'll be copping the trade when it comes out.

--

Now I also just finished reading through BLACK, Vigiante: Southland, and The Prowler. Also Mosaic. A lot of black excellence sprouting in comic books this season around.

BLACK by Kwanzaa Osajefyo as some of you may know is the indie comic about imagining a world where only black people have superpowers, that blazed through Kickstarter last Februrary and got a lot of inital hype because of the premise.

Issue 1, to say the least, is amazing.

The art in this book is dope and the black-and-white coloring matches it and the tone of the story so sublimely. :ohlawd:

I really really like the concept of the society they got going for the mutated selection of black folks that have superpowers ("The Project").

I'm already hooked by the intrigue and art. This sort of badass, sociopolitcal x-men of black people is something I've always wanted to see. The issue ends with a couple cacs seemingly aware of what people like Kareem are and where they come from. So it's not that much of a supposed secret..:lupe:

--

The Prowler #1 was a very fun first issue read. You get a very good mix of: a characther study of Hobie and his monologues, you really get a feel for him and his mental state; action scenes that move smoothly with the story, and an interesting overall plot intrigue. To pack this all in a first issue seamlessly was pretty good. This is definitely in my rotation. :ehh:

--

Vigilante: Southland looks like the DC equivalent to Nighthawk on our hands. :ohhh:

Premise follows the story of an average breh named Donny, a college janitor, whose only concern in life is playing basketball and getting faded.

His girlfriend is a serious black social activist and protestor, and at night also dons the crimefighter alter ego, Vigilante. After digging through a conspiracy involving the the theft of water right, she apparently is assassinated/murdered in a hit and run, and Donny is basically fueled and captivated by revenge, and is searching for the people responsible for her death. He ends up finding her costume stash and subsequently takes up the mantle of the Vigilante.

The writer said “It’s a politically tinged story that touches on a myriad of contemporary issues, such as gun violence, class struggle and Black Lives Matter. The book also provides me an opportunity to contemporize classic issues/tropes like the fight over water rights in southern California. I’m very excited to show readers this character, reimagined for the 21st Century.”

---

Mosaic #1 was.... okay. Nothing instantly captivated me. I do acutally find his powers interesting, though and I'm interested as to where the writing will go.

Last edited: