Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Midnight Mass is definitely looking like slow burn done right. I just finished episode three and that was a home run. This show's got a tone to it that's crazy, everything's got a powerful foreboding sense.
For whatever reason, I’m having a really hard time getting through these first 2 eps - it is soooooo slow to me. Tried to watch last night and fell asleep. It’s slow burn but this feels like audiobook horror story levels of slowness. Rather than feeling the sense of doom or scare factor - it’s relaxing. lol.

Does this pick up at ep 3 bc I’m not getting drawn in yet. Maybe it’s because I’ve been rewatching a lot of 2000s era slashers, fast paced foreign thriller flicks (especially the Spanish/Italian market of movies bc they are extremely story intensive, dramatic and violent) -so my brain is not really on slow burn mode. And it doesn’t help that Malignant spoiled me- I’m expecting shows to be like that.
:mjlol::francis:

What I get from Midnight Mass - Book of Genesis so far is dude is back from prison, there’s a creature killing cats, dead birds on the beach, the Monsignor is missing and he’s having flashbacks of a bedazzled glittery ghosts, and is it me but why is everybody’s skin so old leathery, pale, aging spots and wrinkled?? I know they’re white but those actors aren’t that old to look like that in real life. Like everyone is rapidly advanced aged wearing skin graft masks - Is that a makeup technique or is that also part of the storyline to conclude during the show that explains this. I’m confused.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Nightstream's line-up for this year drops tomorrow. Last year I got the 5 movie pass and definitely think it was worth it. I got to watch Anything for Jackson, Blackbear, and the Night well before they hit VOD and streaming options. I'm waiting for the line-up to decide if I want to jump on it again (last year, with the drought of horror we had this ish was a GODSEND but the quality of movies makes me think I might do it again).

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Tubi in the cut :whoo:

Tubi has a lot of shyt. I have it just for random horror movies lol.

Finished Midnight Mass this morning and I love it. it's not perfect by any means but its message and execution of that message, and its thoughtfulness just put it over the top for me

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
For whatever reason, I’m having a really hard time getting through these first 2 eps - it is soooooo slow to me. Tried to watch last night and fell asleep. It’s slow burn but this feels like audiobook horror story levels of slowness. Rather than feeling the sense of doom or scare factor - it’s relaxing. lol.

Does this pick up at ep 3 bc I’m not getting drawn in yet. Maybe it’s because I’ve been rewatching a lot of 2000s era slashers, fast paced foreign thriller flicks (especially the Spanish/Italian market of movies bc they are extremely story intensive, dramatic and violent) -so my brain is not really on slow burn mode. And it doesn’t help that Malignant spoiled me- I’m expecting shows to be like that.
:mjlol::francis:

What I get from Midnight Mass - Book of Genesis so far is dude is back from prison, there’s a creature killing cats, dead birds on the beach, the Monsignor is missing and he’s having flashbacks of a bedazzled glittery ghosts, and is it me but why is everybody’s skin so old leathery, pale, aging spots and wrinkled?? I know they’re white but those actors aren’t that old to look like that in real life. Like everyone is rapidly advanced aged wearing skin graft masks - Is that a makeup technique or is that also part of the storyline to conclude during the show that explains this. I’m confused.

I thought the first two were really slow until the absolute last scene of the second. But the third episode was a standout for me, still slow but with some very big moments and performances. Episode 4 and 5 are where it takes a turn from creepy drama to straight up horror though and that's when the disconnected threads all link up and start to make sense. In my opinion, the build-up is definitely worth it. You get to understand the characters and that helps make sense of decisions they make that drive along the story.

I think the characters have good depth, the horror doesn't land until episode 4 but some scenes from then on have nice impact, and the performances are really good (that priest BODIES it and the alcoholic, always speaking in homilies).

What I love is that Flanagan really sticks to his themes. Redemption, fanaticism, addiction and rebirth are all explored from multiple angles in ways that should make for good discourse.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

Written by Leigh Wannell. Cast includes Elijah Wood, Rain Wilson, and Jack McBrayer...how have I never heard of this horror comedy? It popped up randomly on Tubi and now I gotta watch this ish to see if it sucks enough to be so obscure with such a stacked cast and crew.

I really wanted to like Cooties more than I ended up liking it because the premise was great and the cast was full of actors I liked but the movies tended to drag for long periods of time as well as seeming to be apprehensive about going balls out with the fukkery.

The only person who read the assignment in that movie was Rainn Wilson. He was great.

cooties.gif

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I really wanted to like Cooties more than I ended up liking it because the premise was great and the cast was full of actors I liked but the movies tended to drag for long periods of time as well as seeming to be apprehensive about going balls out with the fukkery.

The only person who read the assignment in that movie was Rainn Wilson. He was great.

cooties.gif

1000% co-sign. Rainn Wilson and Alison Pill were the only two that I really thought went all out and Pill's character really only got a couple of moments to break out of her shell. Wannell had some one-liners in there to be fair.

But overall, it felt like the parts should have added up to something waaaay better than what we got...which still wasn't bad, but wasn't good either, just very forgettable.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I thought the first two were really slow until the absolute last scene of the second. But the third episode was a standout for me, still slow but with some very big moments and performances. Episode 4 and 5 are where it takes a turn from creepy drama to straight up horror though and that's when the disconnected threads all link up and start to make sense. In my opinion, the build-up is definitely worth it. You get to understand the characters and that helps make sense of decisions they make that drive along the story.

I think the characters have good depth, the horror doesn't land until episode 4 but some scenes from then on have nice impact, and the performances are really good (that priest BODIES it and the alcoholic, always speaking in homilies).

What I love is that Flanagan really sticks to his themes. Redemption, fanaticism, addiction and rebirth are all explored from multiple angles in ways that should make for good discourse.
Thanks for this description and summary!! I was about to dead it to my watch later list but something was pressing me to stick with it to see how it develops bc it’s a Flanagan creation so I know it has to pick up and lead to somewhere - you’ve convinced me to continue.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Have y’all ever watched Netflix with the Audio Description- I’ve made a new discovery right now.
weebay-thewire.gif

ok- like if you’re working at your desk but have a show/movie that’s playing in the background. But you’re not fully focused on the show bc you’re also concentrating on work and get distracted. The audio description gives an audio narrated summary of the different scenes that take place as you watch.
:ohhh:
Mind blown - all that time I used to waste rewinding because I missed a pivotal plot point when I could have used audio description this whole time
:stopitslime:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I’m watching Midnight Mass as I work, with the audio description -
The Narrator robo voice describing the scene at 34:11 episode 2: “they turn, the townspeople stare. Pike lays in a pool of bloody vomit. Foam seeps from Pike’s mouth. He lies still”

:deadrose::picard:
I wasn’t ready :laff:
Narrator: “The townspeople disperse. Joe lifts his watery eyes from Pike’s motionless body.”
Sheeesshh.

This audio description feature opened up a whole new zone for me.
:deadmanny:

Last edited: