The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps
The Great 28: Black Charlotteans who are shaping Charlotte - Q City Metro

The Great 28: Black Charlotteans who are shaping Charlotte
Our inaugural list of Charlotte residents who have used their power, platforms and influence to make our city a better place.
Great-28-cover-photo.png

By QCity Metro
February 22, 2021
Sponsored by:

A community foundation helping people, companies and nonprofits make a positive impact through the power of philanthropy. Learn more.

This Black History Month, QCity Metro is celebrating Black excellence by acknowledging Charlotte residents who have used their power, platforms and influence to make our city a better place.

In our first edition of The Great 28, we pay homage to local entrepreneurs, educators, activists, nonprofit executives, government employees and even a high school student.

We acknowledge others equally deserving of this list, which was compiled by staff and reader recommendations. Our sponsor, Foundation For The Carolinas, played no role in the selection process.

J’Tanya Adams
Founder, Historic West End Partners

JTanya-Headshot-2.jpeg

J’Tanya Adams is a bridge builder. No official title does justice to the quiet work she does in support of Historic West End and its cultural and economic development. Her invisible hand has left its mark on some of the most exciting projects happening along the Beatties Ford Road corridor.

Website

Charis Blackmon
Executive Director, West Side Community Land Trust

Charis-Blackmon-Shaping-CLT-1024x684.jpg

Charis Blackmon is addressing housing affordability and homeownership in Charlotte’s rapidly gentrifying west side. Her work alongside west Charlotte neighbors is using the innovative solution of a community land trust model to create permanently affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents.

Website | LinkedIn

Curtis Carroll
Retired Educator

Curtis-Carrill.png

Educators shape the future through the young lives they touch. During his 27 years as a Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools principal and administrators, Curtis Carroll has championed the academic potential of students in Charlotte’s Black and Brown neighborhoods. He retired in 2020 as principal of Vance High School.

Website

Greg & Subrina Collier
Co-owners, Leah & Louise and Uptown Yolk

Greg-Subrina-Collier-Shaping-CLT-1024x683.jpg

Chef Greg and Subrina Collier are part of a new wave of restaurateurs bringing national acclaim to the Queen City — whether it’s through chef’s prestigious James Beard nominations, their ranking as one of the country’s best restaurants or them creating opportunities for Black workers in the hospitality industry.

Website

Carrie Cook
Executive Director, Greenlight Fund – Charlotte

Carrie-Cook-Shaping-CLT.jpg

Carrie Cook is one of Charlotte’s most prominent social entrepreneurs. Her work with the GreenLight Fund’s local office is focused on helping Charlotte families move out of poverty by dedicating more than $3.5 million to tackle social and economic issues. Her nonprofit, EmpowHERment, embraces and empowers teenage girls in our community by providing them with much-needed mentors.

Website | LinkedIn

Shaun “Lucky” Corbett
Co-Founder, Cops & Barbers

Shaun-Corbett-Shaping-CLT.jpg

Shaun Corbett was in the national spotlight after inking a deal to make his Lucky Spot Barbershop the first Black-owned barbershop ever located inside a Walmart store. Before that, his philanthropic efforts were helping bridge the gap between local law enforcement and the Black community through barbering apprenticeships and mentoring.

Website | LinkedIn

Cathay Dawkins
Founder, Black Business Owners of Charlotte

Cathay-Dawkins-CBRW18-1024x680-1.jpg

Cathay Dawkins has built one of the city’s most engaged, grassroots efforts in support of Black entrepreneurs. One of his largest initiatives, Charlotte Black Restaurant Week, has generated more than $1.7 million in economic impact since its inception in 2017.

Website | LinkedIn

Robert Dawkins
Founder/State Organizer, SAFE Coalition NC

Robert-Dawkins-Shaping-CLT-1024x683.jpg

While demanding greater police accountability, Robert Dawkins has worked with law enforcement to reimagine community policing. He’s part of the Charlotte City Council’s Safe Communities’ community input group, which has presented recommendations resulting in changes to the Citizens Review Board, policy changes regarding officers use of deadly force and more.

Website | LinkedIn

Christopher Dennis
Principal, E-Fix Development Corp.

Christopher-Dennis-Shaping-CLT-1024x682.jpg

As economic development comes to Beatties Ford Road’s business district, Christopher Dennis has led the way. He is developing two commercial projects there. Less known are his efforts to renovate homes and provide affordable units in a nearby neighborhood.

Website | LinkedIn

Michael DeVaul
National Director, Boys and Young Men of Color, YMCA of the USA

Michael-DeVaul-1-1024x683-1.jpeg

Michael DeVaul had been a leader at the YMCA of Greater Charlotte before joining the national organization in January. He is a founding member of My Brother’s Keeper Charlotte Mecklenburg and currently serves as its chief strategy officer. He received the Champion of Change Award from the Obama White House.

Website | LinkedIn

Mongai Fankam
Founder, No Backpack Day

123_1.jpeg

Mongai Fankam, a high school senior, is making waves globally. No BackPack Day is a day when American youth are asked to go to school without their backpacks, carrying all their books and supplies in their hands or in plastic bags to raise awareness of the millions of students around the world who walk miles to school without a backpack because they cannot afford one.

Website | LinkedIn

Tiffany Fant
Climate Justice Activist/Community Organizer

Tiffany-Fant-Shaping-CLT.jpg

Tiffany Fant is a cultural and climate justice activist, a community organizer who wears the banner of being a native Charlottean proudly. She is the architect of Sol Nation, which encourages vulnerable communities — particularly Black communities — to own their own solutions.

Website | LinkedIn

Rodney Faulkner
Principal, Boundary Street Advisors

Rodney-Faulkner-Boundary-Street-Advisors.jpg

Rodney Faulkner knows a sweet deal when he sees one. His firm recently brokered a multimillion-dollar deal for the redevelopment of the iconic McDonald’s Cafeteria at the intersection of Beatties Ford Road and LaSalle Street. His success in Charlotte’s commercial real estate space focuses on projects that create jobs and opportunities for local residents.

Website | LinkedIn

Alvin C. Jacobs Jr.
Image Activist

Alvin-Jacobs-Shaping-CLT-1024x683.jpg

Alvin Jacobs is a photo-documentarian who honed his craft on the front lines of social justice movements. His storytelling from behind the lens through exhibits like “K(no)w Justice, K(no)w Peace” and “Welcome to Brookhill,” continues to capture the resiliency of Charlotte’s most marginalized communities in the face of injustice.

Website | LinkedIn

Daps
Taiwo Jaiyeoba
Assistant City Manager, City of Charlotte

Taiwo-Jaiyeoba-Shaping-CLT-2-1.png

As the city of Charlotte’s planning director, Taiwo Jaiyeoba is literally shaping our city’s future. He is part of a team overseeing Charlotte’s 2040 Comprehensive Plan – the city’s first comprehensive plan since 1975 – which is framing what the city’s neighborhoods look like, where infrastructure investments are made, how people get around and where developers can build.

Website | LinkedIn

Michael Jordan
Chairman/Majority Owner, Charlotte Hornets

Michael-Jordan-Shaping-CLT-1024x682.jpg

Michael Jordan gave $7 million to Novant Health, which led to the opening of two Michael Jordan Family Health Clinics crucial to fighting Covid-19 and other public health issues. Last summer, he and the famed Jordan Brand pledged $100 million to multiple organizations over the next decade to help Black communities.

Website

Christopher Moxley
Co-owner, 704 Shop

Christopher-Moxley-Shaping-CLT.png

Christopher Moxley is a branding boss. He is the co-owner of 704Shop, known as Charlotte’s original lifestyle and apparel brand. An innovative licensing agreement with the city of Charlotte allows the brand to legally sell its Crown Collection using the city’s official crown logo.

Website | LinkedIn

Dionne Nelson
President/CEO, Laurel Street

Dionne-Nelson-Shaping-CLT.jpg

In the male-dominated field of real estate development, Dionne Nelson is the founder of Laurel Street. The development company is tackling Charlotte’s affordable housing shortage with a focus on working families and seniors.

Website | LinkedIn

Kass Ottley
Social Justice Activist/Community Organizer

Kass-Ottley-Shaping-CLT.jpg

Kass Ottley organized and led many of Charlotte’s Black Lives Matter marches and protests last summer. She talks directly to the CMPD on a regular basis to address her issues with any policies or practices. Her nonprofit, Seeking Justice Charlotte, fights for systemic change for Charlotte’s marginalized communities.

Facebook | LinkedIn

Henry Rock
Founder/Executive Director, City Startup Labs

Henry-Rock-1-3.jpeg

At least 18 “revenue positive” businesses have been created in Charlotte because of Henry Rock and the nonprofit he launched in 2014. He says more Black entrepreneurship is needed to close the wealth gap in America. He now has turned his focus to include workforce training for citizens returning from incarceration.

Website | LinkedIn

Reggie Singleton
Founder/Executive Director, The Males Place

Reggie-Singleton.jpg

More than 3,200 young “warriors” have been nurtured in Black male leadership by the nonprofit Reggie Singleton founded in 1999. The young men have traveled to east Africa and Cuba to enhance their understanding of world history and the African diaspora. Their annual community garden teaches food independence and provides fresh produce to community elders.

Website | LinkedIn

Steve Smith Sr.
Founder, Steve Smith Family Foundation

Steve-Smith-Shaping-CLT-1024x682.jpg

Former Carolina Panther Steve Smith Sr. and his wife, Angie, founded the Steve Smith Family Foundation, which focuses on awareness and prevention of domestic violence. They pledged more than $350,000 to establish a wellness center that offers free medical and counseling services to low-income, uninsured and underinsured residents. Also, they opened a virtual learning center in uptown Charlotte for CMS K-5 students who fall under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act.

Website | LinkedIn

Charles Thomas
Program Director – Charlotte, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation

charles.png

As Charlotte program director for the Knight Foundation, Charles Thomas has led the foundation’s strategy to elevate community voices and advance equitable and inclusive development in the West End and North End. Since 2015, Knight has also supported local arts and journalism in Charlotte, and has committed more than $25 million investing in Historic West End Partners, West Side Community Land Trust, Local Initiatives Support Corporation, and initiatives to foster technology and community engagement at the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library, Project LIFT, and in the North End Smart District.

Website | LinkedIn

Naomi Thomas
Founder/CEO, The STEM Station

Naomi-Thomas-Shaping-CLT-1024x683.jpeg

Charlotte is building its reputation as home to tech startups, and Naomi Thomas is part of that new class of young entrepreneurs. Through her educational tech company she is equipping participants with skills to increase diversity in STEM careers.

Website | LinkedIn

Rev. Dwayne Walker
Pastor, Little Rock A.M.E. Zion Church

Walker_Little-Rock.jpeg

In the midst of Charlotte’s most painful moments, Rev. Dwayne Walker has opened his church to host community discussions and promote racial healing. Most recently, his church announced plans to develop affordable housing in the city’s urban core.

Website | LinkedIn

Pamela Wideman
Director of Housing & Neighborhood Services, City of Charlotte

Pam-Wideman-Shaping-CLT-1024x683.jpg

Affordable housing has long been a problem in Charlotte, and Covid-19 only made things worse. Keeping residents housed through the pandemic has been a priority for Pamela Wideman, who works to keep the city’s affordable housing developments on track. Recently funded projects are expected to add nearly 1,500 affordable units.

Website | LinkedIn

Shante Williams
Chair, Charlotte Mecklenburg Black Chamber of Commerce

Shante-Williams-Shaping-CLT.jpg

Healthcare venture capitalist Shante Williams is steering the ship for the area’s Black chamber of commerce. As Black businesses navigate the pandemic, Williams has worked with city leaders to earmark financial and technical assistance resources.

Website | LinkedIn

Deborah Woolard
Executive Director, Block Love Charlotte

Deborah-Woolard-Shaping-CLT-2-1024x683.jpg

Deborah Woolard‘s spirit for helping others is fueled by her own experiences with homelessness. Amidst the Covid-19 pandemic, Block Love Charlotte has provided daily meals for houseless neighbors and those in need.

Website | LinkedIn

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
So I was watching the latest ep of The Challenge the topic of OGs not having each other’s backs came up. It reminded me of a situation I was in that was similar my freshman year at A&T.

I don’t know tell me was I wrong.... that’s right y’all it’s Storytime

@ADK @Henry Orbit @LaBellaNicole0416.NYC @CarmelBarbie

Give me about 30 mins.... after I get out the shower I’m gonna post something else from AggieLand:wow:

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Alright so here we go... and again... will try to shorten it up, taking out unnecessary details

STORYTIME

So one night.... during a weekend my freshmen year at A&T (mind you, I’m an old school Aggie, went there before the renovations)

After dinner one night me and some of my boys was chilling in front of the cafe at these tables that used to be out there.

And basically hollering at girls, ultimately pulling some to chat with and was working on trynna smash for the night.

about 2hrs in some other niccas from our hometown roll up, one from my school who I actually graduated with. For the sake of the story we gonna call this nicca Sammy, or really Sam. As he actually has one of them unisex names that can be girl or boy but coming to school he didn’t want to be clowned so he shorted it.

So again we all just chilling flirting with these girls and Sam and another nicca roll up to us all animated. Sam had a busted lip and a little blood on his shirt. Evidently he got set up by some chick and got his ass robbed and whooped. Now he wanted me and some others to have his back and come fight with him. At that point I was like “Na I’m good on that, that ain’t got shyt to do with me”

That nicca looked at me like I was a sucka and they ended up walking away mad.

“Damn BD, it’s like that? WTF?”:mjtf:

Ok let’s rewind and go back for a bit. Again me and Sam went to HS (all 4 years) together and graduated together.

But we was never really friends. We never had smoke or nothing like that other than a few times some words was said back and forth, but we never had legit issues.

We both played sports, I was the Bball player and he was on the wrestling team and don’t sleep, our wrestling was legit. 5 time State champs (that’s all 4 years I was there and the year before) hell they may have some more after I left. Like our gym banners is full of their banners and the team pics hang in the gym.

But me and him really ain’t rock with with each other like that and truth be told, like 8 people from my school came to T with me and only one was like my friend and then she turned to GOD while I became a sick deprived deviant:picard:

So I even though I associated with my fellow Winston niccas, I never rocked with folks I graduated with. Not to mention there was a few times in the clubs when shyt was about to go down on some turf war shyt, Sam never stepped up like he was gonna fight.

So back to the present.... the story goes down that he and his other nicca went to the girls dorm side of campus. And macked some girls and got invited to their dorm.

They got split up but Sam went into this one shorty room and the moment he walked in and the door closed, 2 dudes bashed him in the back of his head, kick him and punched him then robbed him of his cash and dipped.

He knew who it was and claimed dudes was still out there and wanted us to squad up cuz we was a GOON SQUAD and WS niccas that era on campus was DEEEP.

But man..... again.... it’s Friday. Niccas was trynna drink and smash. And hell, he wasn’t my homie I was like that “fukk that shyt nicca, should’ve used some of your wrestling moves”

Niccas started laughing and Sam and his boy just walked alway defeated :mjgrin:

So y’all tell me, was I a foul nicca or should I have risked getting kicked out of school to defend a nicca I ain’t really rock with, but he from my hometown so it’s squad up?:mjlol:

******End of story******

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Man I almost got caught up in that shyt. Luckily I missed it all by at least 10 minutes. There was a lot of bad nights out there but that night in particular was pretty damn bad.

Man..... I was good on all that..... I think if I was younger in my early 20s I would’ve been out there like that in them streets but I kept my distance

Shot out to everyone who was out there

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
Alright so here we go... and again... will try to shorten it up, taking out unnecessary details

STORYTIME

So one night.... during a weekend my freshmen year at A&T (mind you, I’m an old school Aggie, went there before the renovations)

After dinner one night me and some of my boys was chilling in front of the cafe at these tables that used to be out there.

And basically hollering at girls, ultimately pulling some to chat with and was working on trynna smash for the night.

about 2hrs in some other niccas from our hometown roll up, one from my school who I actually graduated with. For the sake of the story we gonna call this nicca Sammy, or really Sam. As he actually has one of them unisex names that can be girl or boy but coming to school he didn’t want to be clowned so he shorted it.

So again we all just chilling flirting with these girls and Sam and another nicca roll up to us all animated. Sam had a busted lip and a little blood on his shirt. Evidently he got set up by some chick and got his ass robbed and whooped. Now he wanted me and some others to have his back and come fight with him. At that point I was like “Na I’m good on that, that ain’t got shyt to do with me”

That nicca looked at me like I was a sucka and they ended up walking away mad.

“Damn BD, it’s like that? WTF?”:mjtf:

Ok let’s rewind and go back for a bit. Again me and Sam went to HS (all 4 years) together and graduated together.

But we was never really friends. We never had smoke or nothing like that other than a few times some words was said back and forth, but we never had legit issues.

We both played sports, I was the Bball player and he was on the wrestling team and don’t sleep, our wrestling was legit. 5 time State champs (that’s all 4 years I was there and the year before) hell they may have some more after I left. Like our gym banners is full of their banners and the team pics hang in the gym.

But me and him really ain’t rock with with each other like that and truth be told, like 8 people from my school came to T with me and only one was like my friend and then she turned to GOD while I became a sick deprived deviant:picard:

So I even though I associated with my fellow Winston niccas, I never rocked with folks I graduated with. Not to mention there was a few times in the clubs when shyt was about to go down on some turf war shyt, Sam never stepped up like he was gonna fight.

So back to the present.... the story goes down that he and his other nicca went to the girls dorm side of campus. And macked some girls and got invited to their dorm.

They got split up but Sam went into this one shorty room and the moment he walked in and the door closed, 2 dudes bashed him in the back of his head, kick him and punched him then robbed him of his cash and dipped.

He knew who it was and claimed dudes was still out there and wanted us to squad up cuz we was a GOON SQUAD and WS niccas that era on campus was DEEEP.

But man..... again.... it’s Friday. Niccas was trynna drink and smash. And hell, he wasn’t my homie I was like that “fukk that shyt nicca, should’ve used some of your wrestling moves”

Niccas started laughing and Sam and his boy just walked alway defeated :mjgrin:

So y’all tell me, was I a foul nicca or should I have risked getting kicked out of school to defend a nicca I ain’t really rock with, but he from my hometown so it’s squad up?:mjlol:

******End of story******
You wasn’t wrong in my eyes. I wouldn’t have risked anything for somebody I didn’t rock with like that. Hell, i don’t like ppl that bring miscellaneous nikkas to my place. It’s just not gonna happen