Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
I just found a 2019 article that Past Magazine did where they put together a list of the 50 best serial killer movies of all time. Listed below are the Top 20...what say you Horror Thread Brehs + Brehettes?

1. Psycho
Year:
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
A Phoenix secretary embezzles $40,000 from her employer's client, goes on the run, and checks into a remote motel run by a young man under the domination of his mother.

2. The Silence of The Lambs
Year:
Director: Jonathan Demme
A young F.B.I. cadet must receive the help of an incarcerated and manipulative cannibal killer to help catch another serial killer, a madman who skins his victims.

3. Zodiac
Year:
Director: David Fincher
In the late 1960s/early 1970s, a San Francisco cartoonist becomes an amateur detective obsessed with tracking down the Zodiac Killer, an unidentified individual who terrorizes Northern California with a killing spree.

4. The Night of The Hunter
Year:
Director: Charles Laughton
A religious fanatic marries a gullible widow whose young children are reluctant to tell him where their real daddy hid the $10,000 he'd stolen in a robbery.

5. Badlands
Year:
Director: Terrence Malick
An impressionable teenage girl from a dead-end town and her older greaser boyfriend embark on a killing spree in the South Dakota badlands.

6. Peeping Tom
Year:
Director: Michael Powell
A young man murders women, using a movie camera to film their dying expressions of terror.

7. M
Year:
Director: Fritz Lang
When the police in a German city are unable to catch a child-murderer, other criminals join in the manhunt.

8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Year:
Director: Tobe Hooper
Two siblings and three of their friends en route to visit their grandfather's grave in Texas fall victim to a family of cannibalistic psychopaths.

9. Se7en
Year:
Director: David Fincher
Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, hunt a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his motives.

10. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Year:
Director: Robert Wiene
Hypnotist Dr. Caligari uses a somnambulist, Cesare, to commit murders.

11. Monster
Year:
Director: Patty Jenkins
Based on the life of Aileen Wuornos, a Daytona Beach prostitute who became a serial killer.

12. The Honeymoon Killers
Year:
Director: Leonard Kastle
An obese, embittered nurse doesn't mind if her toupee-wearing boyfriend romances and fleeces other women, as long as he takes her along on his con jobs.

13. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Year:
Director: Scott Glosserman
The next great psycho horror slasher has given a documentary crew exclusive access to his life as he plans his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo.

14. Arsenic and Old Lace
Year:
Director: Frank Capra
A writer of books on the futility of marriage risks his reputation when he decides to get married. Things get even more complicated when he learns on his wedding day that his beloved maiden aunts are habitual murderers.

15. Opera
Year:
Director: Dario Argento
A young opperata is stalked by a deranged fan bent on killing the people associated with her to claim her for himself.

16. Scream
Year:
Director: Wes Craven
A year after the murder of her mother, a teenage girl is terrorized by a new killer, who targets the girl and her friends by using horror films as part of a deadly game.

17. The Vanishing
Year:
Director: George Sluizer
Rex and Saskia, a young couple in love, are on vacation. They stop at a busy service station and Saskia is abducted. After three years and no sign of Saskia, Rex begins receiving letters from the abductor.

18. Halloween
Year:
Director: John Carpenter
Fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield, Illinois to kill again.

19. I Saw The Devil
Year:
Director: Kim Jee-woon
A secret agent exacts revenge on a serial killer through a series of captures and releases.

20. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Year:
Director: John McNaughton
Arriving in Chicago, Henry 'Michael Rooker, in what is undoubtedly the finest performance of his patchy career', moves in with ex-con acquaintance Otis and starts schooling him in the ways of the serial killer.

Caught Night of the Hunter for the first time years ago and that movie is so far ahead of it's time with it's visuals there are scenes in there that almost look new. or "modern".'

The Honeymoon Killers is a strange movie I caught well over ad decade ago on TMC and you can see how it influenced movies like Man Bites Dog and Natural Born Killers.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Watched ,, There will be blood .... it's was cool..... Daniel Day-Lewis acting always be A1, :ehh: about to check out his work in watch Lincoln (film)

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Caught Night of the Hunter for the first time years ago and that movie is so far ahead of it's time with it's visuals there are scenes in there that almost look new. or "modern".'

The Honeymoon Killers is a strange movie I caught well over ad decade ago on TMC and you can see how it influenced movies like Man Bites Dog and Natural Born Killers.
The Night of The Hunter is a classic. It's in my top 5 favorite movies.
Robert Mitchum's performance is so great and the use of shadows and light as well as the way director Charles Laughton used visual inspiration from silent films and the theater were genius.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Karen
A racist, entitled white woman in the South terrorizes her new Black neighbors.

This shyt looks hilarious! :russ:

I scrolled across this on IG too, this can’t be horror movie life.

I’m going into hibernation - wake me up when 2021 is over.
:snoop:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
BS2 is starting off crazy- it’s like these zombies are pumped up on adderal and steroid injections. That run fast asf and breAk through doors and windows with their bodies. Sheeeesh. Like if Walking Dead actually had action scenes with people fighting zombies
black-summer-s2-default-20109776.jpeg

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
BS2 is starting off crazy- it’s like these zombies are pumped up on adderal and steroid injections. That run fast asf and breAk through doors and windows with their bodies. Sheeeesh. Like if Walking Dead actually had action scenes with people fighting zombies
black-summer-s2-default-20109776.jpeg
To add- The first few minutes of this are shown from the first person perspective of the zombie chasing people down - that’s different.
200.gif

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I watched Sacrifice...it starts with a send-up to Lovecraftian horror and Barbara Crampton pops up early-on in a legitimate role. So that got me in the door to give this joint a shot. I didn't enjoy it.

MV5BODczN2JkODUtMGEwZC00NDA0LWFiNTQtYTA1ZGY1NGRiNTRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTMzOTMzMTg@._V1_.jpg

My summary: A man inherits his parents' home in some small Norwegian town unexpectedly. He and his pregnant wife head to the town to look at the place and sell it, but find out that his parents had quite a bit of history there. The couple also discovers that people in this town have a special religion that worships the Slumbering One aka our Cthulu stand-in. As they stay longer, the husband becomes more engrossed in the culture of his birthplace while the wife is weary of the place between her nightmares and the strange behavior of everyone in town.

Let's start on the positive...good sound and music, solid editing, and the director had some shots that I really liked (if you can make boiling eggs ominous, then I respect your framing).

The bad...not enough happens. It's a lot of awkard and ominous conversations and the scare scenes are all dream sequences which removes any stakes. I kept waiting for a big reveal or moment, and was disappointed that it never really delivered. It's all build-up and the payoff didn't hit hard enough imo. The whole thing hinged on bad decisions and convos that were probably intended to be "creepy" felt more awkward than anything. It also didn't really hit the Lovecraftian staples well enough imo. I stan a good Lovecraft "the unknowable drives us mad" narrative, but this one mostly used Lovecraft's inspiration for a setting and some tentacle references. Lovecraft evokes fear with cosmic entities beyond our understanding, and knowledge that we are insignificant as an insect in the scheme of things...the tentacles are cool imagery and fishing villages can be creepy, but they aren't what gets me into the Lovecraftian approach to horror.

All in all, I can't really throw a suggestion to even watch this. It's about an hour and a half build to a payoff that doesn't deliver. I think a lot of love and care did go into the direction and sounds of this movie, but the story needed a faster pace or more action to really hit. Unless you stan Crampton to the heavens, i'd hard pass this. She's always fun to watch but only has a few major scenes.

Last edited: